Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Dave's Carmel Apple Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #191
Bobbysbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hello all,

First off thank you for such a thorough job on everything you all do on this site, it's a great resource for a learning brewer.
I want to brew this hard cider recipe in the next week or so and i have had a lot of thoughts and potential changes to the recipe thrown at me through reading this thread. Some things I am still unclear on however, and I'll be honest, feeling slightly lazy to go through and read all 19 pages of comments/suggestions.
Anyways, i am hoping to lay out my plan for brewing here and get feedback as to that, as well as answer a few specific questions.
I plan to brew this and add the recommended campden tablets, but also the potassium sorbate because i plan to keg and carb it that way using the set it and forget it method to help with aging also. Wanted to be sure this was the recommended or suggested procedure for kegging this recipe.
Also, for stopping the congealed cinnamon syrup, has anyone developed a strategy besides shaking up the keg every couple days.
Next would be, i have seen a lot of folks saying this is a very sweet recipe, i am not looking for a very sweet cider. I enjoy very much the taste of Woodchuck cider and also Angry Orchard if anyone has tried or heard of them and can compare i would appreciate it. And if anyone has a suggested change or alteration for reducing the sweetness I'd love to hear it.
Lastly, I plan to use Safeale US-05 yeast due to the lack of Notty at my LHBS, i suspect this will add a litte sweetness but just wanted to be sure that it was a reasonable move and wouldn't give any drastic taste changes.
That's about it, i greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #192
ellicit
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiczar View Post
Hey guys! Newbie here. I just made this cider in a gallon batch with Notty yeast and I love the color and taste. Can't wait to see how it goes once bottle carbing for a bit, pasteurizing, and conditioning. But a question - is there anyway to break down the cinnamon for the future? I don't have the globs of syrup problem, but there are a bit too many specks of cinnamon for my preference. I'd love to get it a bit smoother without sacrificing that wonderful cinnamon taste.
Gentlemen,
The way I've been doing it is, if you have a Starbucks nearby go in and buy a bottle of their Cinnamon Dolce syrup. Its already done for you and no visible cinamon flake.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #193
ellicit
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Cinnamon Dolce syrup from Starbucks

starbucks_cinnamon_dolce_syrup_full.jpg

Old 09-20-2013, 12:48 AM   #194
rocketsan
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 35 Posts

Make your own cinnamon extract. Put a bunch of cinnamon sticks (snapped in half) in a jar, cover sticks with vodka. Give a shake a couple times a day, in a week or two, strain off liquid and you'll have cinnamon extract...

Old 09-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #195
jessiczar
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Very smart. I'll definitely try it that way in the future. Thanks!

Old 09-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #196
TastefulNudity
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Just bottled and followed the recipe exactly. Forgot to take an OG but ended up with an FG around 1.004, which was deliciously dry by itself. For some reason even though I used exactly 5 gallons of apple juice I got way more bottles of this than any other batch I've done (not that I'm complaining). With the 5 cans of concentrate and 12oz of cinnamon syrup it's amazing even when it's flat, can't wait until it's done carbing. Just wanted to say thanks for the recipe and that it's awesome.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: AHS Cascade Pale Ale Dry Hopped w/ Citra, Dave's Caramel Apple Cider
Planning: AHS Our Special Holiday Ale

Old 09-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #197
sledzib
Recipes 

Default Newbie to cider

Hello All!

I'm a new homebrewer, as of this last year or so. I have about a half dozen - a dozen successful brews and a few unsuccessful under my belt. This is my first attempt at a cider. This recipe looks easy enough. I have read all 20 pages of this post but I just have a few noob questions. 1. I don't want a carbonated cider. I prefer it to just be like regular cider. What do I need to do to stop the secondary fermentation in bottles. Is this a strange request? I'm primarily afraid of the bottle bombs I've been reading about. 2. What is all this talk about pasteurization? Is this something I need to do whether I carbonate or choose not to carbonate? If it's needed either way, how is it done, and why?

Those are my main concerns and I can't wait to brew up a batch because it looks so easy and I'd love to give some cider to my "woodchuck" friends. Thanks in advance!

Old 10-05-2013, 12:57 AM   #198
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

If you don't want to carbonate then you don't need to pasteurize. Read a thread on back sweetening and you'll know just want to do with this cider.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:57 PM   #199
pieman396
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

What is the average ABV on this?

Old 10-13-2013, 12:28 AM   #200
Gerald46
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

This is my first try at cider and I followed the recipe exactly. The cider has been in the bottles 13 days. Last night one of the bottles exploded in the closet I had them stored in. It scared my wife so bad she wouldn't walk down the hall until I covered the bottles up with a beach towel. Today I took one of the bottles which had been in the fridge for 2 days outside and opened it. The cider foamed out until I poured some in a glass. There was also a lot of floating sediment in the bottle. The cider had a very good flavor but didn't really taste like caramel or cinnamon. My thought is the cinnamon and caramel is in the sediment. I put all of the bottles in wine buckets with lids in case more explode. The cider tastes too good to lose, but I'm afraid more bottles will explode. Is there anything I can do to save it? The campden tablets apparently didn't stop the fermentation. What can I do differently next time?

Quick Reply