Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Cheap, Fast, and Easy Raspberry Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #21
tborow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureYoung View Post
Is everyone force-carbonating this recipe? Has anyone tried to bottle carb or just keep as a smooth cider? I'd like to try this but don't have equip for force carb as I'm a newbie and not ready for that kind of commitment . . . or at least my wife isn't! Thanks in advance for any feedback.
I would like to know this too. If I bottle, do I prime it like beer? I'm not too familiar with what lactose does.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 05:45 AM   #22
Danno81
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I believe u need to back sweeten it with a can of apple juice concentrate and that will be your priming sugar just make sure that u mix it well so u don't have any bottles exploding on you. If anything will make a bottle blow up it's this stuff

Old 10-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #23
AdventureYoung
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tborow
I would like to know this too. If I bottle, do I prime it like beer? I'm not too familiar with what lactose does.
Going to run a batch this week with bottle conditioning. Going to pasteurize, so not too worried about the bottle bombs. . . . .

Old 10-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #24
reverendj1
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno81 View Post
I believe u need to back sweeten it with a can of apple juice concentrate and that will be your priming sugar just make sure that u mix it well so u don't have any bottles exploding on you. If anything will make a bottle blow up it's this stuff
Don't do this unless you've done the appropriate math to know how much sugar is in the can of concentrate you are using and that it will not cause bottle bombs.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #25
tborow
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Does lactose kind of serve the same purpose as dextrose in this recipe? I won't be pasteurizing

If no, would i just use 4oz of priming sugar when bottling since it's 4 gal?

Old 10-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #26
reverendj1
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Lactose (milk sugar) is a non-fermentable sugar, so no, it does not serve the same purpose. It is strictly for sweetening (although the flavor isn't quite like what you associate with sweetness).

How much you prime with is up to you. I use Northern Brewer's priming calculator, but it doesn't list cider and I'm not sure what is correct for style on that. I always do mine still. At any rate, 4 oz of priming sugar would be safe as long as you are doing the recipe as posted and not adding any additional fermentables at bottling.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #27
tborow
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendj1 View Post
Lactose (milk sugar) is a non-fermentable sugar, so no, it does not serve the same purpose. It is strictly for sweetening (although the flavor isn't quite like what you associate with sweetness).

How much you prime with is up to you. I use Northern Brewer's priming calculator, but it doesn't list cider and I'm not sure what is correct for style on that. I always do mine still. At any rate, 4 oz of priming sugar would be safe as long as you are doing the recipe as posted and not adding any additional fermentables at bottling.
Thanks for the response. I'll probably go with the 4oz.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:23 AM   #28
kstone803
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So mine has pretty much finished up fermentation and I snuck a taste tonight. It is a little tart but I am going to backsweeten and immediately pasteurize half (still) and let the other half carb up. Thinking of using a container of raspberry juice concentrate if I can find it but if not does anyone have any recommendations? Also I put a bag of frozen berries in my primary and it has tons of bits floating in it. Any idea how long they will take to fall out? I am thinking of racking to the secondary tomorrow and seeing if it clears in a week.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #29
kstone803
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Racked to the secondary last night and managed to leave most of the fruit bits in the primary. Going to let it settle for a week and then backsweeten and bottle. I pulled a quart out to drink and I must say it is very good.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:40 AM   #30
tborow
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How much water do I dissolve the lactose in, 16oz?

Quick Reply