Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2010, 10:24 PM   #341
sharpstick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama2112 View Post
My first batch, in primary just shy of 3 months. Completely cleared recently so I figured it was ready. None of the fruit had dropped though. Checked S.G. and it was at 1.056, extremely sweet! No time to really try the restarting procedures properly so I topped off, added some yeast nutrient, incorporated some oxygen and dropped some Cuvee to see what happens. Better than pouring it down the sink!
i wouldn't add more yeast. it will just take off and make it stronger and need more aging, basically leaving joe's concept recipe behind. if it's clear, it's probably ready,although i like to wait 5 to 6 months. the fruit doesn't have to "drop" usually mine has about half sink to the bottom and half float to the top. perfectly normal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010, 12:22 AM   #342
akthor
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

I really want to make this but all my fermenting and brewing gear has been banished to the basement. Is it possible to make this at basement temps? 60 - 64F I would like to make a 5 gallon batch and just leave for 6 or 7 months and have it this summer.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:44 PM   #343
billc68
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just tried some JAOM and Scotch kinda like a rusty nail (Drambuie and Scotch) pretty tasty.
I find the JAOM a little sweet on it's own.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:16 AM   #344
AwesomeSquad
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just a quick question, my yeast was working for a couple days but now after about a month it has all settled on the bottom and its no where near clear. Should I pitch some more?

I am gonna get so drunk that people around me will become genuinely concerned for my wellbeing.

I am gonna get so drunk that animals that live in the sewers will die from alcohol poisoning when I urinate.

I am gonna drink so much that brewers panic by the sudden loss of beer and they start pulling so much water out of the ocean to replenish their supply that the pull the moon has on the ocean is thrown off and the moon goes drifting off into space and the earth drifts into the sun.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:40 AM   #345
dummkauf
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSquad View Post
Just a quick question, my yeast was working for a couple days but now after about a month it has all settled on the bottom and its no where near clear. Should I pitch some more?
What does your hydrometer say?

Old 12-12-2010, 12:33 AM   #346
bigbopper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

im doing this again,its so easy! i had mixed results on the samping. some LOVED it, others eh,not so much,but my family(no bmc drinkers)seemed to enjoy it alot. i saved a couple bottles for christmas eve.edit:i made mine with grapefruit and craisins/dried wild blueberries

Old 12-25-2010, 02:24 AM   #347
Kershner_Ale
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by akthor View Post
I really want to make this but all my fermenting and brewing gear has been banished to the basement. Is it possible to make this at basement temps? 60 - 64F I would like to make a 5 gallon batch and just leave for 6 or 7 months and have it this summer.
Yep, that'll work fine.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #348
daugenet
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Is anyone stabilizing their mead before the bottle it? I am pretty sure that I am at my FG (waiting another week to see if it moves anymore) of 1.031. I plan to let it sit for another couple months but I am just getting my game plan going right now. I tasted the sample last night and it was pretty good already which makes me excited to see how it is in the months to come.

For my batch the changes I made were using tangelos and using wyeast sweat mead yeast.

I did have trouble getting the yeast started but raising the temp in the house seemed to fix that problem. (programmable thermostat in the house brought the temp down to 62 while I was at work, 67 made the yeasties very happy)

Old 12-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #349
Setheus
Recipes 

Default JAOM Sparkling?

I've made a few of these in various forms. I'm now wondering if this can be carbed with corn sugar? I don't know if that yeast can do anything with the sugar? I've followed the recipe every time with variation on the fruit, and had success. I just don't know if it'll work. Any thoughts?

Ayn Rand

Old 12-31-2010, 04:27 AM   #350
KoedBrew
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default 2 batches

Ok so my plan is to do two almost identical batches of this...

1st exactly how it is described here by Yooper
2nd everything the same, except I am using some Dry Mead yeast!

So I should have a sweet and a dry?? Or should I cut out some honey for the dry? Any ideas? I am going to do it tomorrow morning. I already have all the goods.

Quick Reply