Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2010, 04:15 PM   #1021
akthor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

I used Nottingham on my first batch it took about 3 or 4 days to start showing any airlock activity. I was afraid I had got some of the recalled notty.

I used Safale on the next batch and fermention was vigorous within 12 hrs.

Also the Notty batch stopped having airlock activity like 3 days after it started.

The Safale batch had activity for over 2 weeks.

Can't comparre tastes yet but I will when I have drank both.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2010, 08:40 PM   #1022
BootsyFlanootsy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I can safely say that the smack pack of west yorkshire I used was fermenting away within 6 hours of pitching. As to how it tastes; remains to be seen. I took a gravity reading yesterday and it was down to about 1.019. Unfortunately, I forgot to get an OG, ( though I could plug the numbers in and get a good rough equivalent I suppose),. I bumped the temps up a couple of degrees in the hopes of speeding the process up. I'd like to get it down to around 1.005-1.008. Problem is though, I have no kegging system so I'll need to bottle condition. This is only a problem due to the fact that I added too much wheat and the cider has the visual appeal of a flooded creek in july. I will be taking Akthor's suggestion and adding some polyclar to clear it. From my reading, I gather that this will kill off any yeast in suspension, (or elsewhere), and that I would then need to repitch a yeast to bottle carb, ( even if that means harvesting some from the trub before adding the polyclar, obviously I would wash it first),. This seems to dictate to me that it will end up dry no matter what I do as even the bottling strain will eat up the remaining sugars and I also don't want bottle bombs.

The other thing I've been contemplating is a slight dry hopping due to the fact that the hops, ( EKG's), were barely noticeable in the sample, probably due to the fact that the excess sweetness from the wheat has overwhelmed the boil hops flavor. I was thinking perhaps clearing the cider and then racking onto 1/4oz of the EKG's for a day or two at most.

Any thoughts?

Old 11-17-2010, 02:18 AM   #1023
tippetsnapper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsyFlanootsy View Post
I can safely say that the smack pack of west yorkshire I used was fermenting away within 6 hours of pitching. As to how it tastes; remains to be seen. I took a gravity reading yesterday and it was down to about 1.019. Unfortunately, I forgot to get an OG, ( though I could plug the numbers in and get a good rough equivalent I suppose),. I bumped the temps up a couple of degrees in the hopes of speeding the process up. I'd like to get it down to around 1.005-1.008. Problem is though, I have no kegging system so I'll need to bottle condition. This is only a problem due to the fact that I added too much wheat and the cider has the visual appeal of a flooded creek in july. I will be taking Akthor's suggestion and adding some polyclar to clear it. From my reading, I gather that this will kill off any yeast in suspension, (or elsewhere), and that I would then need to repitch a yeast to bottle carb, ( even if that means harvesting some from the trub before adding the polyclar, obviously I would wash it first),. This seems to dictate to me that it will end up dry no matter what I do as even the bottling strain will eat up the remaining sugars and I also don't want bottle bombs. Get your flavor where you want it and worry about clarity for your next batch.

The other thing I've been contemplating is a slight dry hopping due to the fact that the hops, ( EKG's), were barely noticeable in the sample, probably due to the fact that the excess sweetness from the wheat has overwhelmed the boil hops flavor. I was thinking perhaps clearing the cider and then racking onto 1/4oz of the EKG's for a day or two at most.

Any thoughts?
I would avoid the dry hops and I would avoid fermentation temps too much above 70F. Give it time to finish, then add whatever sugar you want to use before bottling, then use methods others have posted to get your proper carbonation without arming bottle bombs.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy...g-pics-193295/

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy"

Last edited by tippetsnapper; 11-17-2010 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Edited for alcohol induced spelling errors

Old 11-17-2010, 08:10 PM   #1024
Ciderzen
Recipes 

Please forgive me if this is a noobish question, but what type of hops (leaf hops, pellet hops, or hop plugs?) would I want to use for this recipe?

I only ever made wine-style cider before, and so using grains, malt and hops will be a new experience for me. I am very much looking forward to trying it though.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #1025
BootsyFlanootsy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ciderzen-

you can use any of them. best bet is to get a muzlin/chzcloth bag, and put them in that to keep them from becoming a mess to be dealt with.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:06 AM   #1026
akthor
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

I used hop plugs since it was the only kind I could find in the right bitterness range.

Tonite in preperation for Sunday's big get together I jumped my 1st batch of Graff to a clean keg to make sure it would be as clear as possible. Before I transferred I pulled off a 1/2 pint to taste...........OMG it is friggin delicious! I will always be having this in the rotation!

Old 11-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #1027
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I am going to give GRAFF a go in the next day or so. I picked up the ingredients today but had some changes:
60-70L Crystal (they didn't have the 50)
Using cascade hops (pellets)
Yeast will be safale-05

This is my first quasi beer brew, so it should be interesting. Definitely looking forward to making my apples work for me in a new way

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 11-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #1028
FenoMeno
Recipes 

What is the correct serving temp for graff?

Old 11-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #1029
Ciderzen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenoMeno View Post
I am no expert here, and have not made it yet, but if it is similar to commercial ciders then anywhere from slightly chilled to ice cold would do it depending on your preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsyFlanootsy View Post
Ciderzen-

you can use any of them. best bet is to get a muzlin/chzcloth bag, and put them in that to keep them from becoming a mess to be dealt with.
Thanks bootsy - I bought the ingredients, the LHBS had everything (he is VERY well stocked). Got Czech Saaz hop pellets to use now.

So I'll be following Brandon O's recipe to the letter, except I'll add in a bit of yeast nutrient to hedge my bets against bad smells and also some pectic enzyme since I'll be using fresh-pressed, unfiltered cider from a local mill (pasteurized, but with no preservatives). I also have the Munton's carb tabs for carbonation - I know they will add sediment but they should be the most simple for me to use for my first time.

I will be doing my primary in a 7 gallon plastic bucket, and will probably rack into a secondary carboy when fermentation slows but before it is finished, in order to get the graff off the dead yeast. Do you guys think this is necessary, just a good idea, or a waste of time? It will mean two rackings, one to secondary (carboy), and then again into the bottling bucket, so this could potentially oxygenate it too much. What do you think?

Last edited by Ciderzen; 11-19-2010 at 12:56 PM.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #1030
munklunk
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenoMeno View Post
...cold?

"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post

I know one thing... if there's a depression and beer companies go out of business... I'm selling my homebrew.
Huckleberry Brewing

Pride of the Northside

Quick Reply