Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #1081
Powers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

cidah - there's got to be some good info on how to kill off the wine yeast because it's commonly done for sweetening up wines before bottling. now i just have to take the initiative to find it

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #1082
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers View Post
cidah - there's got to be some good info on how to kill off the wine yeast because it's commonly done for sweetening up wines before bottling. now i just have to take the initiative to find it
True, but you typically age the wines or ciders a minimum of 3-4months plus. If done at a lower temperature 45-55F for 4 months, that should wipe out all the active yeast. Then you sorbate, then you sweeten.

If you do come across a silver bullet let me know, I have done a lot of reading and short of chemical additions, found nadda.

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 12-10-2010, 08:21 PM   #1083
Powers
Recipes 

Yooper is a moderator here, and I trust her judgement, and she has posted the following advice on stopping wine yeast from working after bottling:

"If you're sweetening the cider, you'll wait until it's done, then rack into campden and sorbate, wait a couple of days and sweeten to taste. Wait a couple of days, and then you can bottle in wine bottles if you wish. (You wait to ensure fermentation doesn't restart before bottling). But like I said, if you're not adding sweeteners, and the FG of the cider is stable, you can just bottle."

Old 12-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #1084
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

First of all I think the point being discussed is moot anyhow. If you are going to add them into each other and one has additions of k-meta and sorbate, you are suppressing both strains. I say mix them both without any additions, let them ferment out to whatever dryness, then back sweeten and carb with CO2. If you are looking to halt fermentation, mix up enough k-meta for 30-50 ppm and sorbate for the whole batch. When it comes to carbonation you will have to use CO2.

My point is that you can't halt the fermentation of the cider one, then mix it with the beer one and expect to carb naturally in bottles. The additions will affect both. You need CO2.

I agree with all that yooper said with the caveats I previously stated. If FG is near 1.000 then you are good. However the minute you add sugar back in, you are adding food and creating a chance for fermentation (i.e. increasing the gravity).

Potassium Metabisulphite suppresses most wild yeast strains but only slows commercial yeasts, it does not kill them unless you sulphite the snot out of them. Sorbate doesn't kill yeast, it suppresses reproduction (if you have a good supply in there they will have at your new sugar addition).

I was just letting you know the risks.

As with many things there are no guarantees, so have at it. I was giving you the back story so you could make the call.

good luck!

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 12-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #1085
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 462 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 3

has anybody tried this with base malt like say, Maris Otter? And some c-80. I don't have any extract on hand, but I have 10 pounds of MO and 1.5 lbs of c80 layin around that I'd like to use up. Anybody think this is a decent idea, or am I setting up for another disappointment?

Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #1086
platypotamus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just bottled my second batch of this delicious brew. I used cider from a local orchard, went all-grain this time, and used up some leftover hops:

5gal fresh local cider
5lb Maris Otter
4oz Crystal 60
4oz Crystal 120
2oz wheat

.6oz Willamette @ 30min
.1oz EKG @30min
.2oz EKG @ 5min

OG = 1.065
FG = 1.004
ABV = 8%
sample tasted great - tart, and somewhat "champagney". I found that my first batch was prefect after about 2-3 weeks in bottle.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:15 PM   #1087
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by platypotamus View Post
I just bottled my second batch of this delicious brew. I used cider from a local orchard, went all-grain this time, and used up some leftover hops:

5gal fresh local cider
5lb Maris Otter
4oz Crystal 60
4oz Crystal 120
2oz wheat

.6oz Willamette @ 30min
.1oz EKG @30min
.2oz EKG @ 5min

OG = 1.065
FG = 1.004
ABV = 8%
sample tasted great - tart, and somewhat "champagney". I found that my first batch was prefect after about 2-3 weeks in bottle.
Did you make the batch previously with a store bought apple juice/cider (I used crystal 60-70L with musslemans apple cider)? I am wondering how different the flavor profile is with fresh cider vs. apple juice. My assumption is that is is much better, but I didn't want to dedicate 4 gallons of my fresh pressed cider to it until I tried the recipe once.

My first batch is almost 3 weeks old from start. Going to carb it for 2-3 weeks and try it then. Looking forward to giving it a go soon!

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 12-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #1088
Powers
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
As with many things there are no guarantees, so have at it. I was giving you the back story so you could make the call.
good luck!
your advice is well taken, i hadn't thought of the sorbate killing off the ale yeast for bottle priming. and my keg will not be the final destination for this cider, so force carb is not an option. i think i'll cold crash the cider and wine yeast for a few days, then blend the two. if the wine yeast rejuvinates, oh well. it's all in the good spirit of experimentation thanks cidah!

Old 12-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #1089
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

No problem powers. I agree - cold crash, mix it and let the yeast decide

Either way you won't likely make this recipe the same way again, but I bet you will end up drinking it no matter how it turns out

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 12-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #1090
Powers
Recipes 

yeah, this was a little backwards and i will definitely do the recipe with all ale yeast next time. in the meantime, this frigid weather has my beer fermenting at close to 60 degrees under the stairs in the basement with nottingham ale yeast...thankfully i used a strain resilient to cold temps!

Quick Reply