Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Malkore's (not so) Ancient Orange Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011, 01:12 AM   #101
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A little under three weeks later, and I just did my last nutrient addition. Gravity today was 1.055.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 06:59 PM   #102
huesmann
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just did a combo of JAOM and MAOM on Monday. I used 3.5 lb of honey (2.5 lb clover, 1 lb mesquite), an orange, a clove, Hodgson Mill bakers yeast, and a cinnamon stick, and 1 g of Fermaid K.

I zested the orange using a vegetable peeler, so I ended up with one long coil of zest. (I make limoncello, which involves zesting citrus fruits without taking the white pith, so I'm pretty skilled at it by now.) I sliced the naked orange in half and used my citrus squeezer to juice each half into the must. Dumped the honey into my gallon jar, added some warm water to help it dissolve, shook it up to dissolve, and added all the other stuff. Pitched the yeast using the directions on the packet, dumped it in, screwed the cap on the jar, and jammed a bung and airlock on top. Started bubbling within an hour or so.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:54 PM   #103
25Chuck
Recipes 

Greetings! This is my first post and first batch of mead.

I made the batch yesterday but because I have the curse of tinkering, I didn't follow the recipe exactly and now I'm a bit worried and I have a few questions.

I only changed a few things,
1) I split the batch into two one gallon carboys so I could try two different types of yeast. In one carboy I pitched Wyeast's sweet mead and in the other I pitched Wyeast's dry mead.
2) I didn't have any yeast nutrients so I added juice but not zest from a second orange. I also added a few raisins into the carboys. In my rudimentary understanding, this should give the yeast something to snack on in lieu of yeast nutrients or am I totally off base?

I ended up with an OG of 1.106 and I read somewhere that standard mead should have an OG between 1.080 and 1.120, so I should be good there right?

My only other concern is that it has been 12 hours and I still don't see any activity in the airlock. Now I know the airlock isn't always a good indicator of fermentation but the few beer brews I've done always had airlock activity shortly after pitching. Is this behavior normal for mead?

Thanks in advance for entertaining this worried newbies questions.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #104
huesmann
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think the wine yeasts start slowly to begin with (compared to, say, bread yeast), and I've heard that the mead-specific yeasts are pretty finicky.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:41 PM   #105
Mia
Recipes 

Default sweet??

I'm interested in trying a batch but wondered if anyone had suggestions to cut down on the sweetness? Yes, I know it's mead but am not crazy but overly sweet drinks. If I cut back on the honey and increase the fruits will it effect the sugars available for fermentation?
Thanks in advance!
Mia

Old 12-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #106
sharpstick
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i've cut back on the honey and had good results.(with the original joe recipe. i think i used about 15 lbs instead of 17 on a 5 gallon batch) i've also replaced the oranges with red raspberries, added cranberries and cayenne to counter the sweetness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia View Post
I'm interested in trying a batch but wondered if anyone had suggestions to cut down on the sweetness? Yes, I know it's mead but am not crazy but overly sweet drinks. If I cut back on the honey and increase the fruits will it effect the sugars available for fermentation?
Thanks in advance!
Mia

Old 12-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #107
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Thanks in advance!
Mia
You also have to make sure you've actually fully attenuated. What was the OG, and FG? What yeast was used?

Looking at the posts in my thread, it looks like many people are still unfamiliar with early staggered nutrients, CO2 removal for teh first 7 days, and pitching plenty of HYDRATED yeast.

Mead yeast isn't finicky...mead must is just a poor nutrient for them, hence the staggered additions.

Being down to 1.055 after 3 weeks is a slow fermentation and I'd wager the yeasts are throwing many off flavors that will have to age out. I've tasted meads that are only 4 weeks old (from pitching) and they're smooth and not overly sweet.

Main point: there's a TON of variables you need to consider when tweaking your recipe. Less honey also means less body, which can leave a mead thin and watery.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 12-11-2011, 03:28 AM   #108
Cambone
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

MAOM was my first mead, and this is how i went for me:

2 Months - This is terrible; did I waste my time?

6 Months - Less Terrible, but I still can't drink this. Glad I only made a gallon.

9 Months - This is delightful! Why did I only make a gallon!?

Old 12-12-2011, 02:36 AM   #109
Mia
Recipes 

Any ideas on how to make it less sweet but with the same flavor? I'm not a big sweet wine drinker.

I bottled my JAOM today and was disappointed with the slightly rotted fruit after taste. The raspberry mead turned out better.
Mea

Old 12-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #110
Cambone
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
I bottled my JAOM today and was disappointed with the slightly rotted fruit after taste. The raspberry mead turned out better.
Mea
This goes away. Mine had a similar taste for a month or so and it eventually dissipated. Don't dump it and reserve judgement till at least 6 months has passed. Maybe 12.

Quick Reply