Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2010, 05:13 PM   #1101
bierhaus15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I just bottled a small batch of Graff I made about a month ago and it tastes AMAZING. I really couldn't believe how good it tastes and I can only hope it gets even better after a few weeks. I did do a few changes to the recipe though; I used some second runnings from a Dubbel I brewed and steeped a mulled cider tea bag in lieu of hops. I also fermented it with WY1469 west yorkshire.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #1102
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I did a quick search and didn't really find anyone saying that they've added sugars to this. I know in the OP he says that he made this to get away from the crappy sugar stuff, but I'm thinking about adding 2 lbs of piloncillo http://www.saucenspice.com/product_i...27815_zoom.jpg to add a caramel touch with a good bit of added abv.

Thoughts?

Old 12-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #1103
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I just tried my graff last night and sadly, I am not loving it. Still tastes like a young harsh cider, not getting the maltiness and hops to show through very well. Not a lot of flavor to it. I am only on week 4 so I am hoping that week 5 is magical, otherwise in the keg it will stay and I will keep trying weekly, or I will get out some fresh cider and doctor the flavor

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 12-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #1104
jamesjensen1068
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPint View Post
I did a quick search and didn't really find anyone saying that they've added sugars to this. I know in the OP he says that he made this to get away from the crappy sugar stuff, but I'm thinking about adding 2 lbs of piloncillo http://www.saucenspice.com/product_i...27815_zoom.jpg to add a caramel touch with a good bit of added abv.

Thoughts?
I thought about doing a batch with some lactose. Has anyone tried that?

Cheers

Old 12-21-2010, 08:39 PM   #1105
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjensen1068 View Post
I thought about doing a batch with some lactose. Has anyone tried that?

Cheers
I haven't toyed with lactose just yet. Would some of the advantages be mellowing the acid? I have had ciders do maalolactic fermentation but never encouraged one with a culture addition. This might be interesting

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 12-22-2010, 02:19 AM   #1106
jvino
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just kegged up a batch. 3 weeks in primary and 3 days in the keg. It has a weird sour/appley taste on the finish. Can't really taste the malt backbone or the hops. Will it mellow out?? OG 1.065, FG 1.006. Used Safale-05

Old 12-22-2010, 12:11 PM   #1107
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvino View Post
Just kegged up a batch. 3 weeks in primary and 3 days in the keg. It has a weird sour/appley taste on the finish. Can't really taste the malt backbone or the hops. Will it mellow out?? OG 1.065, FG 1.006. Used Safale-05
I used the same yeast and have the same results as you. Just sorta eh, sour cider. I think mine is going to be riding in the keg for a long while. Left it out 4 weeks and kegged it two nights ago.

here is to hoping!

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 12-23-2010, 12:48 AM   #1108
Powers
Recipes 

cidah, my blending experiment continues. i made a real sweet caramel beer with some 60L and 120L and fermented it with nottingham at about 62 degrees for 8 days. then i warmed it up to 70 degrees for 3 days, and at the same time, i put my cider in the fridge at near freezing for those 3 days. then i warmed up the cider to 60 degrees and blended the two. now i just have to hope that wine yeast doesn't kick back up to take out my residual malty sweetness from the beer

Old 12-23-2010, 05:40 AM   #1109
Cookiedds
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannable1975 View Post
I have just spent 3 hours !!! reading every post in this thread, and have decided that on Christmas afternoon I am gonna brew up a batch of this and pitch onto a cake of S-04 that I will be racking off of on that day..... if I can wait that long.
I'm brewing this Christmas day myself. Using Maris Otter as my base malt but I haven't decided if I am using Safale 04, 05 or Nottingham yeast yet.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:59 AM   #1110
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers View Post
cidah, my blending experiment continues. i made a real sweet caramel beer with some 60L and 120L and fermented it with nottingham at about 62 degrees for 8 days. then i warmed it up to 70 degrees for 3 days, and at the same time, i put my cider in the fridge at near freezing for those 3 days. then i warmed up the cider to 60 degrees and blended the two. now i just have to hope that wine yeast doesn't kick back up to take out my residual malty sweetness from the beer
cool! are you putting it back in the refrig or letting sit out at room temp for a while now that you have blended it? How did you make the beer (your proportions fo 60L and 120L)? I am very interested to see how this turns out because this may be a great way to revive some young dry cider for early kegging.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Quick Reply