Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > 5 Day Sweet Country Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2012, 04:53 AM   #151
Axis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

This is my first time brewing so you could imagine my surprise when I found out that my batch actually turned out perfect. I just pulled a bottle from one of my batches and it tasted great it's still a bit sweet and after it's carbonated and cold tastes amazing thanks for sharing this awesome recipe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #152
scottsaxman
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

First time cider brewer here, though I have brewed a few batches of all grain beer. I am hoping to make only one gallon of this just to see what it is like and get a little experience. However, I have a yeast question. Nottingham is almost $5, while champagne yeast is 75 cents. Can I use the champagne yeast without ill effect, assuming I pasteurized to stop the fermentation in the bottle?

Old 06-22-2012, 12:04 AM   #153
scottsaxman
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well, my cider is complete. It tasted quite foul right out of the fermenter - very yeasty. I bottled it and waited about 3 days, then pasteurized. It should have waited a few more days, as it happens, but it is very lightly carbonated (like, if you pay attention, you will see some bubbles). After about a week or so, it finally tastes OK out of the refrigerator. Not sweet exactly, but not terribly dry. I think I caught it at 1.004, but I had a hard time getting a solid read. It is tart and pretty refreshing. All in all, forgiving my n00b brewz0r skillz, it seems like a decent deal. This was my first stab at cider and I learned a lot.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:33 AM   #154
MeadWitch
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Interesting recipe.

Tertiary: Sweet Dried Cherry/Vanilla Mead, Prickly Pear Mead, Jalapeno-Peach Sweet Mead

Bottled: Huajillo Honey Mead - 4 bottles only, first ever mead, Light Draft Style Cider, Raspberry Mead, Hibiscus Mead, JAOM, Peach Melba Mead, Limoncello, Kahlua, Spiced Winter Cider, Orange/Vanilla Mead

Old 07-08-2012, 02:44 AM   #155
chemdoc
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Bottled this thursday after 4 days fermenting. Started on top of a US-05 yeast cake. Was going like crazy after 3-4 hours. I probably let it go too far, as the FG was 1.010 (OG 1.058 ). Carbed up in about 5-6 hours and had to pasteurize quickly to avoid bombs. After sitting in the fridge for a few days, a lot has settled out. taste so far is a tad tart. Hope it mellows out a bit. Don't know if I could drink as is.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #156
goforevercrazywithit
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Fermentation was finished by day 3. FG got all the way down to 1.006. In all honesty tasted like ass. Little sweetness, very hollow tasting if that makes sense. Maybe a backsweetening is in order. I love this idea and am going to try it again but try to catch the SG way earlier to keep more flavor in. Probably give fermentation a day and a half or so. Awesome idea, I just need to work on gettin my process right.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:32 AM   #157
roymullins
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

sounds good- but do you really get 5% after just a couple of days of fermentation? seems like I have run mine completely dry and only get to 5 or 6%...? not that it matters- if it tastes good then who gives a damn... just curious-

Old 08-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #158
petie
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 61 Posts

I transferred my imperial blonde to the secondary today and figured since I got a little lag I'd try this. I'm thinkin bout a full 5 gallons. Maybe add a little more brown sugar and an extra cinnamon stick. I like cider to have a little higher abv so I'm thinkin bout a back sweeten with frozen concentrate. Any thoughts.

If it didn't matter,it wouldn't matter!

Old 08-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #159
petie
Recipes 

Started this Sunday morning at 11 am had about 1.067. Checked it last night at 11 pm and I was around 1.052 and get a bubble out of the airlock about every 4 seconds. She's percolating nicely.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #160
petie
Recipes 

I'm down to 1.042 sg. I'm shootin for 1.03-1.02. Won't be long now.

Quick Reply