Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > All Apple Hard Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #21
Philistine
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleAddy View Post
This is in my fermenter right now. I wanted to know a few things. The last addition of apple concentrate is acting as a priming sugar/ dextrose right? So I will not need to add priming sugar when bottling/carbing correct?
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleAddy View Post
Also, you said primary for two months? My airlock has stopped bubbling and is releasing every 4-5 minutes now (been in almost a week now).
Air lock activity is not a good indication of the end of fermentation. Given a week fermentation has probably not stopped. But to know if it has take a gravity reading and then take another 2-3 days later. If there is no change fermentation has run its course and its time to bottle

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #22
Danno81
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

base recepie : 5.25 gallons o apple juice 1 can of concentrate and 2lbs brown sugar and I aerated the **** out if it

ive had this fermenting for 2 weeks now and it's still bubbling every 2-3 seconds I used a starter of wyeast 1256 that didn't take off after 3 days so I added a packet of Nottingham my question is how long until the layer of foam goes down? Because its obviously still fermenting

image-3142878864.jpg  

Old 08-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #23
Danno81
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

And has anyone else had such a long heavy fermentation? I'm worried that It got infected or something during aeration

Old 08-13-2013, 05:07 AM   #24
hunter_la5
16%er
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1051 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 2971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno81
And has anyone else had such a long heavy fermentation? I'm worried that It got infected or something during aeration
I had a cider a few batches back that took 3 weeks for the foam to drop, using hefe yeast.

The batch after that (using Nottingham) only took about a week.

It may be an infection... But I bet it's just the yeast doing their thing. Sometimes they just take a while.
2. Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer
Bottled:
Kombucha
Primary:
1. Brandon O's Graff
2. Kombucha
UnderCouchers 4 Lyfe

Old 08-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #25
Recurved
Recipes 

Hey guys, just brewed this one about a week ago, and the bubbles have finally slowed. Just curious if anyone had taken specific reading and figured out what rough ABV is. I like a nice dry, high alcohol cider, so im not sure if I should let this one go or maybe add some sugar now to bump it up. Any info is appreciated

Other than that, I'm really looking forward to this, as it is my first batch of cider! I know the recipie calls for 2 months in primary, but im not sure if I can wait that long!

Old 09-23-2013, 12:21 AM   #26
columbian
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

By Apple juice concentrate, do you mean the frozen stuff you mix with water to make Apple juice?

Is this better than brown sugar?

What nutrient do you use?

Old 09-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #27
Danno81
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbian
By Apple juice concentrate, do you mean the frozen stuff you mix with water to make Apple juice? Is this better than brown sugar? What nutrient do you use?
Yes apple juice concentrate the frozen stuff. I use about 5 gallons if apple juice or apple cider if I can find it. Add 2lbs brown sugar . Then I add 2 oz of yeast nutrient it's like a white crystaly looking powder from my local home brew supply store. And 1 can of concentrate. Te concentrate and sugar being added in the beginning is a flavor additive and a ABV booster. after about 2 weeks it reaches a low enough gravity to keg it. If u bottle it u need to wait at least a month or your going to have a messy explosion of apple cider when u open the bottles. I prefer kegging. When I keg I add 1 can apple concentrate and 2 cans rasbery lemonade concentrate and abound 1.5 lbs of frozen rasberrys . It's amazing like drinking lemonade that will knock your socks off. The ABV has got to be some were between 7% -10%

Old 11-30-2013, 03:52 AM   #28
doltrev
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hmmm..... I followed this recipe to a t and it is barely carbonated. Im not sure if the yeast died or if the concentrate wasn't enough to carb up? Og 1.07 Fg 1.012 put in fermenter September 10 and bottled November 10 and drinking November 29. It is clear and tastes about right just flat. Any ideas? I checked about 5 bottles.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #29
goodmojo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Do you not carbonate with CO2? Do you need an airlock on the keg for this is it just carbonation happening. How long do you let the keg rest before serving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno81 View Post
Yes apple juice concentrate the frozen stuff. I use about 5 gallons if apple juice or apple cider if I can find it. Add 2lbs brown sugar . Then I add 2 oz of yeast nutrient it's like a white crystaly looking powder from my local home brew supply store. And 1 can of concentrate. Te concentrate and sugar being added in the beginning is a flavor additive and a ABV booster. after about 2 weeks it reaches a low enough gravity to keg it. If u bottle it u need to wait at least a month or your going to have a messy explosion of apple cider when u open the bottles. I prefer kegging. When I keg I add 1 can apple concentrate and 2 cans rasbery lemonade concentrate and abound 1.5 lbs of frozen rasberrys . It's amazing like drinking lemonade that will knock your socks off. The ABV has got to be some were between 7% -10%

Old 12-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #30
Danno81
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Of coarse I carb with co2 when I keg it...

Quick Reply