Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #1411
Brianyear
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOrange View Post
I was thinking about maybe 1oz, does anyone have any input on this?
That should be fine.
1 oz. per gallon is a good rule of thumb.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #1412
onipar
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOrange View Post
So i racked off a gallon of this and threw in half a cinnamon stick, some whole all spice, and a little under a 1/4 cup of brown sugar. I was going to let it sit for around 3-4 days and remove the spices. Ive never bottle anything less than 5 gallons so i was wondering how much priming sugar to use. I was thinking about maybe 1oz, does anyone have any input on this?
I bottled 1 gallon the other day and used .7 oz (assuming .9 gallons after loss, 75 degrees bottle conditioning temp, and 2.25 volumes of Co2).

Today I'm bottling the other 4 gallons and I'm using about 3 oz of sugar, with much of the same from above (2.25 volumes CO2, 3.9 gallons after trub, etc).

Old 08-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #1413
RobWalker
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Just added some more malt to mine because of a low OG - 1.032 - very different recipe to this one. It's graff now though, through and through! How fast are people generally drinking this when it's ready? I had a sneak taste today and it was fizzy from residual co2 - very peculiar.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:58 PM   #1414
onipar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobWalker View Post
Just added some more malt to mine because of a low OG - 1.032 - very different recipe to this one. It's graff now though, through and through! How fast are people generally drinking this when it's ready? I had a sneak taste today and it was fizzy from residual co2 - very peculiar.
I had a 4 oz taster glass of this today when I bottled, and I'll tell you what I told my brother: I'd drink it "still" straight from the bucket.

To me, even before carbonation and bottle conditioning, this stuff tastes awesome. The apple flavor shines bright, it's dry, but somehow still has a touch of sweet. It is ever so slightly tart, but balanced really nice.

I haven't yet tasted it finished, but if it tastes this good before conditioning, I imagine I'll start drinking them after 3 weeks in the bottle.

In fact--if I remember correctly--the whole point of adding the 1 gallon wort is to get a cider that's balanced and ready to drink in "beer aged" times rather than the usual months a cider takes.

Oh, and I think I detected a little fizz as well.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:52 AM   #1415
RobWalker
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

It definitely tasted well balanced thinking about it so I'll give you that one! With an extra 500g Malt Extract in there, it should taste sweeter when it's ready. FG was 1.010 but it might not have finished fermenting, I wait until it's clear every time

Old 08-21-2011, 04:53 AM   #1416
onipar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobWalker View Post
It definitely tasted well balanced thinking about it so I'll give you that one! With an extra 500g Malt Extract in there, it should taste sweeter when it's ready. FG was 1.010 but it might not have finished fermenting, I wait until it's clear every time
What yeast are you using? I used safale us-05, and it fermented out to 1.002 (from an OG of 1.060), so yeah, probably a bit more to go.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #1417
GeoGirl
Recipes 

Made this yesterday with a couple alterations as suggested by the guy at my LHBS. I used 1# Amber DME and 2# Light DME (extra 1# based off his suggestion). Then 15 minutes into the boil, I added 1 whole nutmeg and 1 cinnamon stick. Took my OG and it was at 1.066. Drank the sample I pulled for my reading and it was YUMMY. Can not wait for this one to get into the bottle.

~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~
On Deck:
Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Belgian Ale; Ober-Easy; Quaker's Ale

Old 08-22-2011, 06:56 PM   #1418
Ruffhouse_Brewing
Recipes 

OK- I tried this about a month ago, followed the instructions as best I could, OG 1.063, FG 1.006, it's been kegged for about a month, and it seems pretty harsh to me.... Obviously at 7.3% its going to have some bite, but does anyone think I may have done something else wrong? It's just not as drinkable as I would have imagined.

Casey Ruff

Ruffhouse Brewing Co.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:30 AM   #1419
Fanoffermentation
Recipes 

Ruffhouse, how is it harsh? Hops too prominent, no apple taste, etc. When I have made this, at about 3 wks the apple taste is often subdued, and the hops noticeable. As it hits 4-5 wks the apple shines and the hops have settled in nicely. I presume storage temp and other variables could all influence this though. People just love this stuff that have tried mine.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:39 PM   #1420
Ruffhouse_Brewing
Recipes 

To me the alcohol is a bit too much and it tastes a bit sour. The other night we tried a trick that one of our friends used to do when drinking cider- salt! Kinda strange, but it seemed to mellow out the sour taste. But that was my first batch of anything cider-like anyway, and I'm kinda a noob, so I didn't know if that's what it was supposed to turn out like.

Casey Ruff

Ruffhouse Brewing Co.

Quick Reply