Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Oaked cherry melomel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2013, 02:43 AM   #11
Bigbeavk
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I started mine in a 6.5 gal carboy with 18lbs of honey and 8lbs of frozen cherries. Racked it to a 5 gal carboy and added 8lbs of cherries again. I also made a gallon on traditional mead to top off with. After that I racked it again and topped of with the traditional mead, stabilized and added 2 med toast oak spirals. It is really drinkable now but I'm going to give it some time and drink them later this summer reserving a few for long term aging to see how it develops.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 03:58 AM   #12
cujo-99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I've got a batch of cherry that I just squeezed the fruit after three weeks in the primary. I thought I saw a recipe that added bananas to the secondary, but I cannot find it now. Have you ever heard of using these two together, or am I confusing two different recipes?

Old 04-09-2013, 04:29 AM   #13
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 6271 Times on 5442 Posts
Likes Given: 817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynate65 View Post
Did you fill to 3 gallons in primary then add the cherries, or did you add all ingredients then fill to 3 gallons? Also, for a 6 gallon recipe would you use 18 lbs of honey (3 lbs./gal.) or 13.5 lbs. of honey (9 lbs. + 50%)?
Add the honey and cherries, then top to just below 3 gallons.

Bigbeavk's advice below is good for larger batches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbeavk View Post
I started mine in a 6.5 gal carboy with 18lbs of honey and 8lbs of frozen cherries. Racked it to a 5 gal carboy and added 8lbs of cherries again. I also made a gallon on traditional mead to top off with. After that I racked it again and topped of with the traditional mead, stabilized and added 2 med toast oak spirals. It is really drinkable now but I'm going to give it some time and drink them later this summer reserving a few for long term aging to see how it develops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo-99 View Post
I've got a batch of cherry that I just squeezed the fruit after three weeks in the primary. I thought I saw a recipe that added bananas to the secondary, but I cannot find it now. Have you ever heard of using these two together, or am I confusing two different recipes?
I haven't used bananas for mead. Sorry I can't help, but welcome to HBT.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:01 AM   #14
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2689 Times on 2087 Posts
Likes Given: 339

I'm going to make this probably next weekend with the glut of cherries I've been having. I'm going to go for a 5 gallon batch though, and probably use about 20 lbs of cherries total. That should work right?

Old 06-04-2013, 11:29 PM   #15
Bigbeavk
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Sure it will, just freeze them for a bit and mash them up a little. Keep in mind though that the cherries take up a lot of room so you will yield less mead. When I used 16lbs total I had to top it off with a whole gallon of traditional mead. It is an awesome recipe as it is. Go for it you won't be sorry either way.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #16
Hasher76
Recipes 

Fermentation just started really going on mine 6/23 (pitched on 6/20). Only made a 1gal batch as I'm still learning my Mead making skills, but its going strong.
I used dark cherries for mine.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:19 AM   #17
Lungus
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo-99 View Post
That was the Strawberry Cabana Mead and the mead was racked onto the banana in the secondary because apparently it imparts the banana flavour better.

Quick Reply