Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > 5 Day Sweet Country Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #301
revkev6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

from what i've read you cant make a carbonated cider with wine bottles, it will push out the cork or break the bottles with very little carbonation.

ok... I'm 3.5 days after I started my cider. I used pasteurized cider from a farm that had a SG of 1.045 and was fairly tart. I added enough brown sugar to bring it up to a sg of 1.072. used 1/4 package of nottingham yeast in a gallon batch. I started it tuesday night and checked it on saturday morning.. it measured at 1.025. I tasted it and it was SUPER tart. smelled very yeasty. very hard to get beyond the smell..

did I do something wrong?? I know it went longer than it should have but figured it would be better... I have it carbing up in bottles then will store in the fridge... if it doesn't taste better I think I will throw them back in the jug to ferment out fully.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #302
Svenhook
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Do the boiled cinnamon sticks go in the fermenter?

Old 09-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #303
kingogames
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 115

In the bottle now. One plastic. Started on Sunday 9/22. Down to just below 1030. Going to continually monitor pressure of plastic bottle, but probably pasteurize tomorrow.

One question: the whole point of this is quick turnaround and convenience. Because there is no long term aging involved. Oxidation shouldn't be a huge issue, so I just bottled out of the one gal. bottle I fermented in using a funnel. Got 8 bottles or so out of 1 gal. Does anyone think this is going to be a problem if I drink it up pretty quick? 2-3 weeks.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #304
kingogames
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by revkev6 View Post
Ok first batch of cider and I havent gotten my scale yet... anyone know how many cups of brown sugar you would add per gallon of cider?
Original recipe calls for 1.25 lb that's 20 oz (16+4) for 5 gal, so for 1 gal that would be 5 oz or about 1/3 cup.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:44 AM   #305
kingogames
Recipes 

Mine carbed up in about 6 hrs. Pasteurizing now. One bottle just broke. Good thing i had the lid on!!! Drinking the plastic tester over ice. Very good. In fact, I had some Fireball here and added a shot since I didn't brew with cinnamon. VERY GOOD!!!!!

Old 09-26-2013, 05:10 AM   #306
kingogames
Recipes 

Ok guys, good news. I just blew a cap off one bottle, so now I can drink it!!! Well, the two-thirds that are left! The rest are safely chilling in the fridge!

Old 09-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #307
Wheatmeister
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made a batch of this last year and still have a case left, it's better and less tart with age. Just fyi. If you're going to make something to age, though, make some apflwein with cote de blucs yeast and some fresh cider from your local orchard. After 1 year it's amazing

Old 10-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #308
mike2026417
Recipes 

Made a 2 gallon batch of this with s-04 yeast.had the OG at 1.072, and bottled last night at 1.018. Just checked a bottle, not a lot of carb but it tastes good ( one bottle and you feel it). by far the quickest easiest way to get a sweet cider. I can't wait to see how it tastes after sitting a week.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:52 AM   #309
kingogames
Recipes 

After having done this method, now I'm rethinking my brewing process concerning stopping early, carbing and pasteurizing. Anyone try this with different recipes? How did it turn out?

Old 10-10-2013, 02:10 AM   #310
Nivek
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I loved this stuff so much last year that I’m making many more gallons this fall. I am however having issues trying to figure out how to get it in a keg and stop the fermentation. I can’t get a whole carboy in the fridge, and I just discovered stove top pasteurizing in gallon jugs is a little unreliable. Has anyone had any luck doing this?

Quick Reply