Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Raspberry Melamel (Bronze Medal winner at 2010 Great Arizona Homebrew Competition)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5967 Times on 5241 Posts
Likes Given: 669

Default Raspberry Melomel (Bronze Medal winner at 2010 Great Arizona Homebrew Competition)

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: D47
Yeast Starter: no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: no
Batch Size (Gallons): 3
Original Gravity: 1.105
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: N/A
Boiling Time (Minutes): 1
Color: Pink
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14
Additional Fermentation: 120
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 60
Tasting Notes: great raspberry up front, massive raspberry nose, good honey to fruit flavor balance

This scored a 43 at the 2010 Great Arizona Homebrew Competition

7.5 lbs clover honey
24 oz. fresh raspberries
4 lemons, juice of
4 limes, juice of
1/2 cup brewed earl grey tea
Lavlin D47 yeast
staggered nutrient addition (see hightest's FAQs)

Mix everything together in a 3-gallon carboy. Top off with spring water to 3 gallons. Ferment until fruit loses color; rack off of fruit and top off with water; rack when fermentation is complete; rack as needed until clear; bottle with 3 oz. dextrose and age for 1 year

Boquet/Aroma: "good lite honey aroma, massive raspberry nose" "great raspberry up front, slight honey"

Appearance: "perfect color (pink!), clarity, & carbonation" "pink bubbly! lots of carbonation, great clarity, some legs"

Flavor: "good honey to fruit flavor balance. nicely warming alcohol. carbonation great." "good berry flavor, more dry than sweet, very carbonated"

Overall: "very nice mead. I'd like to have a case stashed away! great job!" "this would be a great celebration bubbly - very much like a fruity champagne. thank you!"

Old 07-23-2010, 11:40 PM   #2
esarkipato
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nice work. Was your FG measured after priming sugar? How did you manage to get your yeast to peter out, but still carb?

"Whiskey’s for drinking, water’s for fighting over" - Samuel Clemens (maybe)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2010, 11:51 PM   #3
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

sweetness!

On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Old 08-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
Pivovar_Koucky
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Wow, I make a very similar raspberry cyser (actually I don't know what to call it, its 1/2 gallon of apple juice, 3-4 lbs of honey, 12 oz. frozen raspberries, and about a quart of earl grey tea, total 1 gallon). I can't believe that someone else uses earl grey tea.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarkipato View Post
Nice work. Was your FG measured after priming sugar? How did you manage to get your yeast to peter out, but still carb?
I honestly think I just got lucky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
sweetness!
how's yours coming along humann?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pivovar_Koucky View Post
Wow, I make a very similar raspberry cyser (actually I don't know what to call it, its 1/2 gallon of apple juice, 3-4 lbs of honey, 12 oz. frozen raspberries, and about a quart of earl grey tea, total 1 gallon). I can't believe that someone else uses earl grey tea.
a quart of tea in a one gallon batch? how many tea bags? let me know how that works out.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
Pivovar_Koucky
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
a quart of tea in a one gallon batch? how many tea bags? let me know how that works out.
2 bags, it turned out pretty well last time. The gravity was 1.128 so its not like it's watered down or anything, just a hint of bitterness and aroma fromt he tea. I'll let you know when the current batch is done, though I just started it last night so it will probably be at least a month.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #7
rowingbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I hope this is as good as you all make it out to be, cause I am going to be making a 5 gallon batch very soon.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:39 AM   #8
bull3tmagn3t
Recipes 

Hey there AZ_IPA. Thanks for the recipe. I just started a batch this Friday, and unlike when I made a JOAM batch, this one seems to be off to a slow start. When you started with yours, did you notice your yeast getting off to a quick start or was it a slower, gradual process?

Old 08-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #9
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3tmagn3t View Post
Hey there AZ_IPA. Thanks for the recipe. I just started a batch this Friday, and unlike when I made a JOAM batch, this one seems to be off to a slow start. When you started with yours, did you notice your yeast getting off to a quick start or was it a slower, gradual process?
It did start off really slow. I think it's because with JOAM, you're using bread yeast which probably takes off a little quicker.

Give it time, and if you think you're stuck, hit it with some nutrient (but watch out for foam over!)

Old 08-23-2010, 07:36 PM   #10
bull3tmagn3t
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
It did start off really slow. I think it's because with JOAM, you're using bread yeast which probably takes off a little quicker.

Give it time, and if you think you're stuck, hit it with some nutrient (but watch out for foam over!)
When I made my JOAM I used EC-1118 and it took off at a blistering pace. I'll let this one go since the yeast groups appear to be growing, and they're giving off CO2. It's just nowhere near as fast as the JOAM recipe did.

Quick Reply