Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Joe's Quick Grape Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2008, 04:21 PM   #11
CBBaron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painterman View Post
I was wondering about how to get by not adding sulphites, I have a friend that is allergic to them.

thanks
Leave it dry and bottle without the sulphites.
I don't think you can safely back-sweeten with honey without them.
You may however be able to make a sweet mead using non fermentable sugar like lactose or Splenda. This will not be the same as sweetening with honey.

Craig

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2009, 01:11 AM   #12
Mr. Nice Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Instead of adding the honey/sulphites step could I just leave this in the primary longer, then prime with corn sugar and bottle? I usually dont like to change the recipe but I dont have the Sulphites or campden tabs and no LHBS. Also how about D-47 or Montrachet yeast? (I just ordered some brewig stuff before I saw this recipe, darn it!)

Old 02-09-2009, 09:17 PM   #13
pizzaman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

How did this batch turn out? I know it was almost a year ago...I just started a batch of this today, followed the recipe from Got Mead - Mead (honeywine) making, mead drinking, mead recipes. My interpretation was that the juice and honey was to be topped up to 1 gallon with water. From your picture it looks like you didn't do this. Did it still turn out ok? Do you remember what your SG was?

For a 1 gallon batch I pulled an SG of 1.100 using a little over 2 lbs of honey, 64oz of grape juice, and about 6 cups of water to make it 1 gallon. I did substitute K1V-1116 as I didn't have any EC-1118 on hand, hopefully this won't make a difference in the quick fermentation and clearing time as the wifey and I are looking forward to this being ready in only 5 weeks.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:26 AM   #14
pizzaman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well I took a sample from the batch I made today, hasn't even been a full three weeks yet and this stuff is be-a-utiful. I can see many more of this being made in the immediate future. I'm gonna check the SG tomorrow and if it's low enough I'll be racking to start clearing. Already have plans to start a 5 gallon batch the beginning of march.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #15
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nice Guy View Post
Instead of adding the honey/sulphites step could I just leave this in the primary longer, then prime with corn sugar and bottle? I usually dont like to change the recipe but I dont have the Sulphites or campden tabs and no LHBS. Also how about D-47 or Montrachet yeast? (I just ordered some brewig stuff before I saw this recipe, darn it!)
The sulphites and sorbate step stabilize the mead to prevent renewed fermentation and then adding the additional honey makes a sweet mead. If you will to make a dry sparkling mead you could do as you propose and prime before bottling without stabilization.

I think D-47 is an excellent yeast for mead. Montrachet should work fine also.

Craig

Old 03-03-2009, 09:04 PM   #16
pizzaman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just racked my batch of quick grape mead into a secondary, on top of potassium sorbate, campden tablet, and honey. Took a sample while doing so and it was very yummy. I also dropped the sample from the hydrometer into a half full glass of apfelwein on accident, but it tasted freakin awesome...definitely some grape-apfelwein-mead experimenting coming up in the future. grapefelmead anyone?

Old 03-11-2009, 07:22 AM   #17
Mr. Nice Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
The sulphites and sorbate step stabilize the mead to prevent renewed fermentation and then adding the additional honey makes a sweet mead. If you will to make a dry sparkling mead you could do as you propose and prime before bottling without stabilization.

I think D-47 is an excellent yeast for mead. Montrachet should work fine also.

Craig
Thanks Craig!

10/13 on the way - Strong Ale!

Old 03-14-2009, 03:12 PM   #18
like2brew
Recipes 

sounds good i might give it a shot. will probably do it right in the juice bottle too

Old 03-15-2009, 02:59 AM   #19
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6035 Times on 5280 Posts
Likes Given: 688

I just made a batch last night and my airlock is pretty much full! Give yourself some head space - especially if you use EC-1118. I guess you could probably short yourself a couple cups of water, and then top off in a week or so when the major activity ceases...

Old 03-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #20
juvinious
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 4 Posts

I made 5 gallons of this back on december 16th. I was in the process of moving and left this it my old house in january so I didn't get a chance to rack it and back sweeten with more juice and honey. I went there this weekend to pick up some other stuff I left behind and decided to bottle it, got 26 bottles . Popped a bottle open last night to get a feel for it. It has a very nice nose and pleasant taste. However I feel it is extremely dry, I don't know if it's the acidity of the Welche's but man it's like cotton mouth city. I'll let the other bottles sit for a while before I pop open another one.

Bottled: Pyment | Strawberry Melomel

Quick Reply