Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Pumpkin Pie Mead (fermented in a pumpkin)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #41
springmom
Texan, by golly. Grandma by the grace of God.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiessenace
Hey. Does anyone use acid blend? I am totally new to the game of mead. Just wondering because i heard from the local brewing store that acid blend is required.
I did, yes. The OP did not.

You will need to back sweeten this. I added some Sparkalloid today to mine and took the opportunity to taste test. Let's just say it's dry.... When I rack it again in a couple of weeks I will back sweeten and leave it sit and mellow. Right now the spice taste will take your head off :-D. All by way of saying, it has a whole lot of sweetness in it total by the end. Without the acid blend I'm not sure it'd taste like wine, as you expect some acidity from a glass of wine.

Considering: Sparkling raspberry wine, carrot wine

In Primary: Ed's Apfelwein; Raspberry Puree Apple Cider

In Secondary: Pumpkin Pie Mead; Traditional Mead; Dried Elderberry Wine; Blueberry Wine; Texas Persimmon wine; White grape/peach wine; Texas Twang; Hi, Biscus! Metheglyn; A Maize-ing Wine

So far, so good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 12:17 AM   #42
kyled
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

How did you estimate capacity based on your pumpkin size? I wanna make approximately 5 gallons based on my fermenting bucket.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:41 AM   #43
springmom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I can't quite imagine a pumpkin that would hold 5 gallons unless you grow one of those giant pumpkins. Mine was a nice big jack o lantern size and held one gallon just right.

In Secondary: Pumpkin Pie Mead; Traditional Mead; Dried Elderberry Wine; Blueberry Wine; Texas Persimmon wine; White grape/peach wine; Texas Twang; Hi, Biscus! Metheglyn; A Maize-ing Wine

So far, so good.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:23 AM   #44
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Way to awesome of an idea.
I would have been worried about mold or other infections but I've got to give this a try.

I picked up some local honey last weekend for beer, but I may have to stop and pick up three or four more pounds this weekend and try this!

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 10-24-2012, 04:40 AM   #45
springmom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just be sure all your utensils are sterile, including the ones you cut and scrape the pumpkin with. And if you have any RealLemon around the house, try wetting the cut surface and the cap with it. Might hold off mold a few extra days. And of course siphon the mead out when it's time to go to the carboy so as to avoid the mold that will inevitably grow on those surfaces eventually. Have fun!

So far, so good.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:11 AM   #46
kyled
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by springmom
Just be sure all your utensils are sterile, including the ones you cut and scrape the pumpkin with. And if you have any RealLemon around the house, try wetting the cut surface and the cap with it. Might hold off mold a few extra days. And of course siphon the mead out when it's time to go to the carboy so as to avoid the mold that will inevitably grow on those surfaces eventually. Have fun!
I didn't even think about the carving tools, thanks

Old 10-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #47
LovelessAndroid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I JUST pitched my yeast on a 2.5 gallon batch last night. Believe it or not, the pumpkin held almost 2.75 gallons, so it was perfect! Also picked up a nice 3-gallon glass carboy for secondary while I was at the store too. I'm planning on having this ready for Christmas 2013 at the earliest, with a few bottles headed to my dad's wine cellar over the next few years. I have pics of the process so far, and I plan to keep them for future's sake when opening the bottles each year.

Interesting development though. They were out of Sweat Mead yeast, and so I explained to the guy that I was shooting for a dry mead with about 12% ABV based on my starting OG of 1.092. He said that a simple Ale yeast was taken up to 17% by a local brewer who did a barleywine, and would be good for bringing out the honey and spice flavors while cutting down the sweetness. I was sold, so I pitched the Ale yeast last night. I will let you know how it tastes when I rack it in a week or so.

Questions: I pitched it last night and left for work. I didn't agitate it this morning after stirring it up last night. However, it was definitely starting to gather on the top in colonies even though there wasn't any foam. Should I go home at lunch to stir? Or can I wait until the end of the day and make sure to stir then? I didn't realize how you needed to agitate mead for the first 24-36 hours.
Also, I didn't add ANY yeast nutrient. I didn't totally scrape the pumpkin clean and left a bit of guts attached to the sides, but took all the seeds out. I assume there should be enough nutrient in the pumpkin to get it going, but it still worries me of course. It's my first batch, so I need advice. Should I add something else to get it going, or am I okay with nutrients because its in a damn pumpkin.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #48
springmom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sweat Mead? Ewwwwww :-D

You certainly can wait until you get home. As for yeast nutrient, it won't hurt but I know zilch about the yeast you used. I'd call my supplier and ask him, or other folks on here who are beer and ale brewers can help.

Relax and enjoy this. It's great fun just to use a pumpkin as a primary :-D

So far, so good.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #49
thebigred67
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelessAndroid View Post
I JUST pitched my yeast on a 2.5 gallon batch last night. Believe it or not, the pumpkin held almost 2.75 gallons, so it was perfect! Also picked up a nice 3-gallon glass carboy for secondary while I was at the store too. I'm planning on having this ready for Christmas 2013 at the earliest, with a few bottles headed to my dad's wine cellar over the next few years. I have pics of the process so far, and I plan to keep them for future's sake when opening the bottles each year.

Interesting development though. They were out of Sweat Mead yeast, and so I explained to the guy that I was shooting for a dry mead with about 12% ABV based on my starting OG of 1.092. He said that a simple Ale yeast was taken up to 17% by a local brewer who did a barleywine, and would be good for bringing out the honey and spice flavors while cutting down the sweetness. I was sold, so I pitched the Ale yeast last night. I will let you know how it tastes when I rack it in a week or so.

Questions: I pitched it last night and left for work. I didn't agitate it this morning after stirring it up last night. However, it was definitely starting to gather on the top in colonies even though there wasn't any foam. Should I go home at lunch to stir? Or can I wait until the end of the day and make sure to stir then? I didn't realize how you needed to agitate mead for the first 24-36 hours.
Also, I didn't add ANY yeast nutrient. I didn't totally scrape the pumpkin clean and left a bit of guts attached to the sides, but took all the seeds out. I assume there should be enough nutrient in the pumpkin to get it going, but it still worries me of course. It's my first batch, so I need advice. Should I add something else to get it going, or am I okay with nutrients because its in a damn pumpkin.
Just chill and see what happens.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #50
mrdillon5
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelessAndroid

That has got to be one HUGE pumpkin!

Quick Reply