Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Dave's Carmel Apple Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2012, 12:48 PM   #21
RelicBrewingSupply
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I usually let the concentrates sit out so they are liquid before I add them and simply stir in with my mash paddle. A little stirring and it will be thoroughly mixed, no need to put it in a paint shaker

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #22
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelicBrewingSupply View Post
I usually let the concentrates sit out so they are liquid before I add them and simply stir in with my mash paddle. A little stirring and it will be thoroughly mixed, no need to put it in a paint shaker
+1

Just made my second batch of this for a party, again not making it as sweet as.the original, big hit with everyone and it is all gone, good thing i have another 6 gallons fermenting as I write this!

Old 02-01-2012, 01:00 AM   #23
Soggyfoot
Recipes 

Hi all. I just started brewing so forgive me if this is a less than intelligent question.

I made this cider as the recipe called for. When I bottled 3 weeks ago I noticed that some of the syrup wouldn't dissolve in the bottling bucket. Not thinking too much of it i added the concentrate and bottled. It had a good flavor right from the bucket. A week later I tried it and it was excellent. At 2 weeks it was like eating a freshly dipped caramel apple.

Now for the problem. It's week three, I haven't had any for a week so I'm at work really looking forward to a nice cold caramel cider. I get home and pop one. After the eruption of bubbles (luckily I was in my basement) I figured out that it carbonated itself in the bottle. Now this wouldn't be a problem but it mixes up the sediment at the bottom of the bottle and is really, really fizzy. I don't know what to do. I have thought running through reanging from pop all the remaining bottles (30) and filter to drink quickly (not good when I just started a new job a week ago and have been told i will be made foreman in a couple more weeks).

Basically I'm new to brewing and don't know what to do, please help.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:44 AM   #24
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soggyfoot View Post
Hi all. I just started brewing so forgive me if this is a less than intelligent question.

I made this cider as the recipe called for. When I bottled 3 weeks ago I noticed that some of the syrup wouldn't dissolve in the bottling bucket. Not thinking too much of it i added the concentrate and bottled. It had a good flavor right from the bucket. A week later I tried it and it was excellent. At 2 weeks it was like eating a freshly dipped caramel apple.

Now for the problem. It's week three, I haven't had any for a week so I'm at work really looking forward to a nice cold caramel cider. I get home and pop one. After the eruption of bubbles (luckily I was in my basement) I figured out that it carbonated itself in the bottle. Now this wouldn't be a problem but it mixes up the sediment at the bottom of the bottle and is really, really fizzy. I don't know what to do. I have thought running through reanging from pop all the remaining bottles (30) and filter to drink quickly (not good when I just started a new job a week ago and have been told i will be made foreman in a couple more weeks).

Basically I'm new to brewing and don't know what to do, please help.
First of all, be VERY CAREFUL, sounds like a recipe for bottle bombs. Did you pasteurize or anything to kill the yeast? If not, I would open them all up and get them out of there before they open themselves in glass grenades. What yeast did you use? If you get them super cold, they may not continue to ferment, but I think you'd be taking a chance!

Old 02-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #25
Soggyfoot
Recipes 

I did not pasteurize but i did use Campden tablets after the fermenting stopped.

Also last night when i opened 2 bottles both erupted with carbonation. Today i opened 2 and they were carbonated but not more than I would expect if I was trying to bottle carb them.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:13 AM   #26
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soggyfoot View Post
I did not pasteurize but i did use Campden tablets after the fermenting stopped.

Also last night when i opened 2 bottles both erupted with carbonation. Today i opened 2 and they were carbonated but not more than I would expect if I was trying to bottle carb them.
Hopefully someone else will chime in since i am nowhere near an expert, but I do not think that Campden tablets are enough to stop fermentation, you also need Potassium Sorbate.

I would be careful and store those suckers really really cold and drink them FAST.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #27
RelicBrewingSupply
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You are correct, however. When I made the recipe though I had no intention of stopping fermentation as I wanted a carbonated cider not a still cider. If you let them ferment all the way through they don't make bottle bombs, or if you prefer to keg then YES also add the K sorbate and force carb.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #28
RelicBrewingSupply
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soggyfoot

I also had a similar issue once, not sure if it was a bottle cleanliness issue or the yeast, I only use Nottingham. However when I first made this the first 3 batches were with White Labs Nottingham and came out great but I did have then next batch with Danstar Nottingham explode half my bottles but I've done 4 more batches since then, some with White Labs and some with Danstar. Not sure really what the reason was but it hasn't happened since. I can only think something wasn't properly cleaned, someone was down shaking bottles or I had a bad batch of yeast.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #29
Soggyfoot
Recipes 

Ok so i popped all the remaining bottles open. A few of them sounded like opening champagne bottles, there was so much pressure built up. Once i cleaned my basement of all the mess from the eruptions of each bottle i now have roughly 1/2 a batch left.

I am now waiting for it to finish out the renewed fermentation before proceeding. This has now become an experiment to see what happens.

I am heading out to get the materials for a second batch. I really enjoyed this recipe, and got nothing but compliments, before this fizzy fits problem started.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:40 AM   #30
RelicBrewingSupply
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yep, I did a smaller batch test and for some reason this Danstar Nottingham is making bombs and my batches with WhiteLabs Nottingham are coming out great. I'm sanitizing the hell out of everything with hot water and iodine.

Quick Reply