Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #1381
MrOrange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Started my second batch of this last week. I was thinking about racking off a gallon after fermentation was done and adding some spices to it. I was thinking cinnamon stick, allspice, nutmeg, and maybe a clove. Does anyone here have any experience with any of these spices in this Graff? If so, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #1382
onipar
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOrange View Post
Started my second batch of this last week. I was thinking about racking off a gallon after fermentation was done and adding some spices to it. I was thinking cinnamon stick, allspice, nutmeg, and maybe a clove. Does anyone here have any experience with any of these spices in this Graff? If so, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hey, I've been cataloging my experience with a 1 gallon spiced test batch in this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/spicing-graff-255199/

If you read through, you'll see I list how much I use, tasting notes, etc. The only thing is, this is my first time doing it, and I won't be bottling till this weekend. I'll post more tasting notes on bottling day about how it tastes coming out of the primary.

Currently it's been "spiced" in the bucket for less than a week.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #1383
GeoGirl
Recipes 

Ok, I have spent the past 3 days reading through just about every post in this Graff thread. I think it will be close to what I am looking for but have a question. Has anyone added in cinnamon & nutmeg for an apple pie flavor? I saw this asked a couple times but never any answers. Would I want to add the spices in at the boil or in the fermentation?

~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~
On Deck:
Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Belgian Ale; Ober-Easy; Quaker's Ale

Old 08-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #1384
onipar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGirl View Post
Ok, I have spent the past 3 days reading through just about every post in this Graff thread. I think it will be close to what I am looking for but have a question. Has anyone added in cinnamon & nutmeg for an apple pie flavor? I saw this asked a couple times but never any answers. Would I want to add the spices in at the boil or in the fermentation?
See my post above yours.

I wouldn't necessarily say I was going for "apple pie," but I'm sure it'll come out something like that. I put my spices into primary because it's a 1 gallon test batch, and I wanted the other 4 gallons to be the regular recipe.

Check out the thread I posted.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #1385
GeoGirl
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onipar View Post
See my post above yours.

I wouldn't necessarily say I was going for "apple pie," but I'm sure it'll come out something like that. I put my spices into primary because it's a 1 gallon test batch, and I wanted the other 4 gallons to be the regular recipe.

Check out the thread I posted.
Thanks! I just checked that out. Thinking that this might be the weekend for me to do some experimenting :-)

~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~
On Deck:
Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Belgian Ale; Ober-Easy; Quaker's Ale

Old 08-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #1386
onipar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGirl View Post
Thanks! I just checked that out. Thinking that this might be the weekend for me to do some experimenting :-)
Cool! Be sure to let me know what you do and how it works out. You can post it in the "spicing a graff" thread. I'm particularly excited to see how my vanilla sugar "bottle primer" works out.

My Official Website

Horror and Homebrew: YouTube Channel

My Books:
Soundtrack to the End of the World
Welcome to Moon Hill

Old 08-11-2011, 05:23 AM   #1387
BootsyFlanootsy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've made a few batches of this stuff by now and have to say I was never very happy with it. Honestly, over time it seems most cider becomes quite acidic if a malo-lactic fermentation never takes place. All that malic acid makes for a pretty unpalatable beverage in my experience. I suppose if you make this stuff, ferment it quickly, fine it quickly, keg it quickly, ( NOT BOTTLE CONDITIONING), and drink it quickly it could be great. but that's all I can see....this seems like a drink that should made and drank quickly, it doesn't seem to age well. take it for what it's worth.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #1388
MrOrange
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsyFlanootsy View Post
this seems like a drink that should made and drank quickly, it doesn't seem to age well. take it for what it's worth.
Thats odd. the last batch I made didn't seem to really start tasting good until like 2 months after bottling IMO

Old 08-11-2011, 01:50 PM   #1389
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOrange View Post
Thats odd. the last batch I made didn't seem to really start tasting good until like 2 months after bottling IMO
I agree. Mine was best after about 4 months.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #1390
BootsyFlanootsy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have some 16oz bottles sitting around that are damned near a year old and they just taste like super dry, tart, acidic champagne made out of apple juice. I always used the best top notch cider I could get my hands on, and yes, it was pasteurized. The last batch I used the West Yorkshire, ( Timothy Taylor), yeast. Still wound up at 0.990. I'd love to try a bottle of this from someone who says it doesn't wind up all chalky, dry and tart though.

Quick Reply