Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Caramel Apple Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2013, 03:00 AM   #171
saleens281sc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Dang, I don't know why I was thinking they were more. I know a long time ago, there was a 1% difference I thought, but I'm thinking back like 7-8 years. Well, I guess that settles it. lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #172
thekidd1220
Recipes 

New to cider making. This will be my first batch. Started two 1 gallon carboys one week ago! All the feedback on this cider is making this a great beginner brew. I attempted it with exceedingly cheap walmart apple juice, so if it even comes decent I'll be excited and use better juice for the next batch. I have two questions about the upcoming rack and bottling -
1)If it's harsh (hot) to my taste should I attempt to go beyond the back sweetening with honey and try and use some apple concentrate to flavor, or should I just have faith in the maturation process?
2) I have some Champagne bottles that I was planning on bottling/carbonating in before using papper's pasteurization method, has anyone used his method with anything over 20oz? I assume a regular corked wine bottle won't hold the pressure? Also if you've carbonated in a larger bottle how long did it take?
Thanks

Old 11-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #173
KaraRae
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

I have a question about hydrometer reading...
I too am new to fermenting, and have a 5 gallon carboy of this caramel apple cider going, but juiced about 30 pounds of apples prior to that batch, did not have a hydrometer to test at that time.
So, I have 2 gallons of juice, pasteurized it to 165, added 3/4 cup of raw sugar to each gallons worth, waited for it to cool completely and pitched my yeast, the airlocks were vigorous right from the get go (I used champagne yeast), it's the 21st day and the airlocks have been quiet for about a week. I finally got the hydrometer in the mail and when I siphoned some off and tested it the reading was almost none, the whole thing sunk and read at the top line.
Is this normal for this stage? If not, do you see any glaring omissions on my part. It has been kept at a steady 65 degrees, not jostled or messed with. I'd hate to be a dud right out of the gate~
But I was at a wine making class this morning and they said the brix (sugar) is 24-26 at harvest and it's finished at -2 to -3... then you go on to secondary fermentation, is our cider like that?
Thank you in advance for any help or comments.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #174
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekidd1220 View Post
New to cider making. This will be my first batch. Started two 1 gallon carboys one week ago! All the feedback on this cider is making this a great beginner brew. I attempted it with exceedingly cheap walmart apple juice, so if it even comes decent I'll be excited and use better juice for the next batch. I have two questions about the upcoming rack and bottling -
1)If it's harsh (hot) to my taste should I attempt to go beyond the back sweetening with honey and try and use some apple concentrate to flavor, or should I just have faith in the maturation process?
2) I have some Champagne bottles that I was planning on bottling/carbonating in before using papper's pasteurization method, has anyone used his method with anything over 20oz? I assume a regular corked wine bottle won't hold the pressure? Also if you've carbonated in a larger bottle how long did it take?
Thanks
1. Have faith in the yeast!
2. I have used anything from champagne bottles to Corona bottles and they both work fine. Be careful not to get the corks wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraRae View Post
I have a question about hydrometer reading...
I too am new to fermenting, and have a 5 gallon carboy of this caramel apple cider going, but juiced about 30 pounds of apples prior to that batch, did not have a hydrometer to test at that time.
So, I have 2 gallons of juice, pasteurized it to 165, added 3/4 cup of raw sugar to each gallons worth, waited for it to cool completely and pitched my yeast, the airlocks were vigorous right from the get go (I used champagne yeast), it's the 21st day and the airlocks have been quiet for about a week. I finally got the hydrometer in the mail and when I siphoned some off and tested it the reading was almost none, the whole thing sunk and read at the top line.
Is this normal for this stage? If not, do you see any glaring omissions on my part. It has been kept at a steady 65 degrees, not jostled or messed with. I'd hate to be a dud right out of the gate~
But I was at a wine making class this morning and they said the brix (sugar) is 24-26 at harvest and it's finished at -2 to -3... then you go on to secondary fermentation, is our cider like that?
Thank you in advance for any help or comments.
What number was it reading at? Ciders usually go below 1.000 down to 0.995 I think is the lowest. Brix is measured with a refractometer but there are converters out there to specific gravity and then to % ABV. At 21 days I would leave it for another few days to a week and test the gravity again. A consistent gravity reading would mean that the cider has stopped fermentation. As for it being normal it completely depends on the temperature and yeast strain during fermentation.

Secondary:

Bottled: JAOM, Amber Ale
KaraRae Likes This 
Old 11-25-2013, 01:27 AM   #175
thekidd1220
Recipes 

Used the plastic champagne corks... appeared to work great. I have only "papper" stove top pasturized two bottles but it's working great, no bottle bombs! typing this after taste testing my first two bottle..... heed the warnings! It will definitely knock you on your *&^ if you aren't careful! Looking forward to letting it mature and trying it in a month or two, already have a 5 gallon batch started.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #176
saleens281sc
Recipes 

Update: I've decided to transfer my cider to a secondary. Gravity is 1.020, down from 1.095 starting, so we're right around 10% ABV. I've carmelized the honey and I've added to a half full secondary. (I used cheese cloth to filter, as the fresh juiced cider still had some grit in it) I shook/swished for a long time and added the rest of the cider. I thought it was mixed up good, but this morning I've noticed that it seems to have settled on the bottom. I am going to keg/carbonate immediately when I get home tonight, just didn't have time last night. My intention was not to get the yeast going again. Any questions, concerns, or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #177
Biergarten
Recipes 

Kegging - can I just keg the cider after fermentation and add the Caramel syrup and throw keg in kegerator or is adding the Camden tablets a must? I hope to keep this transfer simple. I understand this could potentially impact the overall sweetness, but seems like extra cost/work if minimal impact.

**Sorry wrong thread**

Last edited by Biergarten; 12-02-2013 at 11:34 PM. Reason: wrong thread

Old 02-04-2014, 10:41 PM   #178
bigdean
Recipes 

I just started a batch of this today! My wife and I are looking forward to trying it out!

BigDean

Old 03-24-2014, 08:56 PM   #179
kschrodt
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Has anyone tried this with US-04? If so, how did it turn out?

Old 05-19-2014, 07:23 AM   #180
oliver0575
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Caramel Apple Cider

Had 2 batches of this going for the last month. Fermentation is taking forever!
First batch is 5 gallons but couldn't dissolve the caramel. Second is in a demijohn so managed to dissolve most of it.
Have ordered a pasteuriser as our cookers been broken for a while and it's a lot simpler to do! Turns up today so aiming to bottle later in the week

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Quick Reply