Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #241
HIM_Tattoos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Made this today, minus the raisins, and I used blood oranges. First mead, so I'll let you know in like 8-12 months. Thanks yooper, for starting me down another slippery slope, making a different batch next week..... swmbo's gonna hate me when she sees my order from Morebeer.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2010, 02:53 AM   #242
Blindguardian
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As I do not really want to read all 240 posts let me say that I am sorry if this has already been asked.

How does this mead taste? Sweet? Semi-sweet? or Dry?
What flavor would you say it has?

I am looking for a mead that is sweet with a very good honey - orange taste to it.
Also let me say that I have never made a mead before that is the reasons for the questions.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:09 AM   #243
ruger12pk
Recipes 

It has a tendency towards Semi-sweet. I know Ive back sweetened some before. it depends on how far your yeast ends up taking it. its a fantastic and simple recipe. IF you follow it exactly...the ONLY change that "I" do is substitute Lalvin D-47 yeast . If you think its a bit less sweet than you like it at the finish, then by all means back sweeten it with some Honey until it gets to where you like it!

"I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, I love only that which they defend.”

Old 02-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #244
LightningInABottle
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you want to make this come out better than the original recipe try 2 things

1. Do NOT put the whole oranges in! Juice the oranges or you will get a pithy taste.

2. Try using D47 or 71b yeast instead of bakers yeast.

This was the first recipe I tried and it ended up with a yucky pithy taste, which goes away with time. But if you want yours done and drinkable faster follow the above suggestions. I tried this recipe before I found this site. Now that I am have read Hightest's stickies in the Mead forum and Ken Schramm's book I am making much better mead than this. I would hate for people who have been brewing other things to try this recipe and think that all meads suck! For an orange mead you might look up the Blood Orange Mead thread. They are in stores right now and mine is really tasty!

Rainyn Likes This 
Old 02-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #245
jim_reaper1066
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I put on 2 1 gal batches the same evening (10/01/10), one with a large naval orange and the other with a blood orange. The naval batch is starting to clear nicely, but the blood batch is still a little turbid. Cant wait to test them out.

Based on the comments here I plan on doing 2 more batches, both with D47 and one with juiced/zested oranges, either blood or naval depending on which turns out better.

I would start these sooner but I don't have any extra 1 gal glass bottles, and there quite a few bucks to buy new around here. Im a little weary to try using a #5 plastic juice bottle, but lots of people here seem to be using them. Can anyone out there set me strait on the glass/plastic bottle situation?

Old 02-15-2010, 04:00 AM   #246
pilot210
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made a batch of this yesterday...first mead ever for me. I followed the recipe exactly. It's bubbling nicely, though it hasn't produced a lot of foam. Can't wait to try it!

Old 02-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #247
Pivot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just cracked a bottle of this after about 4 months. I pitched too much of the bread yeast so it fermented out completely. The stuff is really good. At 4 months its still kind of hot and warm inside after you drink it, but im sure that will dissipate with time. The flavour from the cinammon stick is the dominant flavour that Im getting. A hint of fruit from the orange but really there isnt too much to speak of. Very tasty. Ill be making this again but hopefully I can get it a little sweeter the way it was intended to be.

Primary
Dark Belgian, Hobgoblin Clone

Kegged
Dark Ale

Bottled
Fruit Braggot, EdWort's Apfelwein, Coffee American Stout

Old 02-28-2010, 08:26 PM   #248
psychedelic_brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm just posting to brag on this recipe.

I helped my friend bottle his about 2 hours ago and straight from the bottling bucket this stuff tasted SUPERB. He had it in primary for 4 months and it's just fantastic. This will probably be added to my to-do list. GREAT RECIPE!

edit: btw he followed the ingredients according to the OP, not the revisions that were made. Still SUPERB!

you seen me walk on burning bridges
you seen me fall in love with witches
and you know my brain is held inside by stitches
yet you know I did survive all of your lovely sieges

and you know that I'll pick up every time you call
just to thank you one more time, alcohol

Old 03-03-2010, 11:28 PM   #249
Rocky71
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Just got all the stuff from the grocery store for this and hope to make it later tonight when my back recovers a bit. Also stopped by Nebraska Brewing for a growler of wheat and Cornhusker Beverage for some sarsaparilla extract (making the kids some soda) and picked up an extra primary bucket, airlocks, etc to start a new brew soon. It's only been 3 - 4 days since I made my first brew. I think I may have issues.

Last edited by Rocky71; 03-03-2010 at 11:52 PM.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #250
Ryan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Any of you guys who have done a larger batch have any issues with clearing? I did a 3g batch at the begining of Decemeber and it is still pretty cloudy.

Quick Reply