Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Dave's Carmel Apple Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #121
KCBigDog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

If you are just going to keg this, do you need to add the campden? I was thinking of following the recipe, but just racking to a keg with the concentrate and syrup, and letting it carb naturally.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #122
fifthcircle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

When carbing beer in a keg naturally, you use 1/2 the sugar. I would think that you will severly over carb this cider if you try to do it naturally in a keg.

Sounds dangerous to me!

Old 11-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #123
fifthcircle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm View Post
I have found that 1-2 cans is really all you need when you keg. I would recommend to put one in first, shake it up, then taste it. You may be surprised how sweet it already is. I would say about as sweet as a woodchuck cider, maybe just a little less sweet. Though i do have to say this is my experience when i am kegging and start with a 1.010 cider. If you ferment down lower than that with a different yeast (i've used Nottingham and S-05 to get to 1.010) you will need more concentrate.
I racked to secondary just now. Gravity is at 1.004 with dry Nottingham yeast for about 2 weeks.

I will keg it tonight or tomorrow, and sweeten/spice it. I am rushing it a tad, but want to serve it on Thanksgiving. Yay for CO2!!!

Old 11-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #124
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle

I racked to secondary just now. Gravity is at 1.004 with dry Nottingham yeast for about 2 weeks.

I will keg it tonight or tomorrow, and sweeten/spice it. I am rushing it a tad, but want to serve it on Thanksgiving. Yay for CO2!!!
The thing I noticed with this is that if it isn't clear, no one really notices since apple juice (the natural cider as the store calls it) is typically cloudy so people sometimes expect it. If you went to 1.004 I bet 2 cans will be enough as it seems each can is about .006, though I have not calculated it.

I've also added a can of apple cranberry to it for one batch. Added just a little cranberry flavor and gave it is nice color. Though the cranberry does not add the same perceived sweetness so I still needed the standard concentrate to bring it up to my liking.

Oh, and this stuff is great even if you over carb it slightly. So if you throw it in the fridge on high co2 before thanksgiving and forget about it, you will probably still be fine!

Old 11-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #125
Klondike21
Recipes 

So I know that several people have posted in here about having bottle bombs. I thought I followed this recipe exactly, but I think I messed up somewhere because on Sunday night when we went to open a bottle we definately had a gusher. Then last night we had a bottle bomb. Luckily it was only one bottle, in a closet in a box so there wasn't much of a mess.

But now I am concerned about my other 49 bottles or so. As far as I can tell the majority of people's advice is to (carefully) open the bottles and let it finish fermenting? This is my first cider so how will I know if it needs to finish fermenting? Can I just open the bottles and recap? I'm just really nervous about a.) having more bottle bombs and b.) loosing an entire batch- I'd like to salvage it if there's any way. Any and all advice welcomed!

Old 11-22-2012, 04:33 AM   #126
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1013 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 2686

I just bottled 5 gallons of this tonight. I plan to check carbonation every 3 days or so, and then when it's carbed to about 2-2.1 vol.(more or less) I plan to pasteurize it to stop chances of bottle bombs...

Old 11-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #127
KCBigDog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I just threw this together last night with the following:

Half Musselmans Apple Cider
Half Motts Apple Juice
1lb Brown Sugar
1lb Dextrose
Dry Notty Yeast

My question is this: What has this fermentation looked like for you all? This morning, it's giving off CO2, but no kreusen yet. My past experience with Notty is pretty violent fermentations.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #128
fifthcircle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I had mine in a bucket, but from what I could tell, it was pretty tame. Also bubbled steadily for two weeks.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #129
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1013 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 2686

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBigDog View Post
I just threw this together last night with the following:

Half Musselmans Apple Cider
Half Motts Apple Juice
1lb Brown Sugar
1lb Dextrose
Dry Notty Yeast

My question is this: What has this fermentation looked like for you all? This morning, it's giving off CO2, but no kreusen yet. My past experience with Notty is pretty violent fermentations.
Little to no krausen with this stuff. It's more like a very thin layer of foam in my experience...

I should mention, though, I used S 04 instead of Notty. It attenuated all the way down to .998 (OG was only 1.049 though, so not surprised).

Old 11-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #130
RelicBrewingSupply
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm glad most of you enjoy the recipe. The idea for this recipe came from a drink from Starbucks, their Carmel Apple Spice that the SWMBO always drinks cause she doesn't do coffee. I tried it once and decided to try my hand at making it alcoholic, all the new collaborations and variations will make this a hit!

Cheers,

Dave

Quick Reply