Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > 5 Day Sweet Country Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2011, 01:55 AM   #41
StophJS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm brewing this up in the next couple days with 1 1/2 lb honey instead of the brown sugar. I think I may want to cold crash it for the purpose of getting rid of excess yeast, but it may very well be around freezing temperature when I do. A few questions if anyone feels like giving their input.. What temperature is too cold to cold crash? How long should this be done around 32 degrees or so? Also, how will this affect my carb time in the bottle before I pasteurize? Thanks.

Edit: Also forgot to ask, how imperative is it that I ferment this at the bottom of the range for the US-05 I'm using?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 03:16 AM   #42
StophJS
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just got this going today. OG was 1.058? Little disappointed about that. I just plan on letting it ferment to 1.02 so I can at least get my 5% abv. US-05 got going on this in 5 hours.. maybe because it's 76 degrees in here. Not exactly ideal but hopefully the taste won't suffer too much. I also notice there is a fair amount of stuff in the bottom of the fermenter while there wasn't really anything settled out in the jugs.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #43
LTownLiquorPig
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by StophJS View Post
Just got this going today. OG was 1.058? Little disappointed about that. I just plan on letting it ferment to 1.02 so I can at least get my 5% abv. US-05 got going on this in 5 hours.. maybe because it's 76 degrees in here. Not exactly ideal but hopefully the taste won't suffer too much. I also notice there is a fair amount of stuff in the bottom of the fermenter while there wasn't really anything settled out in the jugs.
I had to fight to get mine to 1.06 or so. I'm doing the same, getting it to 5% and going with it.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #44
PortlandPatrick
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer007 View Post
Cold crashing in winter? I'm located in frozen north. So in winter it can be 20 below or colder. Could I rack to a secondary & cold crash for 4-5 hours outside & then bottle pasteurize?
As mentioned, keep an eye on it. If it does freeze pretty solid, you can drain off the nonfrozen portion and claim you intentionally made apple jack

Old 11-14-2011, 05:20 AM   #45
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I plan on making a 1-2 gallon batch of this tomorrow afternoon, fermenting in a growler and then transferring to some swing-top juice bottles I picked up at World Market. Would anything detrimental happen if'n I pitch the whole yeast packet into a smaller batch like that?

Old 11-14-2011, 01:30 PM   #46
StophJS
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
I plan on making a 1-2 gallon batch of this tomorrow afternoon, fermenting in a growler and then transferring to some swing-top juice bottles I picked up at World Market. Would anything detrimental happen if'n I pitch the whole yeast packet into a smaller batch like that?
That would be considered overpitching, and will probably just mean you'll have more yeast in your finished product than you probably want. Stick those bottles in the fridge for a few days though and pour gently and I imagine it will be just fine in the glass.

Also, I just finished this recipe (1 1/2 lb honey instead of brown sugar, + yeast nutrients) and figured I'd let people know how it turned out. I did 4 gallons with a packet of rehydrated US-05, fermented at 60. OG was roughly 1.06 and I pulled the plug and bottled after 4 days when it was at about 1.02 (5% abv). Not really sure why but I actually added a half cup of table sugar as well at bottling time, not that any priming was necessary. As I was bottling I ended up with a half a bottle at the end, plus I broke the top off one when capping, so I drank about 1 1/2 of these right then and there. Tasted great and actually had a little carbonation already at that point. Got a nice buzz from them as well Much more so than you would expect given the ABV.

I bottled at about 4 PM in 75 F temps, let sit and cracked one open roughly 6 hours later, and had the bottle fizz up a lot and nearly overflow but not quite. The cider itself didn't seem super carbonated but was adequately carbed, so I'm not sure what the mechanics of this was. Either way I went ahead and pasteurized of course. Pasteurization on the stove-top following the sticky was a breeze. Afterwards there is what appears to be dead yeast floating at the top of the bottle. Today that has settled to the bottom and the cider has begun to clear further. Definitely recommend and had fun with this recipe. Find some quality cider to start with though. With such an incomplete fermentation this is obviously going to be most important for determining the final qualities of the cider. Cheers!

Old 11-15-2011, 04:04 PM   #47
LTownLiquorPig
Recipes 

Down to 1.01 today, was hoping to catch it at about 1.02 but things got a little hectic round here. Adding Gelatin as soon as this is typed and going to cold crash.

Tastes pretty good. A little warmer than I was hoping for. After clearing a little with the gelatin I will bottle and pasteurize.

Edit: and big time cinnamon aftertaste. Not expected, but I like it! Hope the boss will as well.

Don't even break it out if you ain't gonna share.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:30 PM   #48
LTownLiquorPig
Recipes 

Bottled, this morning. Drinking my second bottle now. Don't think I caught it in time, was at 1.002 or so (almost 1.000). Hoping it still might carb, but it's a still cider right now. Very drinkable and by my math at 62* it comes in at about 7.7%.

Back to a beer next, a session beer I'm thinking.

Thanks for the recipe!

Don't even break it out if you ain't gonna share.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:46 PM   #49
SandMBrewCo
Recipes 

Im having an issue. I hope that someone can help.

I made a two gallon batch of this adding about 3 lbs of brown sugar and 4 lemons.

I heated about .5 gal of the cider near boiling and dissolved the brown sugar. Added to carboy with the other 1.5 gal of cider. OG 1.102

This morning, no air lock activity. Gravity was 1.105(aprox). Got home from work and its the same story.

Im not sure if I pitched the yeast too soon and the 'must' (don't think this is a wort) was too hot and killed the yeast? I also made a yeast starter and added the yeast nutrient in with the starter.

Can anyone shine some light on this. I made a gallon batch about a month ago and it was fantastic. Heavy fermentation within 24 hours. Hope i didn't mess it up. This was for thanksgiving, and time is getting short.

Also - I added 2 tsp of cinnamon extract. Don't know if this may related to the issue.

Last edited by SandMBrewCo; 11-22-2011 at 03:42 AM.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:02 AM   #50
SandMBrewCo
Recipes 

Just added about a gram of champagne yeast. Hopefully i didn't jump the gun. The more I brew, the more I realize the importance of patience. A word that starts with 'F' comes to mind. lol

Last edited by SandMBrewCo; 11-22-2011 at 03:41 AM.

Quick Reply