Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > raspberry mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009, 12:59 AM   #1
electric_beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default raspberry mead

I've had a raspberry mead going for about a month and half now. It smells pretty damn tasty. I've read a lot of threads that include tea in them. I didn't put any tea in my current batch (however I did use lemon). Is it something I can add to the secondary or would it be better to just leave it out since its already been going for a while?

I'm always a bit worried about late additions. Sorry for the n00b post as I usually just brew beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
Dos_Locos_Brewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The reason for putting tea in fruit wines is to make up for tannins that come from the skins in grape wines. With raspberries, it seems to me that you extract a fair amount of tannins from the seeds. With some other fruits, sometimes I use a little grape tannin, but for raspberry, I'd skip it (as well as tea...). Even more so, since it's a mead and you want the honey flavors to come out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply