Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Winter Mead (melo-meth)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2011, 01:13 AM   #21
mgc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I tasted it last weekend and it was getting good. No more funny rubber taste and the nose is much better. I'm going to bottle it this weekend but I am assuming it won't be fully drinkable for another few months. I will update then.

Thanks for the comments.

Primary: Yoopers not so American Pale Ale
Secondary: notta :(

Kegged: Modified Janet's Brown Ale

Bulk aging: Winter Mead (melo-meth), NB Blue maple wine, and a Traditional mead.
On the shelf/in the fridge: Drank it all :(

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 02:03 AM   #22
mgc
Recipes 

After having another taste and checking the gravity I decided to hold off on bottling. Mine is still fermenting. I am going to rack it and add some strong tea to bring up the tannins (it was lacking a little in complexity)
I will update on progress in a few months.

Bulk aging: Winter Mead (melo-meth), NB Blue maple wine, and a Traditional mead.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:04 PM   #23
Gorski
Recipes 

I'm going to try a 5 gal batch for next Christmas. I'm in the process of making a basic mead at the moment, and trying to learn as much as I can. Should I use pectin enzymes, or will it clear since I'll be using juice and not actual fruit? Also, did anyone try boiling the spices before adding? I've heard this really brings out the flavors. Also, I was going to use Lavlin D-47, because that's what's on hand, as well as energizer and nutrients. Any answers or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:03 AM   #24
mgc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorski View Post
I'm going to try a 5 gal batch for next Christmas. I'm in the process of making a basic mead at the moment, and trying to learn as much as I can. Should I use pectin enzymes, or will it clear since I'll be using juice and not actual fruit? Also, did anyone try boiling the spices before adding? I've heard this really brings out the flavors. Also, I was going to use Lavlin D-47, because that's what's on hand, as well as energizer and nutrients. Any answers or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hey Gorski,

I am semi-new at this so my advice it up for interpretation, but I figured I would give it while we wait for more experience.
1) you do not need pectin enzymes, not for this brew. The cider will clear on its own and the cranberry is clear to start. (Unless you use real apples/cranberries)
2) Boiling spices will bring out more flavor, but at the extreme it can bring out off flavors. If you like the taste of your boiled brew, then go for it. I started with just adding the spice to the primary. I then added some extra water at my last racking that I boiled with more spice. I found the spice to be lacking at my taste test. Whatever end up doing, try to avoid boiling the honey, this will break down its flavors.
3) Lavlin D-47 will highlight the fruit (I'm not sure what it will do to the spice). It ferments to a lower ABV, but that shouldn't be a problem in this recipe. Sounds good to me if you have some that needs using.
4)Cranberries are very high in nitrogen, so DAP isn't needed. If you see my posts above, you will see I have had problems with an off flavor with this batch. I still haven't pinned it down but I thought it might have been a lack of nutrients. It was then suggested that it had nothing to do with a lack of nutrients, and in hind sight I have to agree. Apples and cranberries are very nutrient rich (esp cranberries).

Old 04-02-2011, 06:15 AM   #25
Gorski
Recipes 

So here's the plan:

12 pounds clover honey
2 gal. ocean spray cranberry juice
2.75 gal. Mott's apple juice.
1 quart water
5 cinnamon sticks
10 cloves
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
Zest and juice from 1 orange
D-47 yeast
yeast energizer

I'll heat the juice to get the honey out and for pitching yeast. I'll break up the cinnamon and cloves a little and put the spices and orange rind in a bag, boil it for five minutes in a quart of water, then toss all that in the must. Stir it well and bottle some for back sweetening, if needed. Pitch yeast and energizer and aerate it until the 1/3 break. (I'm debating on treating the nutrients in the juice as the first dose of SNA and adding more at active fermentation and the 1/3 break. Is it possible to add too much?) Rack to secondary after about 2-3 weeks pulling out the spice bag. Age it about 3-5 months, rack again then bottle assuming the SG suggests the yeast is done.

This recipe will give me 6 gallons. I'll save 1/2 a gal of must for back sweetening if needed, or a non-alcoholic drink if it's not. I've read in one of the threads that aging on the lees of D47 brings out the spices in a mead. Unfortunately, I've not been able to find that thread again. I guess it'll depend on how flavorful the spices are when I sample during racking.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #26
mgc
Recipes 

Just tasted this one last night. After seven months in the carboy it is starting to taste really nice. I think part of my problem earlier (and why I had to age so long) was that I used really tart juices. I live in cran/apple country and I bought cold pressed fresh cranberry juice and very tart cider. It is very dry, but the apple/cran taste is there and the spice/honey is on the nose. I bet by next fall this will be an excellent mead. I might force carbonate it in my keg to try to use some effervescence to bring out the spice flavors. I would also like a little more residual sugar, but can't figure out how to do it without chemicals. If anyone has some advice I would like to hear it.

Cheers,

Old 05-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #27
bribo179
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Can I substitute chery juice for the cranberry juice? I am a chery fan and wouldn't mind a sweeter mead.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #28
SCOdoubleT
Recipes 

Just started my 1.5 gallon batch this past weekend! Looks and smells great! I have to hold myself back from drinking it right now!

Old 01-29-2012, 03:59 AM   #29
HanasHoney
Recipes 

I just made my first attempt at mead- but I was hoping someone with experience could help me out with some questions?
Is 2-3 weeks the standard first fermentation?
Also I used a 5 gal pail with airloc - so I can't see what's going on- do I need to ?
Could I open that pail to look or wait to week 2?
I used 4 quartered oranges and spices in a hops bag and floated them, should I let them loose?

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #30
MeadLover
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanasHoney View Post
I just made my first attempt at mead- but I was hoping someone with experience could help me out with some questions?
Is 2-3 weeks the standard first fermentation?
I don't have a lot of experience but I'll give it a shot. I think 2 - 3 weeks is fairly common for the primary. I've also seen recommendations to watch the airlock and rack when there's only a bubble every couple seconds or so.
Quote:
Also I used a 5 gal pail with airloc - so I can't see what's going on- do I need to ?
There's no need to see what's going on, although it can be fun to watch. Just keep an eye on the airlock and it will tell you what's going on in there. If you just started it yesterday, give it a day or so to see some bubbles.
Quote:
Could I open that pail to look or wait to week 2?
I would definitely wait until week 2, unless there's no activity in the airlock.
Quote:
I used 4 quartered oranges and spices in a hops bag and floated them, should I let them loose?

Thanks!
Loose or bagged really makes no difference. There may be slightly less flavor imparted with them in the bag but it will still work.

Mainly, relax and let it work. Mead takes time and gets better with time. I've only really brewed a few batches but I've seen almost every one get better with age.

Just a side note one the forums specifically, this post should probably have gone in the general mead forum. You would have gotten more views/replies over there.

Dave
-------------------------

Primary: Bucksnort Brown Ale, Black IPA, Chai Brown Ale, Chocolate Porter
Secondary: Winter Mead, Peach Ginger Mead
Tertiary: Caramel Apple Mead
Bottled: Honey Brown Ale, Cream Ale
On Deck: not sure

Quick Reply