Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Raspberry Melamel (Bronze Medal winner at 2010 Great Arizona Homebrew Competition)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #61
rideincircles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Is there any other options than D47 to make this? I can usually keep my beer in the range 70 and below in a water bath, but occasionally it gets to 72 degrees when I am gone all day at school and work. Can D47 cross above 70° at any point after primary fermentation or does it need to stay below 70° until bottled? I am holding off on this until I understand it better.

Started brewing February 2012:
All grain and partial mash brewer depending on time. Meads and apfelwein also.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #62
Wayneh
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Started a bath of this recipe last night. Seems yummy. Hope it turns out because I've brewed about six batches of mead and haven't liked any of them. Check out hymiesbrew on YouTube

Wayne

Old 09-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #63
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6035 Times on 5280 Posts
Likes Given: 688

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideincircles View Post
Is there any other options than D47 to make this? I can usually keep my beer in the range 70 and below in a water bath, but occasionally it gets to 72 degrees when I am gone all day at school and work. Can D47 cross above 70° at any point after primary fermentation or does it need to stay below 70° until bottled? I am holding off on this until I understand it better.
71B-1122 wouldn't be a bad option. Once fermentation is done, temperature isn't as much of a concern during bulk aging.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #64
fun4stuff
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Day 21: SG 1.000. Dark red, opaque. Strong citrus after taste.

This should clear on it's own over the next few months, right? Should I add pectinase and/or a clearing agent?

Old 10-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #65
TheManchesterMorgue
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun4stuff View Post
Day 21: SG 1.000. Dark red, opaque. Strong citrus after taste.

This should clear on it's own over the next few months, right? Should I add pectinase and/or a clearing agent?
About to start a batch of this myself but price of honey makes me really paranoid about messing it up. How did yours work out? Did you need the pectinase?

Old 10-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #66
fun4stuff
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManchesterMorgue View Post
About to start a batch of this myself but price of honey makes me really paranoid about messing it up. How did yours work out? Did you need the pectinase?
Day 42 now. Last SG was 1.0 a few weeks ago... tasted great then (although maybe too much citrus aftertaste)! Still bulk aging for now. It has cleared a little with some accumulated lees since this photo... but not much. Still a long ways from being able to read a newspaper through it.

I was thinking about adding pectinase and/or other clearing agent (bentonite, sparkaloid) in early november if there hasn't been much improvement. I would like to stabilize with potassium sorbate and sulfite in late nov or early december... as well as back-sweeten just a little bit. The last mead i made was too sweet. What are others thoughts on this plan?

I wanted to drink a bottle or 2 for xmas/new years! I don't mind if mead is a little "hot" tasting...

Old 10-14-2012, 11:35 PM   #67
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

I wouldn't backsweeten past 1.010 unless you like sweet. The raspberry and lemon/lime add some perceived sweetness.

I don't think pectin enzyme works post-fermemtation, but sparkolloid should work if you get impatient.

Hope it clears for you by the holidays!

Old 10-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #68
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Hey. I'm in AZ too. Where do you get your honey and cider from? Do you belong to ASH?

Old 10-19-2012, 11:46 PM   #69
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

I've been getting my honey from Miller's in California. Price per pound shipped is actually extremely competitive for quality honey.

There's a bee keeper in Flagstaff that supplies many of the AZ LHBS with honey, but I haven't got ahold of him to see what his bulk price is.

I belong to ASH but don't go to many club functions.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:19 AM   #70
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Cool. Thinking about joining ASH. Do you get cider or juice from anywhere local?

Quick Reply