Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Raspberry Melamel (Bronze Medal winner at 2010 Great Arizona Homebrew Competition)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #81
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun4stuff View Post
How'd it taste? I liked mine at 1.000 SG, but the citrus was a little overpowering. The limes I used were really big. The citrus taste was better after sweetening (aside from the sulfite taste). I am also debating adding some raspberries and letting them sit on raspberries for a few weeks. They're out of season now though...
Honestly, I have no idea yet as I haven't done anything with it yet and it's still bulk aging. I tasted it at about 4 months old and it was very hot so I decided to leave it alone until it was a year old.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #82
AZ_IPA
PKU
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6136 Times on 5345 Posts
Likes Given: 749

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun4stuff View Post
How'd it taste? I liked mine at 1.000 SG, but the citrus was a little overpowering. The limes I used were really big. The citrus taste was better after sweetening (aside from the sulfite taste). I am also debating adding some raspberries and letting them sit on raspberries for a few weeks. They're out of season now though...
Yeah, fruit size is important. I made the mistakes of using juice from the bottle instead of the juice from the fruit on my last batch. But, back sweetened to 1.010 and aged, it won't be too bad.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #83
fun4stuff
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Bottled today. Cleared after adding the "super kleer kc" finings. Tastes very good.... ready to drink now. I don't think this will last long. Sulfite taste is gone. The citrus taste seems to have mellowed after backsweetening. I may try force carbonating it....

Old 02-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #84
Rahahb
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Couple of questions. Some here have been going drier than I want with this. Should I use another yeast, or just let it go and backsweeten? I've only made a couple of meads so this is still new to me.

Also, if I bulk age it and it takes a year to clear, will there be enough yeast in suspension to carb? And does bottle carbed mead have a little lees on the bottom? If so, what are your thoughts on carbtabs for this mead?

Old 02-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #85
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahahb View Post
Couple of questions. Some here have been going drier than I want with this. Should I use another yeast, or just let it go and backsweeten? I've only made a couple of meads so this is still new to me.

Also, if I bulk age it and it takes a year to clear, will there be enough yeast in suspension to carb? And does bottle carbed mead have a little lees on the bottom? If so, what are your thoughts on carbtabs for this mead?
If it finishes dry and you backsweeten, you won't be able to carb without kegging (campden and potassium sorbate inhibit future yeast activity).

Bottled carbed mead will have some lees, whether you use pruning sugar or carb tabs (which are basically pre measured priming sugar).

I keep meaning to experiment with bottle carbing with dry ice, so you could have a sparkling, back sweetened mead, but I'm not that brave.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #86
lpsumo
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just to be clear, when you say bottle with 3oz. dextrose, that's to backsweeten it, not carb it, right? And that's 3oz per 3 gallon, not per bottle right?

Old 02-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #87
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpsumo View Post
Just to be clear, when you say bottle with 3oz. dextrose, that's to backsweeten it, not carb it, right? And that's 3oz per 3 gallon, not per bottle right?
3oz per 3 gallons to carbonate it.

If it finishes too dry for your tastes, and you use campden/sorbate to inhibit yeast so you can backsweeten, you won't be able to bottle carb it.

Backsweetening is best done with honey, and the amount depends on what gravity it finished at and what gravity you want to get it back to.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:20 AM   #88
Partisan
Recipes 

I got a jar with raspberries in syrup (water & sugar), and it says it doesn´t contains any preservative.. can I make this recipe with those? It weights 750gr (26,45oz) & 400gr drained (14,2oz).

If i can make this recipe with those raspberries, do i have to wash it first or use it with the syrup too? I think it would be a good idea to drain it first and save the syrup in the freezer to add it to the second, or third or to back-sweeten or for carbonate, any thoughts?

I live in Argentina and raspberries are really expensives and in the town i live are very difficult to get it fresh.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #89
NHowell16
Recipes 

Hi All!

So, it's been about a year since starting this batch. I'm ready to bottle now, but theres this strange white stuff along the top rim of the mead. It's kind of like little granules... For the longest time, there was a very small amount of berry residue from transferring it from the primary carboy, but that seems to have settled... now theres this white stuff.

I want to know - is this ok to bottle? What is the white stuff, and does it mean my mead has gone bad? I'm worried that the airlock may have been too low on water for a little while.. but not too long. Could it have gotten contaminated?

Thoughts? I really want this to turn out, but I don't want to kill anyone!

Thanks for your help,

Nicole

photo.jpg  
Poor Man's Cyser

Old 08-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #90
shaky1980
Recipes 

Can anyone tell me if these are blackthorn bushes

Attachment 141726

Photo not the best any advice grateful