Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2010, 04:49 AM   #261
Dave258
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Wine yeast? Not even Mead yeast? My first time so I don't know.
I bought six pounds of it. My wife and daughter love it. When I told the guy I was making mead, and that I homebrew, he said he gives brewers discounts. The label said $12 for a 2 pound jar. He charged me $9 each ($27 for 6 pounds). He even said he would do trades with me for homebrew. I thought that was cool!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #262
natureboy68
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

well i jumped on the JAOM wagon! a buddy made some and it tasted good, after it aged a while...i am thinking that this will be drinkable around the winter solstice...i followed the recipe exactly, i added a pinch of allspice and nutmeg...cheers!

Old 04-30-2010, 11:05 PM   #263
meading_of_minds
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I started a new one of these 4-27-10. I used the zest of one very large orange and about a 1/2 cup of orange juice. I only put a little clove and allspice. It's bubbling away quite happily in my kitchen. I'm going to do a couple of these with some christmasy spice to give to friends as gifts. Especially if this comes out better than my first ones. I am going to amend my first ones a little and rebottle. Gotta do something, my DH already drank all my other meads! But this is a fun recipe.

Love the pix, btw!

Old 05-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #264
Guinness
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Always with the yeast questions...

I've got almost everything to make this mead (my first mead!) but haven't decided on a yeast.

I don't have any redstar, but do have Fleishman's bread yeast, which I think is pretty close. I've also got some EC-1118, but that stuff has pretty good attenuation, and I'm worried it will dry it out too much. I've also got three beer yeasts, Nottingham, Windsor and some Wyeast 1056.

Any advice? Tx!

Primary -- empty :(
Secondary -- Apple cider
In Keg -- Wheat Ale
Bottled -- Bennington Wedding Ale
On Deck -- Rogenbier

Old 05-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #265
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4955 Times on 3588 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Always with the yeast questions...

I've got almost everything to make this mead (my first mead!) but haven't decided on a yeast.

I don't have any redstar, but do have Fleishman's bread yeast, which I think is pretty close. I've also got some EC-1118, but that stuff has pretty good attenuation, and I'm worried it will dry it out too much. I've also got three beer yeasts, Nottingham, Windsor and some Wyeast 1056.

Any advice? Tx!
The bread yeast worked fine, and it stayed sweet. The only thing is, bread yeast produces some very fine sediment, and even just looking at it funny caused sediment to stir up when I went to bottle it. I'd probably go with the Windsor.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 05-08-2010, 09:39 PM   #266
Guinness
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Windsor, eh? Lol - a bit of a bete noir for beer, it is also notorious for not settling out very well!

Ok, thanks.

How come this recipe works without the staggered nutrient additions mentioned in the mead making FAQ?

Secondary -- Apple cider
In Keg -- Wheat Ale
On Deck -- Rogenbier

Old 05-09-2010, 01:52 AM   #267
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4955 Times on 3588 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
The Windsor, eh? Lol - a bit of a bete noir for beer, it is also notorious for not settling out very well!

Ok, thanks.

How come this recipe works without the staggered nutrient additions mentioned in the mead making FAQ?
It's got some other "stuff" besides honey that provides nutrients. Honey doesn't really have any nutrients in it, just sugar, and so the yeast will get stressed trying to ferment it. This is a quick mead, and the raisins provide nutrients.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 05-09-2010, 04:27 AM   #268
Guinness
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That makes sense; potassium is one of the things that honey is short of, and I know oranges are a good source.

Thanks for a great recipe to get me started on mead - it's in a Carlo Gavassi jug, hopefully to start bubbling soon. Scary OG though - 1.150! For a beer brewer, that's some unfamiliar territory!

Secondary -- Apple cider
In Keg -- Wheat Ale
On Deck -- Rogenbier

Old 05-10-2010, 12:52 AM   #269
sharpstick
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:

Any advice? Tx!
yes, you're in the wrong forum. if you don't like bread yeast, go with a more traditional recipe. go back to page one and read what joe said.
if you really think you know what you're doing, or just like to experiment and risk wasting honey, please report back and let us know how it worked, but if you want to make this recipe and are asking for advice from those who already have, stick close to the original, especially with yeast.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:05 AM   #270
jim_reaper1066
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I finally bottled my JOAM made with blood oranges after 5 months in the primary (kinda forgot about it), and I have to say it is definitely not what I expected. The smell is overpowering from the cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg, and not in a good way. The small sip I took was also overpowered from the spice and way way too sweet. I also wish I had racked this to a secondary as it is impossible to go from the gallon jug to a bottling bucket and not disturb the sediment, it was crystal clear but now its murkier then a hefeweizen. I had followed the original directions to a tee, however I guess it just didn't turn out too well for me. I think Im going to forget about these bottles under my bed for a few years and see how it turns out then.

Quick Reply