Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > 5 Day Sweet Country Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2012, 02:00 AM   #171
sburggsx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

a) Nice label.

b) I've been searching for cider for about 3 weeks now. Finally found some at Whole Foods. Pasteurized but all natural. Bought half of what they had.

Followed the recipe exactly and it's sitting on noddy now. OG was 1.064ish at 68*. This is my first try at cider so I hope it turns out well!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012, 02:36 AM   #172
Zippox
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I wish I knew what 1.040 tasted like. I feel like that would be crazy sweet so I am planning on bottling at 1.020, but I don't really know what that would taste like either. Shucks, looks like I'll have to make another batch of cider to find out

Old 09-09-2012, 03:51 AM   #173
Watson383
Recipes 

Woodchuck cider has a gravity of 1.022. I don't know if that helps you or not.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:03 AM   #174
Zippox
Recipes 

Actually that does, thanks for posting that.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #175
ong
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made this a few days ago, using cheap Fred Meyer house brand concentrated apple juice in a 3 gallon Better Bottle. Fermentation was just under 3 days (to get to 1.04), and the bottles carbed up within 4 hours. Actually they were a bit more highly carbed then I would have preferred by then! Pasteurized them in 190 degree water, and they came out great. This is definitely a different flavor from commercial ciders -- much more of a fresh apple juice flavor. Really delicious, though, and *extremely* easy and inexpensive. I'm starting another batch (on the same cake) with about 10 ounces of fresh squeezed ginger juice in 3 gallons of apple juice.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #176
sburggsx
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburggsx View Post
a) Nice label.

b) I've been searching for cider for about 3 weeks now. Finally found some at Whole Foods. Pasteurized but all natural. Bought half of what they had.

Followed the recipe exactly and it's sitting on noddy now. OG was 1.064ish at 68*. This is my first try at cider so I hope it turns out well!
Ok so I let this go for a full 5 days. FG seems to be 1.020 at about 73 degrees. Looking somewhere north of 6% abv. I could see bubbles in the uncapped bottles so I know it's still working. Going to pasturize them in a few hours.... minus 4 that go in the freezer for cold crashing and immediate consumption.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #177
hubblyGoz
Recipes 

I just made this two days ago and still in the fermenter. only difference is that i didnt have nottingham yeast and used a professional bakers yeast instead. did a gravity reading and got 1.050 so im gonna let it sit another day before bottling. It tastes freakin delicious so far!, and im sure its a little bit yeastier tasting than if i did use nottingham. gonna filter before bottling. thanks for the awesome and quick recipe!!!

Old 10-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #178
guscampag
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wow. I had no luck at all with this. I bottled at 1.04 per the recipe. The stuff tasted very good! However, I let it carb up one day after bottling and the test bottle was as hard as a rock. I opened it to drink it and it was way too carbonated. I should have realized that I needed to do something different. Like I said, it did taste good. I first tried to pasteurize in the dishwasher. 3 of the bottles blew up in there. I cleaned up that mess and decided to try to pasteurize in a kettle. 2 of them blew up in there. I took the kettle off the stove to the cellar and a couple of them blew up down there. I began to open the rest and dump into a bucket. Wow, they were so carbed up that when I opened with the bottle opener, some of them flew out of my hand! I literally could not hold on to them! I got completely soaked with cider. Not sure what I will do with what is left.
I would like to figure out how to do this right, because, like I said the stuff tasted great.
This was my first experience with bottle bombs and I now have a RESPECT for what they can do. I don't want to go through that again. Very dangerous. I am glad to be uninjured! Need to clean up the mess in the basement tonight!

Old 10-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #179
Zippox
Recipes 

I have read recently that if you don't give the CO2 time to dissolve into solution you can get gushers. This might be the case and I would say put them in the fridge and dont open them for around 30 days. I just watched a video of the dramatic effect that waiting a month and having it chilled has. If I remember later today I can post that video. I'm not saying that this for sure will fix it but it seems possible.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #180
guscampag
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yes - GUSHERS! That's the work I was searching for!

Quick Reply