Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Apple Bee (Woodchuck Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2009, 10:06 PM   #21
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

So what would happen if you changed it to something like a PM of 4oz each of Flaked Rice, Flaked Wheat, Honey Malt and Crystal 80, and then carried on with the fermentation and such. I've never made a cider so I really have no idea what I'm talking about, but it's all about experimentation right. Would the rice add anything and would it be worth PM'ing for?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2009, 03:21 AM   #22
GroosBrewz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Well, I made a batch last night.. Bought 5 gallons of Apple Juice and made a 2.5 gallon batch of this and a 2.5 gallon batch of Ed's Apfelwein... I followed the instructions to a T, but I ahve a few questions for you guys that have cider experience... First off, the original instructions were not that great, especially for a guy who has never made cider.. I cracked the grains and steeped them at 156 for 20 min.. then in another pan, I heated another qt to 170 and "dunked" the grains in that for 5 minutes.. Then I dumped both pots of wort into the fermenter and added the Apple Juice.. Sound right?

Also, I didnt stir this as I normally would stir a wort.. In other words, I didnt add as much 02.. Is this important in a cider? Also, I didnt add any yeast nutrient but have since read many posts that yeast nutrient is important for ciders.. Should I have added it? I used Wyeast Wheat yeast

Thanks
Chris

Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 2- Evening Bite Pale Ale
Tap 3- Twilight Clone
Tap 4- Dicks Danger Ale Clone

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"

Old 01-31-2009, 05:16 AM   #23
Zul'jin
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts

This wort you made, was it made of water? Cause that plus 2.5 gallons of juice is more than 2.5 gallons of brew. Just looking to clarify that.

I dunno if it was "right" but it sounds good.

This is only my third batch of apple juice booze. I really don't and shouldn't call my stuff Ed Wort's anything, but the only liquid I use is juice.

Drunking: All kinds of stuff.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:10 PM   #24
jayhuff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

sorry about the orginal instructions... not so friendly to those who are new. sounds like you did a good job though. I have never used a nutrient to make this or any ciders. good luck and report back on how it turned out.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:15 AM   #25
GroosBrewz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhuff View Post
sorry about the orginal instructions... not so friendly to those who are new. sounds like you did a good job though. I have never used a nutrient to make this or any ciders. good luck and report back on how it turned out.
thanks Jayhuff- I will keep you guys posted.. As of today, it is still bubbling merrily along.. Just to clarify, I dont need to cover this with a blanket or anything for purposes of light, right?

Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 3- Twilight Clone

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"

Old 02-02-2009, 02:26 AM   #26
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4947 Times on 3584 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrider4 View Post
thanks Jayhuff- I will keep you guys posted.. As of today, it is still bubbling merrily along.. Just to clarify, I dont need to cover this with a blanket or anything for purposes of light, right?
I cover mine. Cider doesn't have hops, so it won't get skunky but it can definitely suffer from being "lightstruck".

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 02-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #27
GroosBrewz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I cover mine. Cider doesn't have hops, so it won't get skunky but it can definitely suffer from being "lightstruck".
Thanks Yooper- That kinda bums me out 'cause I was really enjoying sitting on my couch looking at the fermentation happen... ould never do that with a batch of beer.. Alas, all good things must end

Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 3- Twilight Clone

Old 02-03-2009, 06:43 PM   #28
flyweed
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Hey Jay, got a couple questions in regards to this recipe. I just orderd all the "stuff" to make this including the torrifed wheat and german pilsner additions.

1st question..When you boil all of this, do you use a steeping bag? Did you buy crushed grains or not?

Thanks
Dan

On Tap: Blackberry Blonde Ale
On Tap: Apple/Cherry Hard Cider

Old 02-03-2009, 11:34 PM   #29
jayhuff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyweed View Post
Hey Jay, got a couple questions in regards to this recipe. I just orderd all the "stuff" to make this including the torrifed wheat and german pilsner additions.

1st question..When you boil all of this, do you use a steeping bag? Did you buy crushed grains or not?

Thanks
Dan
Yes I buy them crushed and I steep them in a bag. I have done this as a mini mash too:

mash in a small cooler at 156 for 60 min (in a bag- using 1.25 qt/water per pound of grain) and then sparge at 175 for 20 min with 1 qt/water per pound.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:33 AM   #30
flyweed
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

THanks Jay..I can't wait to get this one going..it sounds like it's going to have some really nice complex flavors and colors from the sweetness of the 10l malt, to the nice body and chocolate overtone of the chocolate malt. If I can get a nice frothy head from the torrified wheat addition, I'll be very happy. I can't wait to taste this. I'll keep you posted.

I made a nice "green apple" cider using edworts apfelwein as the base. I then added some buckwheat honey and couple more cans of concetrate to backsweeten, the kegged. It was good and was excellent when it was fully carbed..my friends drank all 5 gallons in one night!! I will admit it tasted nice..but was fairly thin bodied, not really complex at all. SO I am hoping to really WOW them with this new recipe.

DO you know what this will finish at for a final gravity? Does it have any lingering sweetness at all?

Dan

On Tap: Blackberry Blonde Ale
On Tap: Apple/Cherry Hard Cider

Quick Reply