Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Raspberry Melamel (Bronze Medal winner at 2010 Great Arizona Homebrew Competition)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2012, 05:26 AM   #51
NHowell16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

It's been over a year since the last post, but hopefully someone is still around to answer a quick question!

My apartment is often too hot for me to use the D47 yeast ... Normally between 20-25 degrees (70+ Fahrenheit). Can I use a different yeast and get the same flavour? What do you recommend?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #52
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHowell16 View Post
It's been over a year since the last post, but hopefully someone is still around to answer a quick question!

My apartment is often too hot for me to use the D47 yeast ... Normally between 20-25 degrees (70+ Fahrenheit). Can I use a different yeast and get the same flavour? What do you recommend?

Thanks!
If I remember right, D47 likes fermentation temps between 60-68F. If you don't have an area at that temp, or a ferm chamber, can you setup a swamp cooler for primary fermentation?

I too have issues with ambient temps for primary fermentation and use the carboy in a water with ice bottles swamp cooler method. Once it's hit FG and it stable I put it in the coolest place in the house and bulk age at ambient.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #53
NHowell16
Recipes 

I ended up using EC-1118, just because I'm not able to keep the temp low enough. Except, I'm not sure if i messed it up or not.. because it's day 2 and nothing seems to be happening.

Here's what I did (variation from the original recipe)

6.6 lbs of clover honey (3 kgs)
3 gallons of water
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 thawed bag of mixed field berries (600g)
juice of 3 lemons, and 3 limes

I mixed it all up together, then rehydrated the yeast, then pitched it... except, i used the wrong bung size, and pushed the bung into the carboy! Oops...

So I had to dump the entire contents into another carboy, which really agitated the entire mixture. My question is: Do you think this ruined the fermentation??? It's day 2, and there is a thin layer of foam on top, but NO bubbles or action in the airlock. Help!

Poor Man's Cyser

Old 09-03-2012, 02:53 AM   #54
johnfrankl
Recipes 

Great thread!!!

Any problem with doing the primary in a bucket and then racking to a carboy once the berries lose their color?

Thanks.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:02 AM   #55
fun4stuff
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrankl View Post
Great thread!!!

Any problem with doing the primary in a bucket and then racking to a carboy once the berries lose their color?

Thanks.
im trying in a bucket now! on day 3.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:09 AM   #56
Jukas
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHowell16
I ended up using EC-1118, just because I'm not able to keep the temp low enough. Except, I'm not sure if i messed it up or not.. because it's day 2 and nothing seems to be happening.

Here's what I did (variation from the original recipe)

6.6 lbs of clover honey (3 kgs)
3 gallons of water
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 thawed bag of mixed field berries (600g)
juice of 3 lemons, and 3 limes

I mixed it all up together, then rehydrated the yeast, then pitched it... except, i used the wrong bung size, and pushed the bung into the carboy! Oops...

So I had to dump the entire contents into another carboy, which really agitated the entire mixture. My question is: Do you think this ruined the fermentation??? It's day 2, and there is a thin layer of foam on top, but NO bubbles or action in the airlock. Help!
I doubt it ruined anything. My batch fermented very gently with a barely visible krausen and still finished at .999. You should be able to see some visible sign of fermentation by 72hrs.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #57
fun4stuff
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

So I started a 5 gallon version of this recipe 9/2 with an OG of 1.100. Adjusted honey/raspberies/lemons/limes proportionately and followed Highest nutrient addition.... fermented in bucket, aerating 1x per day for the first 2 days until the SG fell below 1.06. Otherwise everything else the same.

Yesterday, 9/7, SG was 1.014, and today the airlock is not bubbling! Doesn't this seem like an extremely fast fermentation? Leaving for 1 week vacation next Friday... is it safe to let everything sit under airlock in the bucket until I get back?

Old 09-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #58
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 5988 Times on 5254 Posts
Likes Given: 674

Proper nutrients + aeration + degassing = fast fermentation!

It should be fine to let it sit while you're gone.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #59
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I am thinking about making a 3 gallon batch of this this weekend. How does aeration an degassing work with a 3 gallon carboy glass carboy? This will be my first true mead. I have 2 gallons of JAOM and 2 gallons of Joe's pyment also.

Would going with 6 lbs. Orange Blossom honey and 1.5 clover make a big difference or should I just do 7.5 lbs clover and save my orange blossom for something else?

How well controlled does fermentation temps need to be? I just use water bath with ice bottles which maintains around 65-70 most of the time. My ambient house temps measure 72-77 on my carboys. Does it need a constant temperature throughout the entire fermentation or just primary? Would want to let sit at normal house temps after a racking or two if possible. The water bath eats up so much space.

Rookie questions for this batch, I just ordered the compleat meadmaker today.

Started brewing February 2012:
All grain and partial mash brewer depending on time. Meads and apfelwein also.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #60
calcnerd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox View Post
How would you describe the finished product and how long do you have to age it? Never had a melamel. I'm a cider guy. Deciding if I want to try this or joam.
I've had this aging since April. I tried one fresh and WOW...it's extremely hot. Almost undrinkable. I'm letting this sit at LEAST a year before I dip into it again.

Quick Reply