Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Dave's Carmel Apple Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #201
sar_dog_1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

gonna try a one gallon baych tonite!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #202
TechyDork
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald46
This is my first try at cider and I followed the recipe exactly. The cider has been in the bottles 13 days. Last night one of the bottles exploded in the closet I had them stored in. It scared my wife so bad she wouldn't walk down the hall until I covered the bottles up with a beach towel. Today I took one of the bottles which had been in the fridge for 2 days outside and opened it. The cider foamed out until I poured some in a glass. There was also a lot of floating sediment in the bottle. The cider had a very good flavor but didn't really taste like caramel or cinnamon. My thought is the cinnamon and caramel is in the sediment. I put all of the bottles in wine buckets with lids in case more explode. The cider tastes too good to lose, but I'm afraid more bottles will explode. Is there anything I can do to save it? The campden tablets apparently didn't stop the fermentation. What can I do differently next time?
How long did you wait after adding the tablets? Did you crush them and use 1 per gallon?

I usually give the tablets 48 hours or so and then back sweeten and keg. I think with bottles I would try to cold crash for a few days before bottling. Just to try and get as much yeast out of suspension as possible. Personally I would not recommend bottling a sweet cider.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #203
rjthomas21
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So I'm looking to make a batch tonight and keg it in a month for the holiday season. I was planning on bottling some from the keg to bring to parties and I was wondering how I should handle the use of campden and/or sorbate.

My understanding is that if I am able to keep the cider cold the entire time then there is no need to use either as the yeast will be dormant due to the cold. But should I add sorbate/campden anyways due to my bottling a few of them? I don't plan on letting the bottles get warm for extended periods of time so should I be ok with not adding the chemicals?

Old 11-17-2013, 03:50 AM   #204
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

You should be fine. However, without preservatives your bottles could explode if someone took one home no knowing to keep it chilled.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #205
mrdeshone
Recipes 

New to home brewing. How would I pasteurize this and what is back sweeting.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #206
sledzib
Recipes 

I just bottled this last Thursday, the 14th. I tried some that night. I could really taste the alcohol. I have tried a bottle the last two nights. I can barely taste the booze and it's such a great flavor! There is a little bit of smoke but not much carbonation yet. I'm wondering if the bottle bomb people just bottled too soon. I plan on cracking a bottle each night to monitor carbonation. If it doesn't get too crazy, I'm sure we'll drink them all on Thanksgiving. It's a great, easy to folllow recipe. I was worried because when I started fermentation, we had a heat spike up to 80 degrees! I was worried about off flavors but it sure seems good. I think I'm ready to do another batch so it'll be ready at Christmas time. Thanks for the great recipe!

Last edited by sledzib; 11-19-2013 at 06:10 PM. Reason: typo

Old 11-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #207
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdeshone
New to home brewing. How would I pasteurize this and what is back sweeting.
Back sweetening is adding sugar after fermentation is done in order to have a sweeter product. Search the forum for stovetop pasteurization. There are some good threads that are simple to follow.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #208
mrdeshone
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton
Back sweetening is adding sugar after fermentation is done in order to have a sweeter product. Search the forum for stovetop pasteurization. There are some good threads that are simple to follow.
Thanks

Old 12-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #209
Biergarten
Recipes 

Kegging - can I just keg the cider after fermentation and add the Caramel syrup and throw keg in kegerator or is adding the Camden tablets a must? I hope to keep this transfer simple. I understand this could potentially impact the overall sweetness, but seems like extra cost/work if minimal impact.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:17 AM   #210
Tombstone0
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biergarten View Post
Kegging - can I just keg the cider after fermentation and add the Caramel syrup and throw keg in kegerator or is adding the Camden tablets a must? I hope to keep this transfer simple. I understand this could potentially impact the overall sweetness, but seems like extra cost/work if minimal impact.
As long as you keep the cider cold you don't need the the sorbate or sulfite, but if you let it get warm it will start fermenting again.

Quick Reply