Texas Twang (Jalapeno Cucumber Mead)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has any body added yeast nutrients to this mead. I'm planing in using a packet of dry wine yeast. Cant remember which one off the top of my head.This will be my first mead. Any other tips would be great.

I used a pinch of energizer and nutrients. Honey doesn't have much in the way of nutrients on its own. My batch isn't done fermenting at this point, but she is still bubbling away! I used Premier Cuvee which is a good clean wine/champagne yeast.

Has any body added yeast nutrients to this mead. I'm planing in using a packet of dry wine yeast. Cant remember which one off the top of my head.This will be my first mead. Any other tips would be great.

Ill use nutrients to help the yeast stay strong and ferment longer. If you do this mead might not finish as dry as you like. Im going to make another batch of this soon.

Im starting 2015 off right by brewing! Im trying this mead out. It is the first shot at a mead I hope it turns out good. Thanks for posting this recipe Disturbd.

So...it's a couple/few years later. I've moved to Nashville, but before I did I put all of my bottled mead in my father's basement in Pennsylvania and forgot about it.

Well, I picked it all up when I drove up for the holidays and was pretty psyched to see the trifecta of DisturbdChemist meads in a case.

The Texas Twang with a date of 10/28/2014 received the coveted "How much would you charge to make me a few bottles of this?" award from several people. It's really lovely. I'm down to a single bottle. Of course, they were pretty horrified when I told them how long it would take ;)

I haven't cracked the other two yet. But I'm more excited than I was by a long shot.

Thanks again o7

NICE!

Yeah moving into an apartment means I had to give up my forge, machine shop, woodworking, etc. I'm pretty much down to brewing and have picked up leatherworking as a making hobby. I JUST ordered a 142 bottle wine rack, 4 cases of bottles, and a bunch of chemicals. I'm going into production mode, emboldened by my successes.

I REALLY want to nail down a strawberry melomel. But DisturbdChemist's trifecta of recipes have gotten rave reviews enough that I'll always have some in production.

NICE!

Yeah moving into an apartment means I had to give up my forge, machine shop, woodworking, etc. I'm pretty much down to brewing and have picked up leatherworking as a making hobby. I JUST ordered a 142 bottle wine rack, 4 cases of bottles, and a bunch of chemicals. I'm going into production mode, emboldened by my successes.

I REALLY want to nail down a strawberry melomel. But DisturbdChemist's trifecta of recipes have gotten rave reviews enough that I'll always have some in production.

Your username sounds very familiar...Didn't you also make a few batches of Rice Wine a few years ago using Chinese Yeast Balls?

Your username sounds very familiar...Didn't you also make a few batches of Rice Wine a few years ago using Chinese Yeast Balls?

YyyyUP. Lots of it. God that stuff was so good. Moving really shook things up. My primary limitation now is square footage. I've got 9 1 gallon mead batches in secondary, plus a 5g JAOM in primary. I'll probably get a batch of rice wine going again. I keep talking it up to the office and not delivering ;)

YyyyUP. Lots of it. God that stuff was so good. Moving really shook things up. My primary limitation now is square footage. I've got 9 1 gallon mead batches in secondary, plus a 5g JAOM in primary. I'll probably get a batch of rice wine going again. I keep talking it up to the office and not delivering ;)

I hear you. Years ago when I started brewing, I lived in a 1 bedroom apartment and had 1 gallon batches everywhere. To guests who aren't familiar with brewing, it looked very shady.

does anyone have any suggestions for making this if you are just going to take it from primary to bottling? I am pretty new to this but haven't really ever racked anything (beer or mead) to secondary - I just let it sit in the primary fermentation vessel until ready to bottle.

Should I steep the veggies as normal and then just add it in less, since they'll sit in there fermenting for 2-3 months? Or just get the water and honey mixed and then add in some veggies without steeping?

does anyone have any suggestions for making this if you are just going to take it from primary to bottling? I am pretty new to this but haven't really ever racked anything (beer or mead) to secondary - I just let it sit in the primary fermentation vessel until ready to bottle.

Should I steep the veggies as normal and then just add it in less, since they'll sit in there fermenting for 2-3 months? Or just get the water and honey mixed and then add in some veggies without steeping?

I will still steep. You can bottle out of primary. I do it all the time without much issue. Secondary just gets some of the trub out and makes it clearer. All you have to do is sanitize another fermenter then move the mead over with an autosyphon. Try to not splash too much when moving the mead.

My first try at this is in the primary. Seems to be doing well. Both the cucumber and the jalapenos are fresh out of the garden. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

I read through the whole thread a while back, but I don't remember if anyone has back sweetened it? I ask because I thought a semi-sweet would possible go well. I am just considering bottling as my batch is done and beautifully clear, but then thought about back sweetening.

Back