Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Dave's Carmel Apple Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 12:49 AM   #131
fifthcircle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Dave, that's that's the exact flavor I was thinking of as I tasted and sweetened my batch! I did stay very much on the dry side, but I see where you were going.

My final sweetening:
5gal keg of Motts on Nottingham yeast..etc.

20 oz cinnamon dolce (4c water, 3c brown sugar, 5 cinnamon sticks, 1tsp ground cinnamon, 1tsp apple pie spice)
2 cans frozen concentrated apple juice.

Was a big hit today with everyone at thanksgiving dinner. I am going to start another batch ASAP for Christmas!!!
Cheers,
Kurt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #132
KCBigDog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Mine is bubbling away, but still no Kreusen or anything. I've done apfelwein a few times with wine yeast, and this fermentation with the Notty looks like those did.

With all the rave reviews, I can't wait for this to be done. Should be just right for Christmas.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #133
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBigDog
Mine is bubbling away, but still no Kreusen or anything. I've done apfelwein a few times with wine yeast, and this fermentation with the Notty looks like those did.

With all the rave reviews, I can't wait for this to be done. Should be just right for Christmas.
I made this for the first time for last Christmas. Bottled up a case and brought it to a party. It was gone very quickly with people asking for more. It is a great Christmas cider!

Old 11-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #134
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 974 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 2619

I'm checking carbonation every few days to make sure I don't over carbonate, so I can pasteurize. I tried my first sample last saturday, and this stuff is amazing. I didn't use the same recipe as the OP, since I made my own cider from homegrown apples. I did use the same method of carbonating/sweetening, though. I'm really looking forward to enjoying this stuff over the holidays. I figure it should be ready to pasteurize in about 5-7 days....

Old 12-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #135
KCBigDog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

After a month, my batch is still bubbling a little and hasn't completely cleared up. I was hoping it would be ready for Christmas, but I'm really not in a hurry so will error on the side of patience.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #136
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 974 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 2619

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBigDog View Post
After a month, my batch is still bubbling a little and hasn't completely cleared up. I was hoping it would be ready for Christmas, but I'm really not in a hurry so will error on the side of patience.
After a 5 week primary I racked mine to secondary. 4 weeks later it still wasn't clearing up, so I put some pectic enzyme in it. Within a week everything dropped out, and it got crystal clear!

Old 01-20-2013, 12:35 AM   #137
hubblyGoz
Recipes 

Just popped on the cap to the Primary. This is my second ever brew and Im curious about the use of campden tablets; ive read rather mixed things. My last cider, I bottled, waited a day or so, and stove-top pasturized. That brew had a nice carb. If I use campden tablets before I bottle this batch, what will the end results be? I want it to be carbed, but dont want bottle rockets and would like to avoid the stove top process.

I dont want an overly sweet cider, and would like advice about how many concentrates I should use (definately adding the syrup). Will this play into the carbing?

Cheers,
Duke

Old 01-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #138
mcbethenstein
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made this beginning of October. It's coming into its stride right now. I made a few adjustments to the recipe. First I started with 2 gal of fresh pressed cider, then 2 gal of store cider. Instead of adding dextrose with the concentrate cans, I used 1/2 of a 2 lb batch of a 270 deg syrup and 1/2 of a 2lb batch of 290 deg syrup. Both made from instructions on this site on making caramel/candy syrup from scratch. After fermenting out with wyeast cider yeast I let sit for about a month, then filtered with a sterile plate filter, I was hoping to avoid campden and sulfites since I'm sensitive to them. Instead of the cinnamon syrup, I used the other 1/2 batch of the 290 deg syrup, and added cinnamon extract made by putting 6 cinnamon sticks in a large baby food jar covered in rum and let infuse for 4 weeks. I used 3 cans of concentrate and kegged 2 weeks before Christmas. At this point it is pretty awesome. I'll see how it ages, but right now it is a little strong on the cinnamon to me. I would cut the 5 oz of cinnamon extract down to 2. But my friend likes it. I'm sending it to a local competition soon. I'll let you know how it does.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:47 AM   #139
ellicit
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Duke,

The Cambden only prevent wild yeast. You can omit if you want but it will have no affect on the end carbonation. If less sweet start with 2 concentrates and take a sip, adjust to your liking.
Also, let it carb for about 4 days then pasteurize or yes they very well could become bombs.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #140
Torsoboy
Recipes 

I just relized that I added Dextrin instead of Dextrose. So am I totally screwed or can I salvage it in anyway?

Quick Reply