Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > 5 Day Sweet Country Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #231
Matterpro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Not sure how well you're gonna clear that cider out, but report back if you use finings like gelatin and how it worked or didn't.

I just tossed a couple bottles of my last cider batch in with the rest of the beer batch for my brew partner when we split up our last bottled beer and forgot to tell him. He grabbed one of the ciders (unlabeled) and texted me last night saying he got a beer that was all yeast (it was really the cloudy cider!). Then I told him it was cider and he texted me back extolling it to be the best cider he'd tasted. The cloudiness, IMHO, adds to the mouthfeel that sets this cider apart from the crystal clear dry versions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #232
ong
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matterpro
Not sure how well you're gonna clear that cider out, but report back if you use finings like gelatin and how it worked or didn't.
I've done a few batches and they always seem to clear pretty well after a few days in the fridge.

Oregonians: trade canned goods, homebrew, fresh produce, and more at chowswap.org!

Old 12-01-2012, 12:03 AM   #233
newbrewcandl
Recipes 

Okay so another quick question, we have the campdon tablets but were wounding if we need them or not the cider we bot is pasuturised already but it is not uv pasturised also how long should we wait before pintching the yeist

Old 12-01-2012, 12:44 AM   #234
rialaigh
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

my issue isnt really how clear or cloudy it is. Its how much yeast I am going to suck through the spigot when bottling the first 5 bottles if I dont siphon it out, clean the bottling bucket, and siphon it back.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:05 AM   #235
rialaigh
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Well guys, OG was 1.08, 3 days in im at 1.06, seems to be going a bit slower then most others in this thread but not sure if the 5 gallon batch will just take a bit longer than the 1 gallon batches...

No reason to be concerned I guess, still getting good airlock activity, its just not wild

Old 12-01-2012, 04:16 AM   #236
Zippox
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbrewcandl View Post
Okay so another quick question, we have the campdon tablets but were wounding if we need them or not the cider we bot is pasuturised already but it is not uv pasturised also how long should we wait before pintching the yeist
Why would there be waiting time for pitching the yeast. Do it right after you add all the other ingredients.

You're going to put the campden tablets in the carboy when the taste is to your liking. It will kill the yeast and thus stop the sugar level from dropping.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:59 AM   #237
MeinBrew
Recipes 

Trying this recipe tomorrow but want to use honey. Is there a conversion for brown sugar to honey?

Old 12-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #238
dudius
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinBrew
Trying this recipe tomorrow but want to use honey. Is there a conversion for brown sugar to honey?
I personally would try an equal conversion at minimum, but I love my honey.

Check out my beer blog http://indiebeerdrinker.blogspot.com/

Old 12-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #239
MeinBrew
Recipes 

Made this last night and its already taking off. I did have a question about sanitizing though. Since this is going to be pasteurized after I bottle, how extensive do my cleaning and sanitization methods need to be?

Old 12-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #240
rialaigh
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Mine really slowed down in the last 48 hours. I was really hoping to get to about 1.025 before bottling but today is my last day off for quite a few days so I had to go ahead and bottle at 1.036, OG was 1.08 so an ABV of about 5.7%, was really hoping for more like 6.5-7% but I willshoot for that next time.

Just got it bottled, wish me luck with a few hours of carbonation and then the dreaded 190 degree pasturizing...hoping for no bottle bombs.

55 bottles, in neat rows 5.5 gallon batch. If this stuff pasturizes fine and tastes good in a week I will start another 5.5 gallon batch in a week and plan on giving it a few more days...

Quick Reply