Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Cheap, Fast, and Easy Raspberry Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
cyfan964
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Cheap, Fast, and Easy Raspberry Cider

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Lalvin ICV D47 Wine
Yeast Starter: None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: None
Batch Size (Gallons): 4
Original Gravity: n/a
Final Gravity: n/a
IBU: ?
Boiling Time (Minutes): none
Color: golden
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 30
Additional Fermentation: n/a
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): n/a
Tasting Notes: crisp, tart flavor

This is an incredibly cheap, fast, and easy cider recipe. I have used it 4-5 times and everyone I know loves it. It's obviously not something you would make as your sole cider, but if you need something to put together in a pinch this works great. I've seen a few recipes similar to this, but I've kind of taken parts of several recipes and put them together.

3 gallons Wal-Mart Apple Juice
1 can of raspberry apple concentrate
2 cans of pomegranate blueberry concentrate
1 lb. of table sugar
3/4 gallon of spring water

Basically you just mix the above ingredients into a solution and then pitch a Lalvin ICV D47 wine yeast and let it ferment for 30 days.

At time of bottling or kegging I've found that the best additions for flavor are:

3/4 lb of lactose
2 oz of raspberry flavoring

I force carb at 32 psi for 24 hours and then drop to 12 psi. It's usually good to go after about 6 days.

Primary: Caramel Belgian Dubbel
Conditioning: None
Cider Fermenting: None
Drinking: Two-Hearted (Bell's) clone
dog_gone Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
dog_gone
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Sound great! Is the wine yeast critical? Have you ever tried Nottingham?

Old 01-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #3
cyfan964
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog_gone View Post
Sound great! Is the wine yeast critical? Have you ever tried Nottingham?
I have tried a few different kinds of yeast. Nottingham, champagne, and a couple of ales actually.

Everyone agrees that the Lalvin wine yeast is the best tasting. Gives a nice crisp start and a clean finish.

Primary: Caramel Belgian Dubbel
Conditioning: None
Cider Fermenting: None
Drinking: Two-Hearted (Bell's) clone
dog_gone Likes This 
Old 06-13-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
dog_gone
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Default Quick Costco Apple Cider

So, I love your recipe and have used it for inspiration.

After a couple batches, I ventured out a little, borrowing parts of your recipe - and, like you, borrowing parts from the recipes of others on HBT - and came up with something that I can produce quickly and consistently. This is especially handy when my pipeline is a little lean. Well, frankly, variations of this seem to dominate my pipeline now...

Ferment:
6 gallons Costco Apple Juice
2 lb brown sugar (I use C&H from Costco, which comes in 4lb packages)
2 oz yeast energizer
1 pk Nottingham ale yeast

OG is typically between 1.060 and 1.065; I'm not perfectly precise with the brown sugar. I ferment down to about 1.010, which is consistently 4-5 days. Gotta love that!

Back-Sweeten:
1 can raspberry apple concentrate (or similar)
2 can(s) pomegranate blueberry concentrate (or similar)

Basically, I back sweeten to taste, depending on mood, GF's mood, and expected guests. I recently did a cran-apple version (3 cans). Not crazy about it, but the neighbor loves it. It's pretty hard to go wrong.

Typically, I will immediately pour the next batch right on the previous yeast cake. I'll do that three times. It's arbitrary, but works for me. Yes, we go through A LOT of this!

I keg and force carb, too, but I use the shake and roll method. I start drinking it in a day or two. I don't specifically cold crash, but it clears up in a week or so (if it lasts that long).

The extra gallon I have after kegging (and before back-sweetening) is kept in the refrigerator and I leave it still. Gotta do quality control, right?

Because this is so consistent, quick and easy, it will be my base cider outside of apple season. Next on the agenda is to try a few different peppers!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Old 06-17-2013, 01:46 AM   #5
Sudsyone
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Just finished using OP's recipe, but through in 4lbs of frozen fruit blackberry, blueberry, raspberry and a 64 oz raspberry pomegranate concentrate. Instead of the raz flavoring, bought blackberry before bottling. One question I have as I am new to Cider and brew making in general, do you have to warm the 1lb table sugar before throwing it into the mix? I just tossed it right in. Is this going to be ok??

Old 07-23-2013, 05:32 AM   #6
Danno81
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

What temp do you ferment at? I would love to try this

Old 07-31-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
Danno81
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsyone
Just finished using OP's recipe, but through in 4lbs of frozen fruit blackberry, blueberry, raspberry and a 64 oz raspberry pomegranate concentrate. Instead of the raz flavoring, bought blackberry before bottling. One question I have as I am new to Cider and brew making in general, do you have to warm the 1lb table sugar before throwing it into the mix? I just tossed it right in. Is this going to be ok??
Did the sugar situation work out? How was it?

Old 07-31-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
Danno81
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog_gone
So, I love your recipe and have used it for inspiration.

After a couple batches, I ventured out a little, borrowing parts of your recipe - and, like you, borrowing parts from the recipes of others on HBT - and came up with something that I can produce quickly and consistently. This is especially handy when my pipeline is a little lean. Well, frankly, variations of this seem to dominate my pipeline now...

Ferment:
6 gallons Costco Apple Juice
2 lb brown sugar (I use C&H from Costco, which comes in 4lb packages)
2 oz yeast energizer
1 pk Nottingham ale yeast

OG is typically between 1.060 and 1.065; I'm not perfectly precise with the brown sugar. I ferment down to about 1.010, which is consistently 4-5 days. Gotta love that!

Back-Sweeten:
1 can raspberry apple concentrate (or similar)
2 can(s) pomegranate blueberry concentrate (or similar)

Basically, I back sweeten to taste, depending on mood, GF's mood, and expected guests. I recently did a cran-apple version (3 cans). Not crazy about it, but the neighbor loves it. It's pretty hard to go wrong.

Typically, I will immediately pour the next batch right on the previous yeast cake. I'll do that three times. It's arbitrary, but works for me. Yes, we go through A LOT of this!

I keg and force carb, too, but I use the shake and roll method. I start drinking it in a day or two. I don't specifically cold crash, but it clears up in a week or so (if it lasts that long).

The extra gallon I have after kegging (and before back-sweetening) is kept in the refrigerator and I leave it still. Gotta do quality control, right?

Because this is so consistent, quick and easy, it will be my base cider outside of apple season. Next on the agenda is to try a few different peppers!

Thanks for the inspiration!
You said you used 2 oz of yeast energizer? I only used about 1/2 an oz 1/2 tsp per gallon =3 tsp do you think it will take longer to ferment now? Does the energizer speed up the fermentation?

Old 08-01-2013, 01:19 AM   #9
Sudsyone
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno81

Did the sugar situation work out? How was it?
Fermenting went great and ended up with 6.5% FG. Back sweetened with lactose in which I also just tossed in, instead of boiling and what a nightmare trying to mix. Most just stuck at the bottom. Added 2oz of blackberry flavoring and sugar for priming and will taste this weekend. Can't wait as its my first hard cider.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:05 AM   #10
Danno81
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Nice man I'm also trying my first cider ( right now in primary bubbling away) ferm chamber smells like apples. i have 2 IPA's under my belt and a third ipa on week 2 so Definently a newb but I totally live this hobby.

Quick Reply