Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #991
Recluse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Bottle priming with DME will not add much sweetness because the yeast will eat up the sugars just like regular priming sugar. Might add a little maltiness, but that's it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 12:17 AM   #992
petergriffen
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
I'm surprised. EC-1118 usually tears through everything. I do usually rehydrate it, though, following the directions on the packet. Not really a STARTER, per se.
Pitched the second one and it got bubbling a bit, hopefully enough to drop it down a few points

Quote:
Originally Posted by akthor View Post
Has anybody racked a new batch in on top of the yeast cake from another batch of graff?
Same question, I'm about to even though I didnt have much luck with the EC-1118....could also be slow since it's 55 in here.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:30 AM   #993
jar234psu
Recipes 

I just took my final hydrometer reading and WOW!!! This is positively delicious. I opted for the Crystal 120, and used 0.35 oz of cascade. I used Windsor instead of notty, since the LHBS was out of it... and it ended up finishing a bit on the sweet side which is fine with me. I didnt take an OG reading, but my estimate is about 1.060, and it finished at 1.011.

The thing that (i think) makes it so damned good, is I used 4 gallons of fresh, locally pressed cider from the farmers market here in NC. I did not boil it, and just threw caution to the wind. It had a little K sorbate (0.01%) which slowed the fermentation down quite a bit, but really did not end up affecting the final product.

I am definitely going to pick up another 8-10 gallons before the season is over. Does anyone know how well this keeps? I'd love to serve it over the summer.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #994
darksidedrinker
Recipes 

Default sugar for bottling Graff

Does this get primed when being bottled and if so with what and how much is recommended? Thanks

Old 10-29-2010, 10:44 PM   #995
djinn88
Recipes 

My search of this thread led me to no definitive answer.... I need some info on priming with dextrose or light DME, I would prefer to use my dextrose. Please let me know how much weight per gallon. I have about 4.5 gallons if you would like to do the math for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
If the inside of your fermenter looks like there was a monkey pooh throwing contest...you're golden.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:06 AM   #996
Recluse
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I generally prime with 1 oz (by weight) dextrose per gallon of Brew. Using DME, approximately 2 oz (by weight) per gallon according to references I have seen. I have never used DME to prime personally.

Here is a handy priming calculator that you can use to determine your desired level of carbonation based on style etc.. calculates for Dextrose, Sucrose, DME

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Old 10-31-2010, 10:48 PM   #997
jabumbo
Recipes 

just pitched the yeast for my batch. OG = 1.058

i couldn't get any of the torrified wheat, and i subconsciously stuck the entire pound of crystal 60L into the pot because that's the smallest size i could get at the brew shop.

very excited to compare this to the other 3 batches of cider i started today as well!

Last edited by jabumbo; 11-01-2010 at 01:52 PM.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:38 AM   #998
jameshig
Recipes 

Hey, this is my first post, go easy on me please.

I found this recipe googling around for brewing ciders and it has just come out of the primary fermentation into bottles.

I tried it and it's actually got really good flavor, but it's not sweet at all. When I brew this again, which I will because I'm kind of a perfectionist, I am wondering what I should add to kick up the sweetness. I tried to read through the entire thread, but there are 100 pages.

Also, I didn't add any dextrose to the bottles for secondary fermentation. When I do my second batch, should I do this? What does this add exactly? I'm guessing it allows whatever yeast is left to continue to ferment drying out the beer and adding more carbonation? If this is the only thing it does, then I guess I don't need another addition as it's pretty dry as it is.

I am also getting a little bit of a sour note at the very finish- does anyone have any idea what could cause this?

I did not take a hydrometer reading before starting the fermentation process, but took it before we started bottling. It was at 1010- does this equate to the current alcohol content (I think 1.5%)?

I loved the idea of using hops and malt in the cider, this was a fantastic find.

Sorry for all the questions in one post and thank you.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #999
Recluse
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshig View Post

Also, I didn't add any dextrose to the bottles for secondary fermentation. When I do my second batch, should I do this? What does this add exactly? I'm guessing it allows whatever yeast is left to continue to ferment drying out the beer and adding more carbonation? If this is the only thing it does, then I guess I don't need another addition as it's pretty dry as it is.
The Dextrose is for the purposes of carbonation. It will not dry things out appreciably as all the fermentable sugars have already been dealt with. The small amount of priming sugar is added to generate CO2 to carbonate the beverage. I guess you can drink it still, but I like my ciders bubbly and since this is sort of between a beer and a cider, I don't think it would taste too good flat.

Quote:

I am also getting a little bit of a sour note at the very finish- does anyone have any idea what could cause this?
It will probably mellow with age. All ciders have this to some extent or other.

Quote:
I did not take a hydrometer reading before starting the fermentation process, but took it before we started bottling. It was at 1010- does this equate to the current alcohol content (I think 1.5%)?
Without a starting gravity reading, this measurement is useless for predicting alcohol. GENERALLY following the recipe gives a starting gravity around 1.058-1.064 or thereabouts.. so your 1010 final gravity reading would equate to about

6.3-7 %ABV

Old 11-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #1000
akthor
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

If you want it sweeter I imagine you could backsweeten it with some sort of non-fermentable sweetner like lactose.

Quick Reply