Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > 5 Day Sweet Country Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 12:24 AM   #251
max384
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 227

I just put a 5 gallon batch of this in the fermenter. I used 4 gallons of store bought Musselman's cider (no preservatives, pasteurized) and one gallon of store brand apple juice (again, no preservatives, pasteurized). I wanted to use all five gallons of cider, but the store only had 4 gallons, so I added the extra gallon of juice.

I originally added 1lb 9oz of brown sugar (to keep with the proportions of the recipe), but the OG was only 1.060 at 68 degrees F. I added the rest of the bag to bring the total amount of sugar added up to 2 lb. The OG was 1.064 (so a corrected OG of 1.065 according to Dave's dreaded specific gravity calculator).

I also added 1/4 tsp pectic enzyme by the recommendation of my LHBS. Does pectic enzyme have any effect on the OG? I added it about half an hour before pitching the yeast.

I'm just wondering why I was so far off from the OP's OG.

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” -Winston Churchill

IBA # 56,419

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #252
dayflyer55
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
I just put a 5 gallon batch of this in the fermenter. I used 4 gallons of store bought Musselman's cider (no preservatives, pasteurized) and one gallon of store brand apple juice (again, no preservatives, pasteurized). I wanted to use all five gallons of cider, but the store only had 4 gallons, so I added the extra gallon of juice.

I originally added 1lb 9oz of brown sugar (to keep with the proportions of the recipe), but the OG was only 1.060 at 68 degrees F. I added the rest of the bag to bring the total amount of sugar added up to 2 lb. The OG was 1.064 (so a corrected OG of 1.065 according to Dave's dreaded specific gravity calculator).

I also added 1/4 tsp pectic enzyme by the recommendation of my LHBS. Does pectic enzyme have any effect on the OG? I added it about half an hour before pitching the yeast

I'm just wondering why I was so far off from the OP's OG.
Did you heat it? You need to heat everything up to melt the sugar and create a solution. If you don't do that, the sugar won't be picked up in the gravity reading.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #253
max384
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayflyer55 View Post
Did you heat it? You need to heat everything up to melt the sugar and create a solution. If you don't do that, the sugar won't be picked up in the gravity reading.
I heated one gallon mixed with the brown sugar up to about 120 degrees. The sugar was completely dissolved. When I added it to the rest of the cider in my primary fermenter I stirred it very well and could tell the sugar was in solution, as there wasn't that 'granular' feeling on the bottom when stirring. I feel pretty confident all the sugar was dissolved.

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” -Winston Churchill

IBA # 56,419

Old 01-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #254
Nogud247
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcorona
Started a 4 gal batch on Wednesday. OG 1.069. Added half a cup of toasted wood chips that had soaked in vodka for a couple days. Bottled on Saturday with a gravity of 1.028. Opened one after 6 hours, some carbonation, but nothing excessive. Waited another 2 hours and then put in dish washer to sterilize. Three bottles exploded in the dish washer.

Put them in the beer fridge and tasted on Sunday. I would estimate they ended up about 5.5% ABV. They taste great, have good, but not excessive carbonation. Very cloudy. It is difficult to explain the exploded bottles based on the carb level of those that survived. Weak bottles? Will make this again. Thanks.
Pretty close on the guess!
image-773983974.jpg  

Old 01-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #255
Nivek
Recipes 

I have done a couple batches of this already with great results. However, on my latest batch I seem to have made a mistake. I left the cinnamon sticks (ceylon) in the primary thinking it would simply impart more cinnamon flavor over the short time frame... This smells like the feet of a five day old corpse. The taste is better, but not by much. Is there any way to fix this? I assume letting it dry out and age might do it but that's not what I had in mind for this batch.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #256
vesebr
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
I have done a couple batches of this already with great results. However, on my latest batch I seem to have made a mistake. I left the cinnamon sticks (ceylon) in the primary thinking it would simply impart more cinnamon flavor over the short time frame... This smells like the feet of a five day old corpse. The taste is better, but not by much. Is there any way to fix this? I assume letting it dry out and age might do it but that's not what I had in mind for this batch.
I just started fermenting this about an hour ago and it was at 1.067. I left the cinnamon sticks in there. You say that the taste is "better". Does this mean "better than my last batch" or "better than it smells"? Should I take the sticks out?

Old 01-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #257
Nivek
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesebr View Post

I just started fermenting this about an hour ago and it was at 1.067. I left the cinnamon sticks in there. You say that the taste is "better". Does this mean "better than my last batch" or "better than it smells"? Should I take the sticks out?
Hah, sorry for the confusion. I meant it tastes better than it smells. My previous 5-day style batches have tasted amazing. So much so that it has convinced me to alter the method in which I will make all my sweet/semi-sweet ciders from here out.

I don't see anyone else here having this issue with the smell, so I assume it is either some sort of contamination or the ceylon cinnamon being eaten by the yeasties. I have re read the recipe and am not sure if it calls for cinnamon and vanilla in the fermentor or if the flavors are obtained from the small amount of juice heated on the stove top with those ingredients. I think steeping the cinnamon is what I'm trying next time.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #258
Justdrumin
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Hey all! Noob to homebrew and takin stab at cider. I made mine with a lil less than a gallon of motts with a hole cut in the cap for the grommet and airlock : ) I added a frozen can of apple, mango, passion, 1/2 cup of sugar melted down. Gave it a good shake added hydrated 1/4 pack of Windsor dry yeast, gave it a lil shake and put the airlock on. I was gonna bottle carb and test with a pet bottle in a few days. OG was 1.070 and shooting for 1.020. Any comments or concerns? It's the one on the left. On the right is a variant of Edworts Apfelwein that I'm gonna leave for a few more months. : ) I wanted something sooner (and something sweeter for the swmbo). Did I leave enough headspace in the 5 day one?

Edit: I should probably mention after bottle carbing I plan to pasteurize. Is there any reason to prime or will there be enough to carb? Any feedback on stove top vs dishwasher pasteurize? Thanks everyone...one batch of beer just finishing bottle conditioning and I'm workin on batch number 2 of hard cider....officially EXTREMELY addicted!! Thankfully i have ya'll to help me!

imag0148.jpg  

Old 04-01-2013, 12:27 AM   #259
fizgig
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I made a 2 gallon batch based on this recipe but with juice, it turned out amazing. All the cider had sorbate this time of year so I used juice. I had to more than double the sugar (proportionally it needed 10oz, I used 22oz) to hit the close to gravity listed in this thread's recipe (mine was 1.071), Mott's all natural juice was at 1.044 by itself. I also juiced 6 granny smith apples with my juicer and added that to get a bit more flavor, added pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient and yeast energizer per directions on the bottle. I took it down to 1.027 as it seemed really sweet still at 1.04, I assume after carbing for a day and pasteurizing it's at 1.025 or so. It came out really clear despite being cloudy at bottling. It's semi-sweet but with the amount of alcohol in it, it doesn't seem super sweet, it's fully carbed. I cold crashed it on my 35 degree porch the night before bottling, it probably kept a lot of CO2 in solution and cleared out some of the yeast.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:33 AM   #260
Lagger
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have this coming up tomorrow and looking for suggestions on ferm temps. Not listed on page 1 & haven't really seen it discussed. Is it the typical "dont run Notty over 68 or bad things will happen". What's everyone using?

Thanks & look forward to this

Quick Reply