Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Caramel Apple Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #91
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1622 View Post
About to pitch my yeast on a 5 gallon batch. Is my hydro wrong or should I be reading 1.080!?

Well my hydro is broken now, bumped it with my arm when I was cleaning and snapped it in half.
Sounds about right, will not be accurate without a working hydrometer though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble222 View Post
Did I do something wrong? I followed all the instructions, and after fermentation got a final gravity of around .998. Taste was dry but quite yummy. I caramelized 1.25L of honey and added. Kegged and carbed and tasted...yuck! I don't know what the honey did but the taste is kind of over-sweet and too much honey? My wife even thought it tasted funny and she likes sweeter ciders than me. I pulled it out of the kegerator for now and I'm gonna let it ferment the honey dry in the keg to hopefully save the batch.

My recipe only calls for 250 ml of honey. That's probably why it is so sweet! I suggest brewing another batch leaving out the honey and then diluting it down with it. Use a third vessel and pour half sweet, half no honey and then the rest of the no honey into your sweet one would be the easiest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryan1986 View Post
So i'm confused. done some brews...no cider yet. You let it barb for a few days then pasteurize. Does the carbonation go away is that why your referring to as a still cider? Our is it still carbonated? Pasteurizing would just prevent it from carbing further....right?
I left mine as a still cider, that is the option if you would like to have it bubbly, after pasteurising the dissolved CO2 does not go away. I pasteurised straight after adding honey so there was no CO2 production.

Secondary:

Bottled: JAOM, Amber Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #92
Punbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Im making a first attempt at this cider... at five gallons.
so far all is going ok. the sugar foamed up when i took an eye off it, but it doesn't taste burnt (tastes like carmel marshmallows .

Old 04-30-2012, 05:36 AM   #93
JustinSane206
Recipes 

I have 3 gallons of this fermenting right now. I can't wait until it's ready! One question though. Did you use any priming sugar before bottling? I'm new to homebrewing, so I'm still wotking on getting the hang of things. This is only my second batch. Other than that, it's going great so far.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #94
NineMilBill
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinSane206 View Post
I have 3 gallons of this fermenting right now. I can't wait until it's ready! One question though. Did you use any priming sugar before bottling? I'm new to homebrewing, so I'm still wotking on getting the hang of things. This is only my second batch. Other than that, it's going great so far.
No, he added honey - which provided the sugar needed to carb the bottle once capped. After your bottles carb up at room temperature, around 5 days later (check them by opening them and listening for carbonation!) - then you follow Papper's Pasteurization technique to stop their fermentation and kill the yeast. Age, chill, and serve.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #95
JustinSane206
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineMilBill View Post
No, he added honey - which provided the sugar needed to carb the bottle once capped. After your bottles carb up at room temperature, around 5 days later (check them by opening them and listening for carbonation!) - then you follow Papper's Pasteurization technique to stop their fermentation and kill the yeast. Age, chill, and serve.
Okay. I didn't know the honey would replace the priming sugar. Thanks for the help!

Old 05-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #96
Punbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I started this cider about 2 weeks ago and I'm going to keep it in primary for one more week. But I'm worried about it. At first the fermentation smelled like carmel apples and semi pleasant.now however it smells pretty awful. It's the smell coming our of the air lock indicative of any issue or should I just let be because ours supposed to be like that.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #97
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Search the term 'Rhino farts' in the search bar. Completely normal! Just leave it a few more days than normal after fermentation for the yeast to clean up after themselves.

Secondary:

Old 05-27-2012, 03:10 AM   #98
NineMilBill
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Ok - so I thought this was a pretty decent recipe after making it. The 3-week bottling conditioning period was all of my experience with this. Today I cracked open a 3-month old bottle and this stuff has exponentionally improved - and I would now call it amazing. The tiny bit of hot alcohol burn that existed when I first tried it has gone away. oldmate's tasting notes of 'an apple dunked in caramel and honey' is dead-on for what I'm having the pleasure of enjoying now. This will be a repeat recipe.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #99
kevinmcl1978
Recipes 

what was the easiset way to mix. will it oxidize if i just shake the carboy until my hand falls off?

Old 06-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #100
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Which step are you referring to?

Secondary: