Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Tankara T'ej

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010, 01:41 PM   #11
claphamsa
Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

where in DC is he getting the Gesho stuff?

I collect magnetic bottle openers... so if you see something nice......

claphamsa on untappd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2010, 04:29 AM   #12
alaskajoe
Recipes 

I do have a question about the size of the brew - is this a 5 gallon batch or a 3 gallon batch? I was assuming it was 5 gallons, but looking at the recipe again, it appears to be more like 3 gal. I was hoping for 5.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:27 AM   #13
alaskajoe
Recipes 

reposting that which I sent by PM to the original brewer:

I checked in with the Tankara T'ej that I brewed on 5/1/10 this evening, over a month later, and it appears to be either stuck, or fermenting as slow as possible. It was off the hydrometer on brew day, so I am guesstimating 1.180-90, and it now reads 1.110. Should I repitch some yeast you think? EC-1118? Thoughts?

Old 09-03-2010, 03:21 AM   #14
alaskajoe
Recipes 

An update on this, and some advice, if anyone's game...

About a month ago, I racked it off of the gesho leaves and sticks and the raisins to a secondary. Checked the gravity, and it was still pretty high, so I repitched 2 more packets of EC-1118 yeast.

Checking it today, 9/2/10, gravity is still at 1.100. Should I do something to get it down more? It's gone from an OG of over 1170 (it was off the hydrometer) to 1100 at current. it's very sweet but not at all unpleasant. Advice?

Old 09-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #15
Battery_BreweryNJ

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

1118 is pretty much the only yeast that will get it down, unless you use some champange yeast. I had the same issue with mine, but my OG wasn't as high as yours.

Fermenting: ESB

Drinking: Feelin' Witty(DH w/ Citra)

Watts Brewing Blog

Old 11-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #16
Rossnaree
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Same stuff they're combining with a stout to make "Bitches Brew" on Brewmaster's.

Some knowledge will never be shared, not from a desire to conceal it, but because it is so common to the individual that it is assumed to be already known.

Primary: Chardonel
Secondary: Apfelwein, Chambourcin, Blackstone Pond American Ale, King of the North, Concord, 2nd wine from pulp of both
Bottled: Bavarian Hefeweizen, Dortmunder, King of the North (2010), Apfelwein (2010), Lesser Wilderness Mead (2010), King of the North (2nd wine - 2010)

Old 11-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #17
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossnaree View Post
Same stuff they're combining with a stout to make "Bitches Brew" on Brewmaster's.
Yes it is.....I posted some info on where to find gesho, in the main Brewmaster's discussion thread.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-23-2010, 11:55 AM   #18
Rossnaree
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sorry Revvy, I haven't read anything in that thread yet. I would've posted a link to it instead if I had.

Now off to read the Brewmaster's thread.

Some knowledge will never be shared, not from a desire to conceal it, but because it is so common to the individual that it is assumed to be already known.

Primary: Chardonel
Secondary: Apfelwein, Chambourcin, Blackstone Pond American Ale, King of the North, Concord, 2nd wine from pulp of both
Bottled: Bavarian Hefeweizen, Dortmunder, King of the North (2010), Apfelwein (2010), Lesser Wilderness Mead (2010), King of the North (2nd wine - 2010)

Quick Reply