Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #981
400d
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

after almost two years

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #982
LoneTreeFarms
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 45

i believe they thought you were trolling for a fight because you have made this three times and dumped it all three times after only 3 days. as the directions state stick it in a closet and forget it for two months, now that being said it shouldn't matter which yeast you use as long as its fresh. you will also want to leave this alittle lower than the neck of a one gallon glass jug, i've experienced a mess when the orange peel blocked the neck and filled the airlock. don't get too disappointed, everyone that i've met on here has been extremely helpful with everything i've tried to make and had questions with.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhush View Post
I am disappointed about the indifference and rudeness shown by the majority of the responses.

No, I am not "trolling" - whatever that means.

My question was a serious one about the type of bread yeast.

Unless you have lived in Korea you have no clue about the difficulties trying to get home-brewing equipment or ingredients.

So - back to my initial question - does it matter the type of bread yeast used. It seems that a lot of people have mentioned a certain brand "Fleishmanns' or something like that.

Am i right to understand from the absence of a direct answer that the type of tread yeast does not matter: Instant, active etc?

Hopefully, my next post won't make me look so dumb!
Old 10-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #983
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1540 Times on 1094 Posts
Likes Given: 2406

If this was a serious question I do indeed apologize. Sometimes people here post fake questions with the intention of getting the regular posters annoyed, and many of us thought your post was one of these.

The advice I gave you, however, I stand by. Whatever you are smelling you should ignore for now, particularly in the first 3 days before its even halfway through fermentation! Next batch you make, make sure your equiptment is sterilized (a tablespoon of bleach to a gallon of hot water will work if you have nothing else) and then make the batch exactly as before, using the same yeast you used before. The brand name on the yeast is of very little importance (personally, I use Di-Go yeast from Croatia, only because I have a lot of it)

If you get a bad odor early on, try your best to ignore it. I promise you it will be worth it 2-4 months down the line.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

nhush Likes This 
Old 10-17-2012, 11:25 PM   #984
nhush
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Thanks to LoneTreeFarms and Creamygoodness.

I'll stick with the yeast I've got and give it one more go.

Honey is the killer though - its big bucks over here in Korea.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:33 AM   #985
RJ15092
Recipes 

I have just started a batch of JAOM. This is my first attempt at any type of home brewing. I just pitched my the yeast today, unfortunately I misread the packets of yeast and pitched roughly twice as much as the recipe calls for. Did I just ruin my mead? It is my understanding the yeast can only tolerate about 10% alcohol. Hopefully someone can give me some advise, should I trash this batch and start over or is there hope?

Thanks in Advance

Old 10-18-2012, 04:54 AM   #986
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ15092
I have just started a batch of JAOM. This is my first attempt at any type of home brewing. I just pitched my the yeast today, unfortunately I misread the packets of yeast and pitched roughly twice as much as the recipe calls for. Did I just ruin my mead? It is my understanding the yeast can only tolerate about 10% alcohol. Hopefully someone can give me some advise, should I trash this batch and start over or is there hope?

Thanks in Advance
Don't trash the batch, it's fine. Absolutely nothing bad will happen.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:05 AM   #987
RJ15092
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber

Don't trash the batch, it's fine. Absolutely nothing bad will happen.
Glad to hear that, thanks.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #988
nhush
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I managed to find these two types of fermenter online and so I am wondering if anyone can foresee any problems if I use them for JOAM? They seem rather wide at the top. Do you think they are worth buying. The red/green one is 25 litres and costs about $23. The blue one is 10 litres and costs about $40. How about the screw-on lid?

Should I save more money and go for glass carboys instead?

1.jpg   2.jpg  

Old 10-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #989
sielm
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I've brewed JAOM into 5 liter plastic water bottles and it's perfectly fine. In fact I forgot one bottle for more than 1 year (without racking! lol...) and after racking it was perfectly fine and tasty. The solid residue in the bottom was not pretty to the eyes though! It looked like cheese with lots of holes...

BTW the most important thing about yeast is that it's alive yeast, not a gassificant (chemical yeast) because that will not produce any alcohol at all!

Best of luck!

Old 10-20-2012, 07:36 AM   #990
billslaw1024
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Two weeks ago I made a variation of this recipe. This is my first attempt at mead. I used 2.5 lbs of honey and an orange. I used bread yeast and a little cider yeast (I made a cider one week ago and pitched some of wyeast cider yeast into this mead). I foolishly didn't take an OG reading. I took a reading earlier and the gravity has dropped to 1.00. It is very dry and the orange flavor is unbelievably good. But it is still very cloudy. I'm just going to let it sit for another month and a half and see what it looks like then. Since it is so dry, I'm thinking about adding a little priming sugar at bottling time to carbonate it a bit. I'm wishing I had made more than a gallon. I don't think I'll have the patience to age this for long after it is bottled.

Quick Reply