Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Candied Pecan Hard Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2014, 06:39 PM   #1
tdexterc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 5 Posts

Default Candied Pecan Hard Cider

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: WLP001
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days at 68

Hey everybody, I've been doing a lot of small batch cider experiments lately and this one turned out so good that I thought I should share it! This recipe is for a simple 2 gallon batch, but you can easily adjust it to any amount. I'll be doing this in a 5 gallon batch soon to bring to my wedding in August! Sorry I'm missing the OG/FG...

Maple Pecan Cider

-2 gallons of Apple Juice (I used simple Aldi brand 100% juice, no sulphites)
-2 cans of frozen apple juice concentrate
-ferment at 67-68 for 1 week using California Ale Yeast (any clean, not fruity ale yeast will do. Some prefer Nottingham, others use Champagne, I just use whatever I have extra of kicking around!)
-after 1 week, add 6oz chopped candied pecans (recipe down below) and let fermentation finish up for another week.
-during this time, scrape and chop 1 vanilla bean and add to 1/4 cup bourbon. Any hard liquor will do, but I'm partial to bourbon! Let this soak for 1 week.
-before bottling/kegging, add the vanilla/liquor tincture and back-sweeten with 7-8oz (by weight) of maple syrup. This seems to be slightly sweet to me and just right, not overpowering. Adjust maple amount to taste.
-Remember that if you bottle this, you must refrigerate or pasteurize this after carbonation! Otherwise... BOOM!

Candied Pecans
-6oz pecans, roughly chopped, 2tsp cinnamon, 1/4c brown sugar
-combine ingredients in a pan on the stove-top and heat on medium until the sugar begins to melt and break down. This takes a while (20 mins?), but you must keep an eye on it. It will go from done to burnt in no time! Heat and stir until the sugar has melted and coated the pecans and turns nice and shiny. once it's sticky and shiny pull it from the heat before it begins to smoke and spread on wax paper.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
darksideofjae
Recipes 

I wish you could see the drool coming from my mouth right now. I HAVE to try this recipe.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
tdexterc
Recipes 

Glad you like the sound of it! I was surprised at how well the flavor of the candied pecans came through in the cider. After a week in the carboy they were stripped of all their sugary caramelized goodness and pecan flavor and they all just floated up to the top! I'll be interested to hear how your batch turns out. I'll be making a second batch of it shortly.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #4
Yrogerg1089
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I heard of a brewery in Michigan making this style of cider and I became determined to find/concoct a recipe. Your recipe sounds spot on! I want to make this for the family Christmas. Congrats on getting married btw. How did this turn out (assuming you're already married)?

Here’s to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold beer—and another one!

Old 09-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #5
John53189
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I'm in, sounds great. Will try today.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #6
tdexterc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrogerg1089 View Post
I heard of a brewery in Michigan making this style of cider and I became determined to find/concoct a recipe. Your recipe sounds spot on! I want to make this for the family Christmas. Congrats on getting married btw. How did this turn out (assuming you're already married)?
Glad to hear you like the sounds of it! I look forward to hearing what you think of it when you make it. I just returned from the honeymoon, thanks for the congratulations!

Old 09-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #7
tdexterc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John53189 View Post
I'm in, sounds great. Will try today.
Sweet! Let me know how it turns out! The 5 gallons I made to bring home for the wedding certainly didn't last long so hopefully it's a good one for you too.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:08 PM   #8
Paps
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 364

This looks great.
Maple wine by itself is good, I'm sure with the pecans this makes an awesome cider.

Brewing isn't a race. No matter how long it takes to make you still win a batch of beer at the end.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:14 PM   #9
agsimon
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Question for recipes like this, how long does it usually take to carbonate? My cider is finished and I'm ready to back sweeten and bottle, but I have a few things I will be out of town for sporadically over the next three weeks and I'm not sure when to do this.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:15 AM   #10
tdexterc
Recipes 

It's tough to say how long it could take to carbonate. It's taken as few as 3 days for me before and as long as a week and a half depending on how lively the yeast left in the bottle is. Your best bet is to back sweeten and start carbing with whatever time you might have. If you're heading out of town and it's not done yet then you can always put the batch in the fridge if you have the space and fermentation will slow waaaaay down. Take the bottles out and bring them back to room temperature when you return and then you can resume carbonation.

Quick Reply