Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > 5 Day Sweet Country Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #281
jimwitt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Was thinking i might try sour apple Jolly Rancher to back sweeten a batch that went to long.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2013, 05:36 AM   #282
AdamJDuncan
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

So this is my first brew! Wanted to do something for a long, long time but have been overwhelmed by all the steps. This seems like a nice starter, so thanks for the recipe! 2 1/2 gallons, OG 1.060, currently (2 1/4 days later) 1.032, I'll wait until tomorrow morning to bottle. I'm a canner and will be using strong 1L flip-tops so not too worried about the pasteurization; just checking in to give future readers my experience with this.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #283
jmg727
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I would be very hesitant to ignore pasteurization at that fg unless you can keep them refrigerated.

You can't always get what you want, but when you find what you need, buy two of them ...

Old 06-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #284
dayflyer55
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJDuncan View Post
So this is my first brew! Wanted to do something for a long, long time but have been overwhelmed by all the steps. This seems like a nice starter, so thanks for the recipe! 2 1/2 gallons, OG 1.060, currently (2 1/4 days later) 1.032, I'll wait until tomorrow morning to bottle. I'm a canner and will be using strong 1L flip-tops so not too worried about the pasteurization; just checking in to give future readers my experience with this.
+100-- bottle pasteurization is not just because the bottles can't handle the pressure. A couple things will happen, even if the bottle doesn't explode 1) the introduction of oxygen will make the co2 shoot the liquid out of the bottle, leaving at least half of your cider as foam or on the floor (I have the stains on the ceiling of my garage to prove it!) 2) it's going to be incredibly dry. Like un-drink-ably so.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #285
AdamJDuncan
Recipes 

Hi appreciate the advice, but think there was a misunderstanding. I meant I wasn't worried about getting the technique down.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:04 PM   #286
AdamJDuncan
Recipes 

Hey there... bottled this at 1.027. Pasteurized about 12 hours later. 1 litre bottles definitely need a lot of headspace as the boiling expands the liquid. I guess it's a bit undercarbonated, but hey what can ya do. My friend thought it was a commercial cider, and I agree that it's a very nice recipe. Will do this again, with twice the cinnamon. I put a drop of vanilla extract in a glass of this and it doesn't work.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #287
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Got a block party in 3 weeks, looking for something else quick to make that's light and summery people will enjoy...already got a Saison, Blackberry Blonde and Ginger Beer, i like the idea of this...with the ability to keg to put the yeast to sleep i should be able to get it just as sweet as i want.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #288
NashamBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just did a 1 gallon batch using soft Belgian candy sugar in lieu of the brown sugar. It's been in the primary for about a day and so far it's looking pretty good. I'm going to cold crash this in another day then bottle her up. Well see how it turns out after I pasteurize it.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #289
danishd43
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashamBrewer
I just did a 1 gallon batch using soft Belgian candy sugar in lieu of the brown sugar. It's been in the primary for about a day and so far it's looking pretty good. I'm going to cold crash this in another day then bottle her up. Well see how it turns out after I pasteurize it.
Are you going to check the ABV before you bottle it? I've had some in primary for four days now and am going to leave it until tomorrow. It's still pretty sweet and the ABV is still under 5%. Just a thought

Old 07-12-2013, 04:24 AM   #290
NashamBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've not pulled a sample for a gravity reading. As long as it tastes good then I'm happy. Your comment did sway my decision to leave it in the primary for a little longer though. Once it's bottled and carbed up, I'll post some tasting notes.

Quick Reply