Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Dave's Carmel Apple Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #111
thiessenace
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoKoZo
I am making an apple cider from fresh pressed apples. I pressed the apples into juice and have added a campden tablet to it. i was advised to add the campden tablet in place of heat pasturizing. I want to follow this recipe, but the campden tab is added after fermentation...can I still use the juice?
Yes! You can still use your juice. The campden tablet added after fermentation is to make sure all the yeast cells are killed and then you wont have bottle rockets. The campden tablets you added into your fresh apple cider is to kill off wild yeast. So your all good.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:04 AM   #112
fifthcircle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Just threw everything in the bucket. First cider attempt
Sure is easier than a 4hr brew day!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #113
TaxGuy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I followed the original recipe except that I used Wyeast Cider Yeast (4766) instead of Notty. I fermented at 62 degrees for 2 months before I hit FG 1.010. The bottles were fully carbed after about 4 days after bottling, at which point I did Pappers' stove top pasteurization. The end result is a very sweet, nicely carbed cider. I am a big fan. Alcohol content is pretty high, too, relative to my other brewing experiments.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:45 AM   #114
sarsnavy05
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 18

Gotta say, I love this recipe! Kegged a batch last week and it's a big hit! Only change that I would have made would be to go much heavier on the cinnamon, to balance out the spice against the sweetness and alcohol.
Thanks for posting!

Old 11-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #115
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarsnavy05
Gotta say, I love this recipe! Kegged a batch last week and it's a big hit! Only change that I would have made would be to go much heavier on the cinnamon, to balance out the spice against the sweetness and alcohol.
Thanks for posting!
That's funny. I actually left out the dolce syrup and just added 1 to 1.5 can of concentrate to the keg (I've made two batches in the past with the syrup). Brought it up to about 1.018 and tastes perfectly sweet for me. And I can't even taste the alcohol! This stuff is dangerous!

Old 11-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #116
sarsnavy05
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm View Post
That's funny. I actually left out the dolce syrup and just added 1 to 1.5 can of concentrate to the keg (I've made two batches in the past with the syrup). Brought it up to about 1.018 and tastes perfectly sweet for me. And I can't even taste the alcohol! This stuff is dangerous!
No kidding! After a month in primary I was down to about 1.000 (SG around 1.090, the calculation was a little iffy), weighing in at ~11%. Leaving out or reducing the syrup, as suggested, may take off some of the sweetness and bring more of the spice aroma out. I was pretty happy about using the fresh, ground nutmeg!

Sounds like an excuse for me to make another batch!

Last edited by sarsnavy05; 11-13-2012 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Verb tense correction

Old 11-14-2012, 12:13 AM   #117
timewasted
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I bottled this in Sunday. The sample I took was delicious! So much so that I started a second batch today! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Blog: http://timewasted.net

Old 11-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #118
mcshaw16
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavi View Post
So, I made this recipe. My SG was 1.068 and my FG was 1.010. I made the syrup and kegged it but all the syrup sat at the bottom so when I went to pour a glass, I got nothing but syrup. For those of you who have kegged this, how do you add the syrup without it sitting at the bottom?
Planning to try this recipe tonight and will be kegging. I am wondering if simmering the syrup with cinnamon sticks instead of ground cinnamon would help with this issue?

Also, planning to force carb and use campden and k sorbate, so I probably don't need to use as much of the concentrate and syrup as the recipe calls for, correct? I want it to be somewhat sweet but not overly sweet. Thinking I can just add little of each until it tastes right to me.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:50 AM   #119
fifthcircle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcshaw16

Planning to try this recipe tonight and will be kegging. I am wondering if simmering the syrup with cinnamon sticks instead of ground cinnamon would help with this issue?

Also, planning to force carb and use campden and k sorbate, so I probably don't need to use as much of the concentrate and syrup as the recipe calls for, correct? I want it to be somewhat sweet but not overly sweet. Thinking I can just add little of each until it tastes right to me.
I am kegging too... thinking I will start with 3 cans of frozen concentrated juice. Not sure what I'm doing with the cinnamon dolce yet? Maybe I will infuse vodka and add that??

Old 11-16-2012, 02:02 AM   #120
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have found that 1-2 cans is really all you need when you keg. I would recommend to put one in first, shake it up, then taste it. You may be surprised how sweet it already is. I would say about as sweet as a woodchuck cider, maybe just a little less sweet. Though i do have to say this is my experience when i am kegging and start with a 1.010 cider. If you ferment down lower than that with a different yeast (i've used Nottingham and S-05 to get to 1.010) you will need more concentrate.

Quick Reply