Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2011, 08:20 PM   #571
brok3n
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Just trying to see if my mead has 'cleared' out enough. I started the brew Oct 10th and this is what I'm staring at.

I'm itching to bottle this (and try it!). Is it ready or should I wait?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 08:51 PM   #572
jgerard
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I've read to wait until the oranges drop or at least 2 months. I've only done one batch, started it in september and bottled it early this month a week or so after the oranges dropped.

One week in bottles made a huge difference, I wasn't sure id like it because I tasted it when I bottled and it wasn't that pleasant. It was amazing a week later and I could taste every ingrdient! Can't wait to see how it tastes in a few months. (Wish idve made more than one gal)

Edit: I think I used a half pound of honey less than the recipe said, its still very sweet.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #573
brok3n
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgerard View Post
I've read to wait until the oranges drop or at least 2 months. I've only done one batch, started it in september and bottled it early this month a week or so after the oranges dropped.

One week in bottles made a huge difference, I wasn't sure id like it because I tasted it when I bottled and it wasn't that pleasant. It was amazing a week later and I could taste every ingrdient! Can't wait to see how it tastes in a few months. (Wish idve made more than one gal)

Edit: I think I used a half pound of honey less than the recipe said, its still very sweet.
Well, thankfully thats only a couple more weeks. :P I was hoping to bottle some and give them out as gifts for christmas... I guess I should probably include a disclaimer for letting it sit in the bottle to age properly.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #574
hippo8046
Recipes 

I started one over the summer and waited until just a few days ago to move to another carboy for racking. Everything had dropped out, including the last few raisins! The color was a beautiful golden honey hue and it looked amazing. I also had another batch that was started over the summer and managed to sample it a few days ago. From beginning to tasting took about 6 months. I would say it is very hot still. Very hot, I am going to wait until at least a year to taste again. I hope this mead will mellow out a bit more.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:44 PM   #575
hippo8046
Recipes 

Using any yeast other than bakers yeast will greatly improve the flavor of your mead. Instead of getting a bread like taste, from the baking yeast you will get something more wine or mead like.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #576
commonsenseman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippo8046
Using any yeast other than bakers yeast will greatly improve the flavor of your mead. Instead of getting a bread like taste, from the baking yeast you will get something more wine or mead like.
Not true. This recipe specifically calls for bread yeast, anything else voids the warranty. It's designed to leave a certain amount of residual sweetness to balance the bitterness.

"EC-1118 is a monster yeast. But it is also clean and quick. Like a humane serial killer."

1 Gal: Brandon O's-Graff
2 Gal: Big Ol' Barleywine
5 Gal: Graham's English Cider
5 Gal: Apfelwein

Old 11-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #577
hippo8046
Recipes 

I know it says that in recipe, I'm just talking from personal experience and my own preferences.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #578
KCBigDog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Bottled mine today after 6 months. Haven't tried it yet, and to be honest I'm a little afraid to taste it. I made Joe's Quick Grape Mead at the same time, and it didn't agree with my taste buds.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:30 AM   #579
PartTimeJedi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bottled this after 4 months in the primary. Like others have said, it is still very hot. How long in bottles before this mellows out some? The taste is good but I can't drink much of it at a time due to the alcohol level.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:36 AM   #580
Weenis
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weenis View Post
I justed racked it a second time because it is still not clear after four and a half months. This time there was residue at the bottom, but it was not yeast. It was dark brown almost black. I remembered that I used ground cloves and cinnamon. That was a mistake since it is still cloudy.

I can't taste the orange or the spice. The aroma is mostly that of alcohol with a hint of decayed orange. The flavor is sweet nutty honey with a slight alcohol burn. The honey flavor is "big" and it is too sweet for my tastes. My brain is a bit confused ... expecting something with honey flavor to be thick and sticky. I have never tasted mead of any kind before so maybe I just am not a fan.

I tweaked a small glass and found that adding some fresh squeezed lemon juice seemed to help take the edge off the sweetness and a few grains of ground clove made it more interested. I tried heating it but this made the alcohol burn more noticeable. It was better over ice.
I racked it for a third time today at 8 months. It is very dark and somewhat clear. A single glass of it is clear enough but the 5 gallon container looks quite murky. There was another load of dark brown (almost black) spice residue at the bottom. I noticed this was not like compact lees so it was getting sucked into the auto-siphon so I stopped and poured the final quart into a separate container.

It smells like honey now, the odor of alcohol and orange from August is gone. The flavor is just sweet honey with just a little alcohol heat. I can't taste the orange or spice at all. If I was a bee this would be great!

I decided to taste the last quart of cloudy brown sludge stuff. It has more non-honey spice flavor. Almost like mulled cider. I nuked a mug of it for 30 seconds and it was actually better hot, in a mulled cider sort of way. I tried heating the mead (not the sludge) back in August but the "alcohol burn" was too strong back then so that has either mellowed in the last 3.5 month or I am more tolerant of such things when it is 30 degrees out.

At this point I'm fairly sure a good filter could be used to clear the black sludge out of the remaining 4+ gallons to yield clear yellow mead but, at the same time, I'm not sure if I even like mead that way. It is so much sweeter than my usual drinks. I think I will just continue to bulk age it until its 1 year birthday and then bottle it. If the flavor doesn’t grow on my by next winter I’ll make this hot wassail drink out of it.

Quick Reply