Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Blueberry Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #31
webos1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Recipe in primary..

Got this started in primary now, (two days ago), used about 4 lbs of blueberrys, all other ingredients the same in primary. Color looks amazing right now in primary. Used a blow off tube for two days, now air lock is bubbling away. One question for you. I am thinking of skipping the pure blueberry juice in secondary as it is a bit pricey at my LHBS. Do you think this will deminish the profile to much? I guess I have 3 months or so to make that decision be fore it goes into secondary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #32
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I bought the blueberry juice from a grocery store, it was cheaper than the lhbs for me. That's up to you, it certainly darkened my brew and added more bb flavor. Nothing wrong with changing it up though. Also the schedule was just how my brew went, no need to stick strictly to it. Still loving other people enjoying this, as it was my firat original recipe. Need to do another batch or something similar

Old 01-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #33
Tusch
Recipes 

Oh and I use a 6 gal carboy but just make adjustments for your equipment and keep in mind losses due to berries

Old 02-01-2012, 07:00 AM   #34
StressGranule
Recipes 

This sounds amazing, I was just wondering where do you get cans of apple concentrate from (what do they look like)?

Old 02-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #35
Tusch
Recipes 

Its just the frozen apple concentrate that you buy at the grocery store to make juice from concentrate. Just make sure it has not preservatives just like your juice

Old 02-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #36
webos1
Recipes 

Default Couple more ?'s from the newbie....

OK, so only been in primary five days, for reference. My questions at this point are:
How long before the blueberries will fall down to the bottom?
Should I occasionally swirl the carboy to keep them all wet;this I think would also serve to "rouse the yeast" throughout primary.
Is the pure blueberry juice you found at the grocery store in a can like found at the LHBS?

As of last night the airlock has slowed way down, thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #37
Tusch
Recipes 

Sorry in advance for my answers:
I do not know haha. I'll check back in the thread but I'm not sure if I noted how long that took for the berries to drop.
Swirling is fine, but you might want to "punch" them down gently instead to prevent adding you much air as fermentation slows down.
I believe my juice came in a bottle on the natural and organic kind of area of my local grocery store.
I would imagine any rousing of the yeast or berries will pick the fermentation up a bit for a short time, so be prepared.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #38
ColoBrewer420
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I have never made a cider/wine yet but my girlfriend has her heart set on this recipe. I have all the proper equipment, but have one major question. Do you boil the juices at all? I am used to brewing beer and was wondering if just dumping everything in a (sterilized) carboy would stay sanitary? Any advice appreciated.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #39
Tusch
Recipes 

Never boil juice, unless of course you trying to make jam

Old 04-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #40
Mitch311
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoBrewer420 View Post
I have never made a cider/wine yet but my girlfriend has her heart set on this recipe. I have all the proper equipment, but have one major question. Do you boil the juices at all? I am used to brewing beer and was wondering if just dumping everything in a (sterilized) carboy would stay sanitary? Any advice appreciated.
I used blueberrys in a can. They are pastuerised already for long storage.

The thing I did differnetly to others in this thread is I put my blueberries in blender and bascially made it into a watery paste. Then I put all into a 5L demijohn (or other steril container) with pectinase for 24hrs.

Put Apple juice and yeast straight on top.

Results were amazing, everyone Who tried it liked it. I stopped when it was still sweetish (1.15 SG I think). I found the blueberry "bits" all fell out with the yeast. I just racked off the top and straight into the fridge.

Very very easy to drink too much.

Quick Reply