Wow. I had no luck at all with this. I bottled at 1.04 per the recipe. The stuff tasted very good! However, I let it carb up one day after bottling and the test bottle was as hard as a rock. I opened it to drink it and it was way too carbonated. I should have realized that I needed to do something different. Like I said, it did taste good. I first tried to pasteurize in the dishwasher. 3 of the bottles blew up in there. I cleaned up that mess and decided to try to pasteurize in a kettle. 2 of them blew up in there. I took the kettle off the stove to the cellar and a couple of them blew up down there. I began to open the rest and dump into a bucket. Wow, they were so carbed up that when I opened with the bottle opener, some of them flew out of my hand! I literally could not hold on to them! I got completely soaked with cider. Not sure what I will do with what is left.
I would like to figure out how to do this right, because, like I said the stuff tasted great.
This was my first experience with bottle bombs and I now have a RESPECT for what they can do. I don't want to go through that again. Very dangerous. I am glad to be uninjured! Need to clean up the mess in the basement tonight!