Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2011, 03:40 AM   #361
Eves
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by akthor View Post
Can this stuff be carbonated?
Yes it can. I believe many have done it. Its just surprising to end up with it carbonated when you didn't plan on it

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2011, 04:10 AM   #362
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

better make sure you like mead before you brew this. i aged it 1,5 years, and it was harsh. people told me i tried it young... it'll tie up a secondary for at least 2 years

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 01-31-2011, 11:17 AM   #363
400d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I don't get it. My mead tastes great, even during fermentation. Yesterday I pulled a sample and tried it 20 days after pitching the yeast, and it was delicious. I can't wait for couple of months more.....It's gonna be a bomb!

Many people mention harsh flavor, but it certainly is not the case with my mead.

I used acacia honey to make it.....

Old 01-31-2011, 12:30 PM   #364
Mustangj

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Mine turned out OK, not great. I've tasted a couple other's. And not so great.

Michigan Mashers
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/michigan-mashers/

Old 01-31-2011, 12:30 PM   #365
400d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I used red wine yeast though.....

Old 01-31-2011, 11:26 PM   #366
Coldies
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I just bottled mine after 9 weeks. I did a DIY wax top on my bottles and plan on cracking them during summer time. I did get a taste of mine of course and its still a little young with that almost hot liquor taste. But I can't wait to try it after it ages even more.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #367
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm making this tonight - attempting a 5 gal batch and seeing what happens. Can't wait!

GrassLands Brewery

Old 02-16-2011, 03:07 PM   #368
sielm
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Hello all! I'm a newbie homebrewer, who has always wanted to taste Mead (or hidromiel as we call it here). I chose this method of brewing because of its simplicity and easy to get ingredients. I purchased some airlocks and proper yeast online to start brewing some decent drinks, but they are still on their way here... So in the meanwhile I tried this method following all the instructions except for the airlocks and recipients. Since I did not have any airlock I used latex balloons, using also a needle to prick a hole on them, to cover the fermenting bottles. I have quite an amount of "experiments" going on! All of them follow this recipe, scaled down to 2 liter and 1.5 liter recipients, because those were the only ones I had available.

My question is, does a smaller recipient imply a shorter fermenting time? And what do you think of ballons for airlocks? I know using them is not very professional, but I wanted to try the method so that maybe I can get some drinkable mead. Always wanted to try mead since I read The Lord Of The Rings more than 20 years ago

Thanks for reading, and keep on brewing! This forum is really really great. Best regards!

Old 02-18-2011, 02:57 PM   #369
Grasslands
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I actually made two batches:

A 1-gallon JOAM with agave instead of honey - started bubbling within 12 minutes.

A 3-gallon JOAM with clove honey - used 2 packets of fleishman's yeast. Didn't realize the airlock had evaporated after 10 days.

I zested the oranges and juiced them instead of throwing the whole slices into the mix. Also used ground up cloves too. Been about two weeks now and they're both still going strong. Raisins have lost their color though - can't wait for everything to fall out!

GrassLands Brewery

Old 02-20-2011, 01:52 AM   #370
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Well, I just made my own version of JAOM, can't wait for it to finish. This is my first mead, and I'm pretty excited. Here's what I did.

I had 12 lbs of honey that a co-worker gave me. It was in a gallon plastic milk jug, and just said "Honey" on the outside, so no clue what kind it is. I'm guessing maybe Orange Blossom, since the honey was from his father's farm, and we're in Florida? Who knows...

Anyway, I dissolved the honey in to enough water to bring the total volume to 5.5 gallons. I wanted a lower alcohol mead, and am hoping it might be drinkable a little quicker because of it. The OG turned out to be 1.080. If it finishes around 1.020, it should end up at ~7.5% ABV.

I used blood oranges instead of regular oranges, mainly because they're in season and I've been wanting to brew something using blood oranges. Hopefully they will add a cool pinkish color to the mead.

I peeled, zested, and split up the blood oranges, and used 4 total. I didn't want to get that pithy taste that has been described in this thread in my mead. I added 3 handfuls of raisins, 2 cinnamon sticks, 2 whole cloves, a dash of allspice, a dash of nutmeg, and mixed it all together. I aerated for a few minutes by shaking my Ale Pail, and pitched my yeast.

I decided to use Safale S-33, since I had it sitting in my fridge. Malkore described using this yeast on a few meads with success, so I figured I'd use it since I already had it. I'm still planning on leaving it in primary for two months, and then bottling. I'm also planning on carbonating the mead, and really hope it will be ready over the summer. It should turn out to be a great, light summer beverage, great for drinking on the beach.

I'll keep you guys posted!

My Beer Review Blog: Beer Review Dude
My Craft Beer Social Network: Craft Beer Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Quick Reply