Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Caramel Apple Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 01:28 AM   #131
ChrisBates
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I guess it worked. I hadn't pasteurized it yet, so we dumped, added the honey, rebottled, and pasteurized. The only problem is that we lost all our carbonation when we mixed in all the honey. It's more like wine but still good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #132
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Did you let it sit to carbonate in the bottle? If not it may have been the yeast that you used. If it was a beer yeast strain it may have reached it's ABV limit in primary.

Secondary:

Bottled: JAOM, Amber Ale

Old 03-27-2013, 11:35 PM   #133
ChrisBates
Recipes 

It was carbonated when we dumped it back and stirred the rest of the honey in. But after rebottling the carbonation was gone. Going to try it again the right way soon.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #134
Scott29
Recipes 

How did the EC-1118 turn out? I just put a batch on using the same yeast. And how long before you saw fermentation? I know its an old post but hopefully you can remember the details!

Old 05-02-2013, 11:37 PM   #135
baja2476
Recipes 

Oldmate you said any wine or champaign yeast. Well which specific one did you use and has anyone used Nottingham for this? I didn't see this answer the only reason I'm asking. And also is one package enough for 5 gal? If so would you split into 1/5 of package for gal recipe? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #136
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja2476 View Post
Oldmate you said any wine or champaign yeast. Well which specific one did you use and has anyone used Nottingham for this? I didn't see this answer the only reason I'm asking. And also is one package enough for 5 gal? If so would you split into 1/5 of package for gal recipe? Thanks in advance.
Here in Australia we aren't as lucky in our choices of wine/champagne yeast strain. Most brew shops sell a generic 'Wine Yeast' bulk packet as there are very few people around that brew wine and meads. I used the generic brand and still do because I like the result it gives me. Maybe someone else who has tried it can help you out with the Nottingham, but I don't see why it would be any different. From what I can tell the Nottingham is a very good yeast for cider so I recommend giving it a go and reporting back

One packet is enough for up to 5 gal. There is no need to split it at all, but if you go over 5 gal I would either be making a good starter or putting 2 packets in.

Secondary:

Bottled: JAOM, Amber Ale

Old 05-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #137
baja2476
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmate

Here in Australia we aren't as lucky in our choices of wine/champagne yeast strain. Most brew shops sell a generic 'Wine Yeast' bulk packet as there are very few people around that brew wine and meads. I used the generic brand and still do because I like the result it gives me. Maybe someone else who has tried it can help you out with the Nottingham, but I don't see why it would be any different. From what I can tell the Nottingham is a very good yeast for cider so I recommend giving it a go and reporting back

One packet is enough for up to 5 gal. There is no need to split it at all, but if you go over 5 gal I would either be making a good starter or putting 2 packets in.
Thanks am starting today and will report progress.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:12 AM   #138
ChrisBates
Recipes 

I have used the "pappers stove-top pasteurization" technique successfully, but I have a batch carbonating right now and was wondering if anybody knows of another option to kill off the yeast after the desired carbonation level is achieved.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #139
MotorcycleMatt
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 13

since i have a couple of empty secondaries i think ill try and make 4 gallons of this either tonight or tomorrow since i have excess sugar on hand and 4 gallons of juice isnt that expensive. This sounds really tasty.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:10 AM   #140
evolcoms
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Thought I would share a few things about my carmel cider I made at the end of January. I had made about 5 bottles worth, plus a few clear pop top soda bottles. It has cleared up allot since it was first bottled. It is next to a spiced cider I did around the same time. I'm trying to let these age for a year, but I keep having people ask to try it....we'll see.

forumrunner_20130630_201000.png

forumrunner_20130630_201016.jpg

forumrunner_20130630_201027.png

Beers
In the Works: Peach Berry Wheat Ale
Conditioning: Blue Moon Clone, Double O' Blossom Honey Hefeweizen
In the Fridge:Blind Pig IPA, Raspberry Wheat Ale, Capt. Cascade American Amber Ale
Ciders
Primary #1: Carmel Apple Cider 4 weeks on 01/16/13 Primary #2: Spiced Apple Cider 2 weeks on 01/17/13

Quick Reply