Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > 5 Day Sweet Country Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2013, 06:33 AM   #311
BennyBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

From what I have read you could add preservatives but I thought when you kegged and carbed and kept it cold it would be fine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2013, 07:07 AM   #312
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1729 Times on 1225 Posts
Likes Given: 2906

What about adding campden tablets and potassium together to kill yeast. Does that work?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 10-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #313
kingogames
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 114

2nd Batch in the bottle. Used Peach-Apple cider this time. Took about a week to get down to 1030. Probably because it's been getting colder. I wanted to get it lower, around 1025, but i'm busy for the next few days so i didn't want it to get too dry!

Old 10-14-2013, 12:00 AM   #314
trebor678
Recipes 

How long should you cold crash this for? I have just started a gallon and I'm going to cold crash it at about 1.030 (my OG was 1.068) and then pasteurise it with some carbonation

Old 10-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #315
Skyphoxx
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Any corn sugar needed at bottling time on this?

Bottled / Kegged: Limey Bastard | Manly Stout of Manliness | Krick'n| Wit's End

Old 10-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #316
K9de
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyphoxx View Post
Any corn sugar needed at bottling time on this?
it depends on the amount of sugars still in the cider, if you crashed it at 1.03 then that should be plenty of sugars left to make carbonation; and you probably can still carb with lower gravity, I'd imagine anything over 1.005 would be fine, but I don't have a lot of experience, just info from what I've gathered from these forums.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #317
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1729 Times on 1225 Posts
Likes Given: 2906

MY OG was 1.065 and I tested it today and it hit 1.024 (1.025 using the conversion based on temp of cider). It wasn't terrible but I did use Trader Joe's spiced apple cider. I am cold crashing it now because it took on the color of yeast at the bottom of a bottle. I'm just curious to see if it clears at all.

It's about 5.38% ABV. I don't think I will give this one away unless it turns out more appealing color wise. Having to keep a gallon jug of cider isn't the worst thing that can happen to me today.

It's a great, easy, and fast recipe. Thanks to the OP for posting so many moons ago.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:38 AM   #318
JKessler147
Recipes 

Default Giving this a try in a day

Ok, so I am going to give this a try. I am a regular brewer but this is only my second batch of cider. First batch is a dry English cider. Here is my plan, let me know if I am missing anything:

1. 5 gallons of local uv pasteurized cider (3/4 gallon heated up to incorporate 2-3 lbs of brown sugar and a few cinnamon sticks). I am trying to get an OG of about 1.080 (Do I need more sugar here?).
2. Ferment with Nottingham yeast.
3. I am looking to ferment for 3 days to get it to about 1.020 to reach ~6.5% ABV. I'll test to make sure. I don't know if I can cold crash this (the difficulties of apartment living).
4. I plan to bottle this with no additional corn sugar or DME, then monitor with a plastic bottle every 4 hours or so until the bottle is firm, then pasteurize.
5. Pasteurize on a stovetop by immersing the bottles just up to the cap in water heated over 150F for 10 minutes (like the sticky says).
6. Refrigerate, drink, and enjoy.

Does this sound right? Any other pieces of advice to a cider neophyte? Thanks.

-Jeff

Old 11-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #319
Soilworker
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKessler147 View Post
Ok, so I am going to give this a try. I am a regular brewer but this is only my second batch of cider. First batch is a dry English cider. Here is my plan, let me know if I am missing anything:

1. 5 gallons of local uv pasteurized cider (3/4 gallon heated up to incorporate 2-3 lbs of brown sugar and a few cinnamon sticks). I am trying to get an OG of about 1.080 (Do I need more sugar here?).
2. Ferment with Nottingham yeast.
3. I am looking to ferment for 3 days to get it to about 1.020 to reach ~6.5% ABV. I'll test to make sure. I don't know if I can cold crash this (the difficulties of apartment living).
4. I plan to bottle this with no additional corn sugar or DME, then monitor with a plastic bottle every 4 hours or so until the bottle is firm, then pasteurize.
5. Pasteurize on a stovetop by immersing the bottles just up to the cap in water heated over 150F for 10 minutes (like the sticky says).
6. Refrigerate, drink, and enjoy.

Does this sound right? Any other pieces of advice to a cider neophyte? Thanks.

-Jeff
Almost exactly how I did mine...came out awesome, just make sure you keep your fermentation temps within reason. Also I'd make sure you go off taste and not just gravity alone, when it tastes good go ahead and bottle and pasteurize once the bottles are carbonated.

Mine took a bit longer than 5 days to reach the gravity but make sure you monitor it. If it goes too long you'll get a tart but relatively tasteless drink. Though if it goes too low just back sweeten with some apple juice concentrate, I've done this and it came out fine.

Secondary: West Flanders Red, Golden Sour, Saison Brett #2 with Brett custersianus and Brett naardenensis, Saison Brett #1 with Brett bruxellensis

On Deck: 100% Brett IPA, West Flanders Red #2 with ECY BugFarm

Old 11-22-2013, 12:28 AM   #320
BeantownBrawler
Recipes 

Just tossed this in the bucket the other night and it was rolling away in no time. Only problem is that now on the second day of active bubbles in the airlock, I'm getting a sulfur smell- obviously hoping this is going to go away! Any thoughts? Thanks!

Quick Reply