||05-20-2008 09:10 AM
Nerro's Ancient Orange Mead
Kitzinger Reinhefe "Sherry"
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter:
Batch Size (liters):
4 (1.056 gallons)
Boiling Time (Minutes):
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):
68F (20C) (28 days)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):
no secondary used
intended to condition and ripen for 6 months or upward
- 1200g flower honey
- 1 orange (only the zest and the strained juice)
- 2 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- ~30 sultanas
- Kitzinger Reinhefe "sherry" (yeast)
- Take the zest of the orange and its juice and strain the juice to remove the bits of pulp. You should have the clear juice and the zest only. The rest of the orange is discarded.
- Add 2 cloves
- add 2 sticks of cinnamon
- Add a small handful of sultanas (~30)
- Add a hefty teaspoon of DAP
- Add 1200g of honey (1200g = ~42.3 ounces or 2.65 lbs)
- Add enough water to make 4L (1.056 gallons)
- Heat to boiling and keep it at a slow rolling boil for 5 minutes. Do not remove the scum because you will also remove the ingredients when you do.
- leave the must to cool down on it's own with a lid on it for half an hour. This serves to infuse the must with the flavours of the spices and the orange.
- Chill the must in the pan in a big tub of cold water to ~70 degrees Fahrenheit.
- pitch the yeast and stir well once the yeast has hydrated.
- put the must into the carboy through a strainer and shake it like it's a baby girl after you already painted the baby's room blue and you already bought your son-to-be a gun and a football harness.
- stopper with an airlock and leave it alone for the next month.
- After a month it should be flat and the hydrometer should show you a steady value somewhere just below 1.000. This means you can bottle it.
- Leave it to condition for ~6 months.
This is basically a drier version of JAOM and MAOM with a slightly more refined touch to it. No bread yeast but sherry yeast and more of the spices. The amounts are slightly different because they have been converted to metric as much as possible.
I hope you like it :)
|All times are GMT. The time now is 07:03 AM.
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.