Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Knoopster's first mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2007, 05:31 PM   #11
knipknup
Bloody John Roberts
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well, absolutely no activity in the airlock now. I racked off the lees and measured 1.014 as FG.

Taste 'n such:
Slight legs, still pretty cloudy but a lot clearer than it was a few days ago.

A sweet aroma of clover apple and wood but no detectable maple that I can tell. Hot on the alcohol side - I think my eyes were burning. I better have a warning on the label to keep away from flames.

Pleasant mouth feel, not as hot as the aroma and not acidic or dry, seems to be mellowing already from the other day. Maybe I am paying more attention on this tasting.

Taste is also very pleasant; sweet with a very slight tartness of cranberry but pretty subtle. I think I detect some maple flavor, but whatever that taste is, it is overpowered by the apple and honey. Pretty stink'n good. I've only tasted mead one other time, and it was straight honey. This has a different taste than I remember from the other one, but I can't remember much about the other one.

Every pirate lives for something different. For some, it's the open sea. For others (the masochists), it's the food. For you, it's definitely the fighting. Two things complete your pirate persona: style and swagger. Maybe a little too much swagger sometimes -- but who really cares? Arr!

Last edited by knipknup; 07-02-2007 at 05:34 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2007, 10:17 PM   #12
knipknup
Bloody John Roberts

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Gravity today still 1.014. I put it in a keg and put about 1psi co2 on it, purging all o2 out during. I put a spunding valve on the keg and will let it sit at around 68F for another 30 days, monitoring the keg pressure.

Taste was a bit more mellow today with less alcohol up front and less aroma. Pretty sweet still.

Every pirate lives for something different. For some, it's the open sea. For others (the masochists), it's the food. For you, it's definitely the fighting. Two things complete your pirate persona: style and swagger. Maybe a little too much swagger sometimes -- but who really cares? Arr!

Old 11-18-2007, 01:42 PM   #13
knipknup
Bloody John Roberts

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I had a taste of this yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. It has mellowed a bunch since my last taste several months ago. In a year or two it should be good.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:13 PM   #14
mgayer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Congrats! It has been awhile but it sounds good.

In the Carboy:
Red wine
Roman Raisin Wine
Bottle aging/drinking:
Mead
Apple Wine (15% abv)
Strawberry Wine
Elder Flower Wine
Blue moon Clone

Old 11-04-2008, 12:48 AM   #15
knipknup
Bloody John Roberts

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well, it has been almost another year so I thought I'd post an update.

This is quite a bit clearer than it used to be and actually clearer than the photo appears. Taste is much more mellow - my eyes don't water anymore.
It has a strong honey aroma and taste with a twist of maple and tartness. The carbonation affects the mouthfeel a bit but isn't too bad. I kinda wish I left it still.
I need a couple opinions of it, so I will probably swing some into the LHS and to a few friends.

After that, I will let it sit another year. Patience pays! (sorry about the sideways pic, not sure how to fix that...)

Old 06-28-2009, 02:31 AM   #16
knipknup
Bloody John Roberts

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well, it has now been a bit over 2 years and I thought I'd pull some off the keg. I haven't had it chilled or on gas for at least a year and a half. It has just been sitting in the keg. Brilliant color and very smooth taste.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:52 PM   #17
njnear76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is really great. It's nice to have an update on the mead that you made 2 years ago.

I just bottled my first mead last week. It was a variation of Joe's Ancient Orange Mead (I used Montrachet and zested the orange.). I was not too happy with it. This gives me hope. So I have to ask is it worth the wait? Heh.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:21 PM   #18
Vuarra
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Very nice... I was thinking on reading this thread through that aging would help this mead a lot.

And it did... good job!

Fermenting: Real Ale, Extract Lager (with WLP830), India Pale Ale

Conditioning: Nothing

Drinking: Pale Ale from the keg

Old 07-19-2009, 08:34 PM   #19
knipknup
Bloody John Roberts

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It is definitely worth the wait, which is no problem because I'm not highly driven to drink mead very often. I presume it will last several more years. It is in a keg right now, but I may just bottle it up and stash it sometime.

My ancient orange mead turned out great and is much easier to drink than this one. I used clementines on that one and a mead yeast, so it turned out dryer than the recipe is supposed to. I don't like sweet though, so it is better for me. I just entered it in a contest, so I'll see how it goes.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:27 PM   #20
jdhiv4
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default ANY updates at THIS time?

Hi,

it has been a while since your last post on how this has aged. You did an awesome job of simply coming back and giving updates....cheers!

So.....did you bottle it out of the keg and stash some away? Is there any left? How does it taste now?

Thanks!

Quick Reply