Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Malkore's (not so) Ancient Orange Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #141
SirVilhelm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I started my first ever mead on 4/20. My first time brewing anything in fact. So now its three days later and it is still bubbling but starting to slow. I added the yeast energizer and nutrition according to the packed when I bottled to the must. I am noticing a slow down in the bubbling, the surface of the must was completely covered in bubbles on the 21st and by the evening of the 22nd the surface was almost glass.

So my questions is, is this normal? Should I add anything? Rains? More nutrient? Or just let it sit and be patient?

I just want to make sure I am doing it right

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #142
Jaunte
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sielm View Post

To get on-topic, my 1 week old fermenting mead is still bubbling like crazy, even faster than before, about 1 bubble per second. Temperatures around here have risen a bit, and now the mead is fermenting at around 72ºF (22-23ºC), maybe this temp change has something to do with the increased activity.

I would love to get a sparkling mead, is it factible to prime this mead and get it sparkling? I intend to bottle it using swing-top grolsch style bottles, which work really well with beer. Would it be better to bottle the mead directly or maybe add some sugar for priming?
Some yeast prefer a higher temperature for optimal fermentation. It depends on the strain you are using. Do you have the company information on the yeast? I have also read that higher temperatures can cause the yeast to stress out and produce higher alcohols. Those alcohols contribute to the "rocket fuel" taste that require time to age out.

Some websites have yeast fact sheets that give all sorts of rich information about the yeast.

I have never primed a mead for bottle carbonating, so I can't speak from any sort of experience. I do know that you can't produce a sweet carbonated mead. The mead has to be dry for priming and bottling. The idea is that you clarify the mead, prime it, and then bottle it for aging. You can try searching other websites for calculators on how much sugar/dextrose to add.

This recipe is carbonated. I think I remember reading how much dextrose was added for carbonating too.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/raspberry-melamel-bronze-medal-winner-2010-great-arizona-homebrew-competition-183027/
Old 04-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #143
Jaunte
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirVilhelm View Post
I started my first ever mead on 4/20. My first time brewing anything in fact. So now its three days later and it is still bubbling but starting to slow. I added the yeast energizer and nutrition according to the packed when I bottled to the must. I am noticing a slow down in the bubbling, the surface of the must was completely covered in bubbles on the 21st and by the evening of the 22nd the surface was almost glass.

So my questions is, is this normal? Should I add anything? Rains? More nutrient? Or just let it sit and be patient?

I just want to make sure I am doing it right
If it is already slowing down, then you might be past your 50% fermentation mark; therefore, the yeast will probably not benefit from the addition of more nutrients.

To accurately understand what is happening, more information is required.
How big is your batch?
How many pounds of honey did you use?
What yeast did you use?

Many of my meads ferment from vigorous airlock activity to almost nothing in 3-5 days. Sometimes longer.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #144
SirVilhelm
Recipes 

Please let me know if my thought process is wrong

I am making a 3 gallon batch using Lalvin D-47. I used the calculator here http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=745&Item id=16

And used a target gravity 14% and target volume of 3 gallons. It spit out 8.9lbs of honey so that's what I used.

Is this reliable?

Old 04-24-2013, 03:19 AM   #145
SirVilhelm
Recipes 

Quick update. I did a quick gravity test, I started at 1.120 and today I am at 1.109. I get a bubble in the airlock every 5~7 seconds. Am I on the right track?

Old 04-24-2013, 04:41 AM   #146
Jaunte
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh. Are you sure it read 1.109 and not 1.019 or 1.009?
Based on your experience, your mead should have fermented much more.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #147
johngottshall
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I made a batch of Joan taste like Gewertzimeiner is this about right for the flavor??

Old 06-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #148
Draffish
Recipes 

hi all just made my first mead took an og reading says 1.070 i think i messed up not converting from us gallons to uk so looks like its going to be on the dry to medium side (shame i was hoping for medium to sweet) does anybody know if this thing gets explosive in the first few days as i only left an inch gap at top of my demi jars (2x 1 gallons).
thanks for any help and also to malkore and jo for getting this reciepe together
draff

Old 07-25-2013, 01:07 AM   #149
pgrevie
Recipes 

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I just picked up what I think I need to make some Mead. This will be my first batch, so I'm hoping for the best.
I want to make 3 gallons. I'm thinking I'll start with a little more than 3g, so that I end up with 3g in secondary. I have a little over 8 lbs of Orange Blossom Honey. Not all of it will be used. My plan is to use 2 cinnamon sticks and a clove along with the zest of 3 oranges to make a tea. I plan to strain and add the tea to primary with the honey, juice from 3 oranges and possibly raisins.
I will be using FermaidK and Yeast Energizer. I am planning to add 1/4 tsp of Fermaid and 1/2 tsp Energizer just before I pitch yeast. I then plan on adding 1/4 tsp of Energizer each day over the first 5 days along with degassing. I'm going to use 71B yeast. Primary will be in a fermentation bucket for 7-10 days then I'll rack to glass. I'm looking for an orange flavor with some spice. I want the final product to be sweet, but not a dessert wine. Probably along the lines of a sweet white zin or gewürztraminer.
Would adding the zest from an orange and cinnamon stick to secondary be to much? I would appreciate any suggestions or input. Thanks, Pete

Old 07-26-2013, 04:43 AM   #150
dapete
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Sounds good. I'll give this a try for my first mead.

Quick Reply